GDT: Your New Jersey Devils vs. Calgary Flames, 7 PM, MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yes let's blame it on the Rookie not the goalie who stood there like the Statue of Liberty (which seemed like a lifetime) not making sure he had it secured🤔

Jim's right, it was pretty bad. We can all have our opinions about what was worst on that goal, but there was a lot of bad to go around. Kind of a microcosm of everything wrong with the team.

I do get down when I watch them lose though. Not depressed. But it’s a minor bummer for the evening. Crazy I know.

I think it's a bummer for all of us. No doubt it sucks. We are all fans and want them to win. Just as long as it doesn't keep you up at night or make you want to be violent or something, I think being bummed for the night is understandable.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And I couldn't care less about trading Toffoli for Sharangovich, like a lot of people here, but it just sucks that it happened in a (probably) lost, garbage time, JUNKED season.

And I don't have much interest in re-upping Toffoli, I wouldn't have even if we won a few rounds or even the cup.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yes let's blame it on the Rookie not the goalie who stood there like the Statue of Liberty (which seemed like a lifetime) not making sure he had it secured🤔
I just wish more people (including the organization, from management to the coaching staff) gave Vitek the heat he really deserves for JUNKING this season on us.

There's just one guy in here that's just beating the already dead zombie that is Vitek Vanecek.

And even that guy threw off much more nuclear radiation Blackwood's way last year and even to Schneider and his bad hip back in 2018-2020.

Reactions: Dylan9z9

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
I can certainly understand fans that want to sell. With that said, I find it very hard to believe Fitz will go that route unless we are clearly out of playoff contention when the deadline comes around. Fans can say “punt the season” but players don’t feel that way and it sends a bad message to the boys if we are within fairly reasonable distance to make the playoffs.

Toffoli is the most intriguing player to me when it comes to the deadline. With prices so high, it would be awfully tempting to deal him for a first round pick. Imagine a scenario in which we trade for a goalie this summer without it costing us Casey or Grits!!

What’s best for us is to either get hot or free fall. If not, we are in purgatory and that’s not a good thing.

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
I can certainly understand fans that want to sell. With that said, I find it very hard to believe Fitz will go that route unless we are clearly out of playoff contention when the deadline comes around. Fans can say “punt the season” but players don’t feel that way and it sends a bad message to the boys if we are within fairly reasonable distance to make the playoffs.

Toffoli is the most intriguing player to me when it comes to the deadline. With prices so high, it would be awfully tempting to deal him for a first round pick. Imagine a scenario in which we trade for a goalie this summer without it costing us Casey or Grits!!

What’s best for us is to either get hot or free fall. If not, we are in purgatory and that’s not a good thing.
Casey should be used. Idk why people are so obsessed with him. We got Nemec and Hamilton. He’s not jumping either.

Reactions: Dylan9z9

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Casey should be used. Idk why people are so obsessed with him. We got Nemec and Hamilton. He’s not jumping either.
I think the fact that Bahl has shown to be absolutely and utterly no-count and not really being a core piece whatsoever is really making Casey’s value to our team go up.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
f*** Marty

He brought in Rogalski. He needs to clean the mess up IMMEDIATELY. Let him interim goalie coach for the rest of the year.

I have no emotional attachment to Marty the front office person. I had to watch Marty the player go play somewhere else, so I couldn't care less if Marty f***ed off to the Islanders or Rangers (okay, that's pushing it, I admit it) in a front office or coaching role.

And like he played somewhere else, it's not like he hasn't also worked somewhere else already in the NHL before this.
Alright dude

F*** Marty should be right off the menu.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Alright dude

F*** Marty should be right off the menu.
I’m only talking as a post-playing person.

Love Marty the player, but really have no emotional attachment to Marty the front office person or Marty the head of the New Jersey Devils goaltending department.

Marty should be on the site to clean up Rogalski right now and step in and be interim goalie coach right now.

Rogalski is the worst goalie coach we’ve ever had and that was Marty’s find.

I’d rather pry Chris Terreri out of Bridgeport and re-hire him. Or bring back 80-something year old Jacques Caron.

Shame on Fitz for letting Rogalski stay on and not letting him go 1-2 months ago.

If there’s one thing we can criticize Fitz for in all of this it’s letting Rogalski continue to show up to work. If he’s not gonna bring in a new goalie he should have ganked Rogalski a while ago.

And goalie coaches have been fired mid-season before and without coinciding with a head coaching change.

Reactions: My3Sons

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Ranting and raving aside about goalies...

I think there are other concerns. The young D goes without saying, but...

Last night was the first night I came to the realization that Jack Hughes might have to move to the wing for us to win in the playoffs. He was on for the goals that mattered yesterday and he doesn't match up well against any center in this league. He would've been on for maybe three more if the posts didn't intervene.

He can't win big faceoffs.
He can't go into the corners with his shoulders and he can't win puck battles against any centers in the league. I have had him as third behind mcdavid and MacKinnon in talent but I'm coming around to the idea that his physical stature is going to leave him as more of a Johnny Gaudreau than a top center.

I think he's the most talented skater in the league but he's looking more like Barzal each day. Those giveaways at the blue line tho.

Maybe that would be ok bc of Nico's performance against MacKinnon, but do we really want him to be our shutdown guy and can he handle a steady diet of Barkov, Courier, Horvat, Crosby, Malkin, etc. Night after night?

I don't know where I'm going with this and this is way too much of a sky is falling post, but it's disappointing that one night after beating Colorado with workmanlike team effort, we 'add' Toffoli and Jack, score fewer goals and spend much of the game in clown show mode.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Last night was the first night I came to the realization that Jack Hughes might have to move to the wing for us to win in the playoffs. He was on for the goals that mattered yesterday and he doesn't match up well against any center in this league. He would've been on for maybe three more if the posts didn't intervene.

He can't go into the corners with his shoulders and he can't win puck battles against any centers in the league. I have had him as third behind mcdavid and MacKinnon in talent but I'm coming around to the idea that his physical stature is going to leave him as more of a Johnny Gaudreau than a top center.

I think he's the most talented skater in the league but he's looking more like Barzal each day. Those giveaways at the blue line tho.

Maybe that would be ok bc of Nico's performance against MacKinnon, but do we really want him to be our shutdown guy and can he handle a steady diet of Barkov, Courier, Horvat, Crosby, Malkin, etc. Night after night?

I don't know where I'm going with this and this is way too much of a sky is falling post, but it's disappointing that one night after beating Colorado with workmanlike team effort, we 'add' Toffoli and Jack, score fewer goals and spend much of the game in clown show mode.
The only goals he was on the ice for yesterday were the super softy that leaked through Vitek and was put in, where the guy was laughing about how weak of a goal it was in the post game. That was a completely routine save and one of the weaker goals he’s allowed this season.

And the empty net goal.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I think the fact that Bahl has shown to be absolutely and utterly no-count and not really being a core piece whatsoever is really making Casey’s value to our team go up.
thats true its also true it will probably be 3-4 years from now before we find out if we have another liability or casey is the real deal.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I’m only talking as a post-playing person.

Love Marty the player, but really have no emotional attachment to Marty the front office person or Marty the head of the New Jersey Devils goaltending department.

Marty should be on the site to clean up Rogalski right now and step in and be interim goalie coach right now.

Rogalski is the worst goalie coach we’ve ever had and that was Marty’s find.

I’d rather pry Chris Terreri out of Bridgeport and re-hire him. Or bring back 80-something year old Jacques Caron.

Shame on Fitz for letting Rogalski stay on and not letting him go 1-2 months ago.

If there’s one thing we can criticize Fitz for in all of this it’s letting Rogalski continue to show up to work. If he’s not gonna bring in a new goalie he should have ganked Rogalski a while ago.

And goalie coaches have been fired mid-season before and without coinciding with a head coaching change.

I know we're all fishing for answers why goaltending is bad...

But last night looked like a subpar goalie making stupid mental mistakes behind a team that was careless with the puck, against a team that was getting good chances.

Vitek just looked bad. And didn't get alot of help.
And tbh, for a team that is blowing shit up, their lineup has some guys who can shoot the puck and their top 4 D with Tanev, Weegar, Andersen and Hanifan makes our corps look like garbage in our own end

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
bruh dont worry this is his good year he will be shit next year! he flip flops
He was bad last year (his underlying numbers on most of the sites don’t look as bad as this year’s Vitek though) but guys were also done playing for Sutter. A lot of guys had a bad year and everybody hated Sutter more than we’ve seen any team hate a coach in a really long time.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
The only goals he was on the ice for yesterday were the super softy that leaked through Vitek and was put in, where the guy was laughing about how weak of a goal it was in the post game. That was a completely routine save and one of the weaker goals he’s allowed this season.

And the empty net goal.
How was he -3 then?

Reactions: Bleedred

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I stand corrected.

He was also on the ice for the Kuzmenko goal, which was a routine shot that Vitek held and lost......

Naw man you're right. He wasn't a reason we lost. I'm just trying to figure out why we play differently with him in the lineup.. we win more, obviously, bc he comes to the rescue with amazing goal scoring and setups.
But where did the effort we had the other night go?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Daws and Schmid's overall NHL stats are still better then Vitek's

I would imagine the record difference can largely be chalked up to goal support. The back 2 back situation as well as those two were getting the second half games more often.

The B2B is absolutely a full team thing as they simply have not shown up in any of those games.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I'm definitely more depressed about last night than Ive been with this team. It's crazy to watch the Devils team with perhaps the highest ceiling in history and sooo much talent all over the ice play such scattered garbage hockey.

It's so much easier rooting for workmanlike 'play the game right', 'get solid goaltending and defense' teams and watch them grind wins out....than this bipolar shit.

Exciting and fun, though.

Better days are ahead.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California

Just need to have a Haula or Palat on one of his wings to do the center's responsibility defensively.

I'm definitely more depressed about last night than Ive been with this team. It's crazy to watch the Devils team with perhaps the highest ceiling in history and sooo much talent all over the ice play such scattered garbage hockey.

It's so much easier rooting for workmanlike 'play the game right', 'get solid goaltending and defense' teams and watch them grind wins out....than this bipolar shit.

Exciting and fun, though.

Better days are ahead.
It was annoying watching Lou's Islander teams do what the Devils did for years and make decent runs, while us with so much more talent on the team find ways to lose. Last year was a bit of our process finally bearing fruit, and I hope we can go back to that. More experience for Luke and Nemec is probably the way to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad