Your pick with the 9th overall selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
habs should just pick 9th and pick a good forward. Yes the Habs have 2x 2nd rounders but the trade to be made in this draft is if MB can trade a current ( tradeable player) for someones 12th -15 th pick in order to land say Gauthier or even Brown if he drops.

Wandering Maroon

Sep 11, 2010
Jost or bust! Have you looked at our center depth. Audette, Gregoire, McMillan, Bradley, Vejdemo. Sergachev or Mccleod could be a fit. Centers and Defence have to be the priority. Whatever they do don't trade a 2nd rd pick to move up, unless they can get Edmonton's pick.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
No defenseman at 9 please. I'd rank the plausible forwards:

Jost
Nylander
Keller
Brown

There's no reason to expect Dubois or Tkachuk to slide to 9th. Add them to the Big Three and it is sure that at least one of the forwards above , and probably two or more, will be available to the Habs at 9.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Unless you're drafting a top 5 D man, it always feels like such a crap shoot to draft a defencemen in the first round. I don't know the stats but it seems like some if not most of the better defencemen in the league are either top 5 or 2nd round plus.

In the top 1 is rather take a home run swing on an offensive player and hope he can develop into a pure goal scorer. Jost and Keller seem to fit that bill unless a Nylander falls to us which seems unlikely.

That high a pick you need to go with most talent available and not a stable type player IMO. Someone should tell Bergevin it's OK to draft a unidimensional player if he's REALLY good at scoring.

acadiange

Jul 30, 2005
Trade PK

I think they should trade PK with his value thru the roof in the US markets and not a good influence in the dressing room (maybe other teams have heard this too and MTL would be crucified like when the correctly traded Halak-I predicted the Halak trade).

Columbus may do this - their 1st and Seth Jones to Mtl for PK (and maybe Mtl 1st or one of their 2nd). Then Montreal picks Jesse Puljujärvi Matthew Tkachuk or Pierre-Luc Dubois.

Mad Brills*

Cox has the habs taking jost. Though they pass on sergachev in his scenario

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I think they should trade PK with his value thru the roof in the US markets and not a good influence in the dressing room (maybe other teams have heard this too and MTL would be crucified like when the correctly traded Halak-I predicted the Halak trade).

Columbus may do this - their 1st and Seth Jones to Mtl for PK (and maybe Mtl 1st or one of their 2nd). Then Montreal picks Jesse Puljujärvi Matthew Tkachuk or Pierre-Luc Dubois.

You watch RDS too much.

acadiange

Jul 30, 2005
<You watch RDS too much.>

NEVER!!!! lol Same principle that Montreal would grossly overpay for a French Canadian star.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Jost or bust! Have you looked at our center depth. Audette, Gregoire, McMillan, Bradley, Vejdemo. Sergachev or Mccleod could be a fit. Centers and Defence have to be the priority. Whatever they do don't trade a 2nd rd pick to move up, unless they can get Edmonton's pick.

But that's the question, are the Habs drafting based on needs or BPA? Because everyone always says BPA, but it seems here that the consensus is to draft on needs.

Lehkonen4Calder

Feb 24, 2015

The same Seth Jones they just got for Ryan Johanssen and a third overall? Colombus laugh and say no

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Where are you getting this from?

He's a hard worker and actually shows emotions, contrary to some. If we trade Subban, we don't make the POs next year, healthy Price or not.

Also, Colombus won't trade what is the equivalent of 2 top5 picks for Subban.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

1st plus Jones??? No way Columbus is doing that. Plus, if Montreal wants Tkachuk or Dubois, Columbus won't be the team to talk to since both players are not going top-3.

Habruti!

Mar 5, 2002
Gatineau
Visit site
Subban is good. But he's been that good because he's been playing with Markov. We will need a good no2 LHD

See this is my sentiment exactly! Remove Markov and i am not sure you are talking about a Norris type Dmen. I would be willing to part with Subban for the proper deal...

Edmonton would be the logical choice...

Nurse, hall, 4th

For subban++

We draft Dubois at 4 and never look back.. 2 years from now the roster look like this

Hall, Gallchenyuk, Gallagher
Pacioretty, Dubois, Sherback
Eller, McCaron, Lekonen
JDLR,Daneault,Matteau

Nurse, Petry
Beaulieu, Julsen
Emelin, Patteryn

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
See this is my sentiment exactly! Remove Markov and i am not sure you are talking about a Norris type Dmen. I would be willing to part with Subban for the proper deal...

Nurse, hall, 4th

For subban++

We draft Dubois at 4 and never look back.. 2 years from now the roster look like this

Eller, McCaron, Lekonen
JDLR,Daneault,Matteau

Nurse, Petry
Beaulieu, Julsen
Emelin, Patteryn

Subban won the Norris with Bouillon and Gorges.

He's been covering for Markov's ass most of the year.

Do people even watch the games? What happened the last time Petry was a team's N.1 defenseman?

acadiange

Jul 30, 2005

Nurse, hall, 4th

For subban++

Eller, McCaron, Lekonen
JDLR,Daneault,Matteau

Nurse, Petry
Beaulieu, Julsen
Emelin, Patteryn

This is similar to the Columbus trade but this assumes that Edmonton will overpay for Subban as I think Columbus would. It is debatable whether Markov helped Subban or Subban gave Markov extra years in the NHL. I think Edmonton would be crazy to do this one as Nurse is highly regarded.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
But that's the question, are the Habs drafting based on needs or BPA? Because everyone always says BPA, but it seems here that the consensus is to draft on needs.

Team need and player impact are both random variables, and they both impact the value of the player drafted to a given franchise. A strategy which maximizes the expected joint player impact and player fit should pretty clearly dominate a strategy which optimizes over only one or the other.

It's a hard problem, for sure, but some useful heuristics could probably be used to get a decent solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad