Your pick with the 9th overall selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
My ultimate wishlist would be Nylander to fall to us. This will make us much better offensively. But Jost at 9th overall would be exciting too.

Jost, Brown, Nylander, Sergachev...so many great potential picks here. I'm really hoping to get 2 great players out of this draft. Whether we get a great one with one of our 2nds, or package them to get another 1st and grab someone who's dropped. Gauthier is my dream 2nd 1st rounder...I really think he could be a special player and he seems to be out of the top 15 for many.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Defense only wins you championships when you have game breaking forwards to score first...which we desperately need.

I agree with you. Please make Timmins/Bergevin draft Clayton Keller. People are making his size a much bigger issue than it is. The guy is 5'ft10 at the moment, and one of the youngest players in the draft. He is fast, highly skilled and creative, and a natural center. In two years, DD and Plekanec are gone. Our centers would be Galchenyuk, Keller, Eller, McCarron/De la Rose. I don't think size will be an issue. Jost is a good prospect, but he is not in the same class as Keller in terms of pure offense, and this is our greatest need. Jost was basically a non-factor in the semi-final and bronze medal game. I find it hard to be impressed with him raking up points against inferior opponents.

People keep saying that Plekanec is the perfect second C. We have the chance to draft somebody with similar size, but with much better skills for that position. IMO, Keller is equivalent to Mitch Marner for the Leafs. Nobody care about Marner's size. Please hockey gods, make it happen! It is so obvious. Sergachev is my favorite D this year, but there is so much more risk with such a player.

bbob

Nov 27, 2015
Think Habs need/should trade up to at least try get Dubois, but try harder for Laine(prob wpg keep pick) cause Habs are not going to be picking this high again for a long time. Even with MB as coach, won't get close to a 9th pick next year so they need to use it as added value. Laine is worth giving up a good piece cause him and Galchenyuk would be crazy to watch for years. Plus side Laine is said to be nhl ready so that helps, Habs badly need a highend prospect/player.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
The top 3 are now officially off the table for trades. I cannot fathom either Toronto, Winnipeg or Columbus moving those picks, they all desperately need those impact franchise players.

Now, number 4 could be available, especially if the 9th is in play in the deal. Edmonton could very well want to move down if they can get a nice piece.

:edmonton

9th overall
Nathan Beaulieu/Noah Juulsen
39th overall

:habs

4th overall

I would do this. Montreal could then look to get another LHD via trade. One that can fill the top 4 void.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The top 3 are now officially off the table for trades. I cannot fathom either Toronto, Winnipeg or Columbus moving those picks, they all desperately need those impact franchise players.

Now, number 4 could be available, especially if the 9th is in play in the deal. Edmonton could very well want to move down if they can get a nice piece.

9th overall
39th overall

4th overall

I would do this. Montreal could then look to get another LHD via trade. One that can fill the top 4 void.

Absolutely awful.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
I don't like this sentiment about having to replace Markov, like somehow if we pick Sergachev or someone else 9th overall he's automatically a first pairing D and a Markov replacement. It understates just how good Markov has been for us for so long. Sure, he's not what he used to be but he was a great defenceman for a long time. It also doesn't take into account just how long a defenceman needs to develop.

We have a #1 D in Subban. We don't need an equally good #1 D on the left side. Just someone who compliments him well and can eat some minutes.

Take the top player on the list at 9th. Personally I hope it's a forward like Jost, Brown or Keller. As others have said, some good defencemen projected in the 2nd round and we have 39th and 45th.

Subban is good. But he's been that good because he's been playing with Markov. We will need a good no2 LHD

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
I think Edmonton only moves their pick to get a big piece in return, not several more assets. We don't really have a top 4 RHD to give. Calgary would be more interesting.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014

9th overall
39th overall

4th overall

Never!

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
The cost for the Habs to move down from 9 to 5 or 9 to 4 isn't worth it..

This draft is deep , will get a good player at 9 ....

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
Think Habs need/should trade up to at least try get Dubois, but try harder for Laine(prob wpg keep pick) cause Habs are not going to be picking this high again for a long time. Even with MB as coach, won't get close to a 9th pick next year so they need to use it as added value. Laine is worth giving up a good piece cause him and Galchenyuk would be crazy to watch for years. Plus side Laine is said to be nhl ready so that helps, Habs badly need a highend prospect/player.

Wake up. You're dreaming.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Clayton Keller

We need talent

I'd sooner take Jost then. I'm not sure why, but I hope they don't take Brown. I think he's just too big to be an impact player in the top 6. I'm not even sure why, but you just never see players that big playing in the top 6.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I'd sooner take Jost then. I'm not sure why, but I hope they don't take Brown. I think he's just too big to be an impact player in the top 6. I'm not even sure why, but you just never see players that big playing in the top 6.

Package the 9th pick for Drouin;)

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Maybe 2 months ago. Can't see Tampa moving him now though.

If Drouin still wants out(very possible)...he'll get traded...for a much better return now...
That's all Tampa wanted in the first place .

Anyways we know the Habs were interested in him...so ya never know.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Elite scorer? There is none at 9th , we should have not won meaningless games period

Keller maybe can be an elite scrorer. BTW julien Gauthier has dropped a lot, he isn't even being considered. Jost has a good ceiling but elite scrorer? I doubt it. Maybe a 30-30 guy

Unless one of these 3 don't impress and score 40 in this league, there is absolutely no elite scorer at ninth overall

Those meaningless wins cost us a very good prospect

Last edited:

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
You'll have an odd team picking up Gauthier before what scouts see. He's a big right winger with good skating, that's just too enticing. New Jersey for instance.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
In a dream world, Alexander Nylander falls to us. He definitely has the shooting arsenal to be a 40 goal guy in this league

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad