GDT: Your NEWWWWWWW JERSEYYYY DEVILLLS @ Flyers - Enough of the negativity edition

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Exactly - I completely don't understand why people don't want the 9th spot as opposed to the 11th spot. It really doesn't matter. All 14 teams have a "chance" at winning the top spot. Here are the odds:

Team 1 25.0%
Team 2 18.8%
Team 3 14.2%
Team 4 10.7%
Team 5 8.1%
Team 6 6.2%
Team 7 4.7%
Team 8 3.6%
Team 9 2.7%
Team 10 2.1%
Team 11 1.5%
Team 12 1.1%
Team 13 0.8%
Team 14 0.5%

So, in reality - unless you are going for THE top spot it won't make alot of difference. Even the top 6 maybe, there isn't really much of a difference. (oh gee, it's as if we have 1 ball in the lottery as opposed to 6 out of 200 - that's a reason to tank games...)

:facepalm:

it's not about the lotto odds. And even if it was, 10 to 7 is already like a 100% better anyway.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Seems like a fairly deep draft to me. There are 5 or 6 guys being mentioned as possible number 1 overall picks and a handful of guys who could be mid to late first round picks who never would have been picked to go that high at the beginning of the season.

That's going with the presumption that it's a whole lot different being the #14 team than being the #8 team. It really isn't. As I described above, they might pick your one ball out of the 200 almost as easily as they may pick the 6 from the guy in the 8 spot.

Ok, it's 6x more likely, but we snagged the 4 spot from the 8th last time. It's almost a wash that sitting the the 11th spot we get the 8th pick, or the 14th...

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
:facepalm:

it's not about the lotto odds. And even if it was, 10 to 7 is already like a 100% better anyway.

Uh, I don't get it. Lotto odds determine the picking order. Why do people care if we are the 12th or 9th? Unless we can drop to the worst 4 records, it doesn't make any sense to tank.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well any idiot team could win the lottery (I think the best non-playoff team actually won the dumb lottery twice in the NBA), people wanting better positioning really aren't talking about the marginally better chance of actually winning the lottery. They're just treating the difference between 8-12 as gold currency. Which I don't really agree with, but whatever.

NYDevil

Jan 7, 2012
New York
Uh, I don't get it. Lotto odds determine the picking order. Why do people care if we are the 12th or 9th? Unless we can drop to the worst 4 records, it doesn't make any sense to tank.

I would rather us win all our remaining games to at least say we gave it our all at the end. Tanking is for losers and we don't need that to get a good draft pick.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009

They draft 1 ball for first and the rest go by standing. The other teams get to pick players and the better players, based on scouting, tend to go before the lesser ones.

I don't anticipate winning the lottery because the odds are ridiculous but I would prefer a better prospect considering how barren this team's forward prospects are and that we need a christmas miracle to make the playoffs.

9th is fun and all but it doesn't really do a whole lot for this organization going forward. And no I don't have faith in our drafting or development.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Well any idiot team could win the lottery, people wanting better positioning really aren't talking about the marginally better chance of actually winning the lottery. They're just treating the 8-12 difference as gold currency. Which I don't really agree with, but whatever.

That's pretty much it exactly. If they actually picked in order, it would mean something. Going into a lottery where the best we can realistically go for would be to tank out completely, and have everyone else win out and we could squeak out 7th worst schedule. Big whoop - 8 ping pong balls out of 200. 4.7% chance instead of .5%.

That's a pretty stupid fanbase to think that tanking buys us anything at all.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I don't understand why you keep bringing up the lotto balls considering people who are hoping for a good prospect don't really care about that either. Not sure why that is a hard concept still but carry on I've accepted we are going to end up 9th with some crud pick :facepalm:

But I'll laugh when we draft Domi to lineup with Matteau.

And 4.7% to .5% is about 800% change.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
That's pretty much it exactly. If they actually picked in order, it would mean something. Going into a lottery where the best we can realistically go for would be to tank out completely, and have everyone else win out and we could squeak out 7th worst schedule. Big whoop - 8 ping pong balls out of 200. 4.7% chance instead of .5%.

That's a pretty stupid fanbase to think that tanking buys us anything at all.

No, you're not quite getting it. People are assuming it does go in order and think we'll get a great prospect if we finish at 8 and a crap prospect if we finish at 12 :laugh:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
No, you're not quite getting it. People are assuming it does go in order and think we'll get a great prospect if we finish at 8 and a crap prospect if we finish at 12 :laugh:

Now I am confused. Outside of 1st it is in order correct? What I have been assuming this whole time.

I really don't think an 8th pick or a 11th pick is going to make that huge a difference one way or another for next years team. Unless we win the lottery it is all on the scouts, and the actual spot is not going to change much.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Now I am confused. Outside of 1st it is in order correct? What I have been assuming this whole time.

I really don't think an 8th pick and a 11th pick is going to make that huge a difference one way or another for next years team. Unless we win the lottery it is all on the scouts, and the actual spot is not going to change much.

No, you're correct on all accounts.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ya I didn't want to say anything until it was over but he was outstanding tonight. All the talk about out goaltending not stealing us a game, well he was doing that tonight. Final score doesn't reflect that but he did.

It also helped that we didn't have some garbage deflection go against us like it seems to happen at least every other game. It actually worked in our favor tonight with Carter's goal going off a Flyers stick and deflecting past Bryz.

I still think Marty can look like the best of them if we're not giving up 2 on 0's streaking down the slot every night, and the PKing is good. I was happy to see him get the shutout cause it seemed like he's had at least 4 or 5 blown shutouts in the 3rd period this year including the last game. It's also important to point out that he faced 23 shots tonight which is up from the 11 and 12 and less than 20 he's been facing lately. It allows him to get into a groove. The more shots he's faced over his career the better his save percentage is. I'm pretty sure it's pretty outstanding in games where he faced 20+, 25+, 30+ shots as opposed to a meh one when only facing under 20.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

Ok, it's clear to me now.

When we pick Max Domi in the 8th spot, he'll succeed, but when we pick him with the 12th pick, he'll be a bust. Got it.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What really pisses me off is I watched highlights of the Leafs/Islanders game. Reimer was so ABYSMAL tonight. He was just getting beat clean through the arm, and from bad angles, and just absolutely brutal tonight. Now when we play him we can't even score on him in the slot, let alone some bad angle or from the point. It's just frustrating. Poor Bryz is the only one who gets to feel our wrath!:laugh:

So Marty now has 10 shutouts against the Flyers. Is that the most of any team? I remember he got his 9th earlier this year, and they said it was tied for the most with the Isles I think. I'd have to research that right now.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Gionta was the best player on the ice tonight, Marty vintage and Josefson's assist a little gem. How many posts again tonight ? what a rotten season :facepalm:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Gionta was the best player on the ice tonight, Marty vintage and Josefson's assist a little gem. How many posts again tonight ? what a rotten season :facepalm:

We hit 3 posts tonight I think. I'm glad we saved poor Bryz the embarrassment. If there's any team I'd feel satisfied scoring 5 goals against at this point it isn't really the Flyers considering how we absolutely dominated them from last playoffs throughout this whole season.

Gio was great. He missed the open net, but no one ever claimed he was an extremely talented player. Just one with incredible heart, and work ethic. I can't believe some people wanna push him out of the lineup. And you know who missed the open net 3 minutes into the game ugh.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It also helped that we didn't have some garbage deflection go against us like it seems to happen at least every other game. It actually worked in our favor tonight with Carter's goal going off a Flyers stick and deflecting past Bryz.

I still think Marty can look like the best of them if we're not giving up 2 on 0's streaking down the slot every night, and the PKing is good. I was happy to see him get the shutout cause it seemed like he's had at least 4 or 5 blown shutouts in the 3rd period this year including the last game. It's also important to point out that he faced 23 shots tonight which is up from the 11 and 12 and less than 20 he's been facing lately. It allows him to get into a groove. The more shots he's faced over his career the better his save percentage is. I'm pretty sure it's pretty outstanding in games where he faced 20+, 25+, 30+ shots as opposed to a meh one when only facing under 20.

Well that is a given. He saw like what 11 shots in the Leafs game before their PP? Plus that goal like went through Fayne's legs to get past him, he was a little screened too.

Marty has gotten a lot of tough breaks this year that he could not of done much about, or really almost any goalie. Maybe a giant young Butterfly goalie because the nature of that style is supposed to cut down on what you can't see, but even then.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
That's going with the presumption that it's a whole lot different being the #14 team than being the #8 team. It really isn't. As I described above, they might pick your one ball out of the 200 almost as easily as they may pick the 6 from the guy in the 8 spot.

Ok, it's 6x more likely, but we snagged the 4 spot from the 8th last time. It's almost a wash that sitting the the 11th spot we get the 8th pick, or the 14th...

Actually, if anything I was saying that there isn't much of a difference. IMO, there will be quality options available whenver the Devils end up making their first pick. Ryan Hartman, for example, is a guy who will probably sneak into the first round after a really strong showing at the WJC, would be good fit for the Devils philosophy, and he'll probably still end up going 10 picks or so later.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well that is a given. He saw like what 11 shots in the Leafs game before their PP? Plus that goal like went through Fayne's legs to get past him, he was a little screened too.

Marty has gotten a lot of tough breaks this year that he could not of done much about, or really almost any goalie. Maybe a giant young Butterfly goalie because the nature of that style is supposed to cut down on what you can't see, but even then.

Marty also leaves a lot of net open, and just has a dangerous style altogether that leaves a lot of open net. Most people don't wanna hear it, but the equipment issue plays a lot into it. He's wearing Pekka Rinne's old chest protector now so he definitely takes up more than he used to. If the defense/PK can have a good game I think he can play like this most nights. He looked like this a lot early in the season before he was injured.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Marty also leaves a lot of net open, and just has a dangerous style altogether that leaves a lot of open net. Most people don't wanna hear it, but the equipment issue plays a lot into it. He's wearing Pekka Rinne's old chest protector now so he definitely takes up more than he used to. If the defense/PK can have a good game I think he can play like this most nights. He looked like this a lot early in the season before he was injured.

Well ya but that has always been the way for this team for as long as one can remember. Why you don't see anyone play like Marty does. He doesn't have the luxury of dropping into the butterfly and hoping for the best that a lot of meh goalies do (not saying there aren't a lot of skilled butterfly users FYI not my point).

Point was we were asking for it in the Leafs game. You leave any goalie sitting back there with that little work and not scoring on the other side you are just asking for what happened to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad