GDT: Your NEWWWWWWW JERSEYYYY DEVILLLS @ Flyers - Enough of the negativity edition

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
Marty also leaves a lot of net open, and just has a dangerous style altogether that leaves a lot of open net. Most people don't wanna hear it, but the equipment issue plays a lot into it. He's wearing Pekka Rinne's old chest protector now so he definitely takes up more than he used to. If the defense/PK can have a good game I think he can play like this most nights. He looked like this a lot early in the season before he was injured.

I don't think Marty's been that bad since coming back from his injury. They won the first couple games when he came back. Then it was a combination of the forwards making every other team look like they had Glenn Hall, Brodeur, and Roy in net at the same time after Kovy went down and poorly timed defensive lapses.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't think Marty's been that bad since coming back from his injury. They won the first couple games when he came back. Then it was a combination of the forwards making every other team look like they had Glenn Hall, Brodeur, and Roy in net at the same time after Kovy went down and poorly timed defensive lapses.

Not what he is talking about though. He means Marty's hybrid style leaves a lot more net open then the traditional butterfly does. It is more a testament to how great Marty is that he can still be so successful, when most goalies who tried to play like him would be sieves.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What really pisses me off is I watched highlights of the Leafs/Islanders game. Reimer was so ABYSMAL tonight. He was just getting beat clean through the arm, and from bad angles, and just absolutely brutal tonight. Now when we play him we can't even score on him in the slot, let alone some bad angle or from the point. It's just frustrating. Poor Bryz is the only one who gets to feel our wrath!:laugh:

So Marty now has 10 shutouts against the Flyers. Is that the most of any team? I remember he got his 9th earlier this year, and they said it was tied for the most with the Isles I think. I'd have to research that right now.

Even Chico was making smart-alecky comments about how the Flyers always seem to be a nice tonic for what ails the Devils :D

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Not what he is talking about though. He means Marty's hybrid style leaves a lot more net open then the traditional butterfly does. It is more a testament to how great Marty is that he can still be so successful, when most goalies who tried to play like him would be sieves.
Yeah that's what I mean. I don't think he's as bad as his stats indicate in that time period. We were allowing very few shots, and a lot of that is because of his stickwork. Jaro Halak has 3 shutouts this year, and has played like 10 games and has a below 900 save percentage. If you look at his shots against they're pretty low in most games. You can't expect there to only be a couple good scoring chances just cause there's 18 or 14 shots. Look at box scores of old Marty games, and you'll see he had plenty of games where he gave up 2 goals in 16 or 14 shots or something even in his prime.

Last year it was Kevin Weekes who said Marty needed to start wearing bigger equipment, and change his style to butterfly because his recovery time was poor when playing hybrid because of his age and wear and tear. He had a point, but the guy's still a ass I think. So says the guy who couldn't keep a starting job over AHL goalie Scott Clemmensen.:laugh:

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
All I have to say is...Elias, Zajac, Henrique, should all be highly embarrassed by the fact that Ryan Carter and Matt D'agostini are outplaying them offensively.

Quoted for truth, especially with Zajac and Elias. No real on-ice leadership, no production, mentally weak and hesitant. It's getting embarrassing.

Poni and Zubes a strong game

I agree, Zubrus was Zubrus, solid as a rock. Poni had a strong game too, he spent most of his game in the right zone getting shots on net.

Nick0930

Mar 16, 2011
Quebec
What sucks is if we were even "meh" against the Northeast division, we'd probably be right in the thick of things. 1-7-6 record is horrible and just won't cut it.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Flyers and Caps are the only teams we won our season series against. Though the Caps were still crap the last time we played them. I think the Ovy hat trick game in DC was their signature win cause they've been awesome ever since.

We still have a chance to win the season series against Pittsburgh, and the Rangers. If we get just one point against Pittsburgh next week that wins us the season series against them.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
The difference in theory between 7 and say 13 is not the odds on winning the lottery but the ability to pick a top player from a larger talent pool. That said you still have to pick the right player. Zach was 17th wasnt he...Subban 2nd round. Far from an exact science

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The difference in theory between 7 and say 13 is not the odds on winning the lottery but the ability to pick a top player from a larger talent pool. That said you still have to pick the right player. Zach was 17th wasnt he...Subban 2nd round. Far from an exact science

Or Tedenby was a wash out at like 22nd overall, and Henrique was a third rounder that same year. :laugh:

What northeast team have we even beat this season? Oh yeah Buffalo who are like the worst team in the division. We got a point in every game against them two and went to a shootout each time going 1-2.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Hell we were just a bit more meh against the horrific SE we would be in better shape. Letting the Jets beat us what? 3 times? Dropping games to Tampa, Florida, and Carolina.

Basically we sucked outside of the Atlantic. Man we needed some games against the west just to break things up.

Also STILL not being able to beat Boston doesn't help much either.

DevilChuk*

End of the day, if we don't undergo a horrific 10 game losing streak, we easily make the playoffs.

Right now, we're probably going to be 2-4 points out of 8th by the end of the season. That means a dreadful 2-4-4 instead of an embarrassing 0-6-4.

Heck, just one more win in that span gives us control over our playoff destiny..

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
End of the day, if we don't undergo a horrific 10 game losing streak, we easily make the playoffs.

Right now, we're probably going to be 2-4 points out of 8th by the end of the season. That means a dreadful 2-4-4 instead of an embarrassing 0-6-4.

Heck, just one more win in that span gives us control over our playoff destiny..

Or if...you know...we don't blow two leads in Florida in like the final moments of each game.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hell we were just a bit more meh against the horrific SE we would be in better shape. Letting the Jets beat us what? 3 times? Dropping games to Tampa, Florida, and Carolina.

Basically we sucked outside of the Atlantic. Man we needed some games against the west just to break things up.

Also STILL not being able to beat Boston doesn't help much either.

Tell me about it with Boston. We lost to them by one goal every time. Once in the shootout, once at some garbage goal that deflected off Jagr's skate 1-0, and then the one game we score 4 goals against them we give up 5. I give up with them man I really give up with them.

We only lost to the Jets twice, but then won in a shootout. Those are the losses that Nona has referenced as when he thought the team was falling apart. To me I think it was the Isles game with the Tavares hat trick. Things only went downhill from there. Speaking of Islanders if we hadn't no showed against the Islanders twice then maybe we win those two. Nobody can honestly say that this team comes out to play the Islanders the way they do Flyers, or Rangers, or Penguins. This team regularly no shows Islanders game, and it's been that way for years now. It pisses me off.

DevilChuk*

Or if...you know...we don't blow two leads in Florida in like the final moments of each game.

Like I said, 2-4 more points in that span and we are well within the hunt, if not safely in the playoffs.

Meanwhile.. I just realized that last year's team closed the regular season out with 6 wins in a row... :naughty:

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
That was a pretty bad season overall made of a billion of missed opportunities, in goals scoring chances, defensive breakdowns as much as in points thrown away. I'd take it for sure if we magically make it, luck wasn't really on our side neither, but let's be honest: we don't deserve to make the playoffs.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Tell me about it with Boston. We lost to them by one goal every time. Once in the shootout, once at some garbage goal that deflected off Jagr's skate 1-0, and then the one game we score 4 goals against them we give up 5. I give up with them man I really give up with them.

We only lost to the Jets twice, but then won in a shootout. Those are the losses that Nona has referenced as when he thought the team was falling apart. To me I think it was the Isles game with the Tavares hat trick. Things only went downhill from there. Speaking of Islanders if we hadn't no showed against the Islanders twice then maybe we win those two. Nobody can honestly say that this team comes out to play the Islanders the way they do Flyers, or Rangers, or Penguins. This team regularly no shows Islanders game, and it's been that way for years now. It pisses me off.

Only Atlantic team we really no-show for and it hurt too. We really just had the perfect storm of bad **** happen to us this year. Absolutely nothing went our way. Some guys regressed, some guys got hurt, others didn't step up, and the puck never ever EVER bounced our way. Not quite dead yet though. Let us try and get to Sunday and have that game at MSG be relevant to both teams.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Great now we have to play the Everglades Loch Ness on Saturday. You don't really think their idiot beer league coach is gonna throw Crapper in after he gave up 6 goals tonight I mean right?

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Knowing the devils theyll win all last games and still miss playoffs by a thread and land at worse spot in draft than what they are now.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Poni Part-2 has been a disappointment but he played well tonight and had a lot of jump.

He always shows up against the Flyers. He's just invisible against almost everybody else.

Anyway, it would be nice to see them put together a win streak to end the season, draft position be damned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad