Your opinion on re-signing Raffi?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I would get it if like, every free agent that was available wanted to come to SJ, and they were willing to take a salary similar to that which Torres likely will, but that isn't the case. And every player has baggage like Torres does. Maybe not as bad as Torres does, but whether it be inconsistency (Ex. Brunner, Ryder, Stalberg), inability to perform in the playoffs (Stalberg), no player is perfect, and they're all going to want more money than Torres. In addition, Torres has proven chemistry with the players on the team and the coaching staff. He's a great 3rd liner. I'm fine with keeping him.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
And every player has baggage like Torres does. Maybe not as bad as Torres does...

I don't think there is a player in the league that has the baggage that Torres has, with Torres having passed Cooke with his most recent suspension.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
yep, if i said torres' baggage was like everyone elses id just be trying to make my argument look better.

That is why i would like to see him transitioned to a more offensively responsible role. put the onus on him to score points instead of check people as a foundation for change. checking role playing forwards are all over the place. we need producers

Audio Outlaw

Jaded Sharks Fan
Aug 1, 2011
Bay Area, CA
StalbergViktor.png
>
TorresRaffi_1.png

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Lol no. Stalberg has one goal in his playoff career and is lazy, will cost significantly more than Torres, and doesn't have proven chemistry with the team.

It's like if Vlasic was a free agent and Hjalmarsson was one also. Vlasic is the better player, but I guess the grass is always greener.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
There are enough lazy players on this team. Not that I've ever heard that about Stalberg...

Audio Outlaw

Jaded Sharks Fan
Aug 1, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Stalberg is lazy because him and Q can't stand one other. Who wants to work hard and play their guts out for an ****** boss? IMO Stalberg is more of a Clowe replacement than Torres.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Havlat, Hertl, and Jagr is actually closer to a Clowe replacement than either of those guys, to be technical. Not that that's particularly relevant.

Why are you so fascinated with him any way? He's never even reached legit top-6 production.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Havlat, Hertl, and Jagr is actually closer to a Clowe replacement than either of those guys, to be technical. Not that that's particularly relevant.

Why are you so fascinated with him any way? He's never even reached legit top-6 production.

Stalberg put up 43pts last season and was on pace to put up 40 this season over 82 games - that is average 2nd line production...the fact he does a majority of his producing at ES is a giant plus (he ranks 35th in ES pts per 60 over the last two years) as is the fact he can play either wing.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
stalberg is younger, has the speed and offensive potential to do well on our second line, but he does seem to have developed a stigma, however, its instances like these that drives a good players value down and makes him affordable for a team that needs the coverage.

I would take stalberg and torres. shed some dead weight, or move players around to make the cap space work. id at least approach chicago in the offseason and get a feel.

Audio Outlaw

Jaded Sharks Fan
Aug 1, 2011
Bay Area, CA

I really like Viktor Stalberg's skillset. He has been used and abused by Chicago and is a diamond in the rough IMO. He has speed and plays a power forward-like game. I think he could be to us what Lucic is to Boston. He has average 2nd line numbers, but given an opportunity with Thornton or Marleau I think he could exceed those numbers. Would you really rather see Galiardi take on this role?

Stalberg - Thornton - Burns
Couture - Marleau - Wingels
Havlat - Pavelski - Torres

Vlasic - Braun
Stuart - Hannan

This would have beaten the Kings in 5 or 6 IMO.

Audio Outlaw

Jaded Sharks Fan
Aug 1, 2011
Bay Area, CA
I also would like to have a pair of brothers on this team. That would be awesome. If I were DW I would have tried to get Viktor instead of the 4th.

Zeroz

Frightened Inmate #2
Jul 20, 2011
Oregon
I'm not sold on Stalberg yet. I do hope is that the Sharks re-sign Torres soon. He brings the grit that this team seriously needs now that Murray and Clowe are gone. Yes, there are probably other options out there this offseason but we shouldn't overlook the chemistry! He fit in pretty well this season in my opinion.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
that argument again?

It's the truth of the matter. That line clicked when Havlat was on it. It didn't click with Wingels. It didn't click with Torres. It didn't click with Pavelski. If you want Marleau and Couture to produce, they need a play-maker on it. Plain and simple. You can make any argument you want but the truth played itself out.

5H4RK5

May 3, 2007
We signed Couture, we have to try and sign Torres. If he was in the series vs the Kings I think we win.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
yep, if i said torres' baggage was like everyone elses id just be trying to make my argument look better.

That is why i would like to see him transitioned to a more offensively responsible role. put the onus on him to score points instead of check people as a foundation for change. checking role playing forwards are all over the place. we need producers

He already was one of, if not the most offensively sheltered player on the team.

We signed Couture, we have to try and sign Torres. If he was in the series vs the Kings I think we win.

The fact that he wasn't is the case against it.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Exactly. He was part of the reason why we lost.

But if DW didn't trade for him, the Sharks' forward depth would still suck and the Kings would have had Stoll.

Again, I'd take the risk. The Sharks have a hard time attracting UFAs, and Raffi has a chance of re-signing here. Good depth when Raffi is playing and bad depth when Raffi is suspended is better than bad depth all the time.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
To say Torres didnt produce well on the Juicy-patty line, basing it off a 4 game PO sample is folly..I think given the chance that line could do well.Both him and Patty have speed, allowing either one to get to the puck first and gives Logan the chance to trail and snipe or continue the play. Torres will do the dirty work.Plus nobody will be running Juicy with Torres on the ice..I like Torres having Logan's back at all times.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
To say Torres didnt produce well on the Juicy-patty line, basing it off a 4 game PO sample is folly..I think given the chance that line could do well.Both him and Patty have speed, allowing either one to get to the puck first and gives Logan the chance to trail and snipe or continue the play. Torres will do the dirty work.Plus nobody will be running Juicy with Torres on the ice..I like Torres having Logan's back at all times.

It's not based on their playoff sample size. It's based on their skill sets and how well they compliment each other or lack thereof. Marleau and Couture require a playmaker to be truly effective offensively and not just a good shutdown line.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You guys realize that without those last few games with Havlat, Couture would have finished the season with avg second line numbers, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad