GDT: Your New Jersey Devils vs. Buffalo Sabres, 7 PM, MSG, Hockey Fights Cancer Night at the Rock

Status
Not open for further replies.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
What’s encouraging is that they gave up nada last night. 11-12 shots against. What’s not is that 2 goals were scored by Buffalo. Solid defensive effort, but it definitely feels like the vast majority of high danger chances or difficult shots are in the back of the net.

I know you hate the goalie talk and before I get a reply saying the goals last night weren’t on Vitek, I agree. It’s still frustrating to have a solid effort like last night defensively and have 2 GA and your goalie under .900 sv%. Also an indictment we can give up 2-3 goals even with a solid defensive effort.

They can definitely build off of an effort like last night, and we still have reinforcements coming. Buffalo has beaten some good teams this year, we shouldn’t dismiss this game because of the opponent.

It's impossible to watch a game like last night's and NOT be super optimistic. Game to game SV% is not a stat. It's a silly way to somehow make a point if you're already really down on goalies. Vitek made a fantastic stop on Mittelstadt and had a terrific game and had zero chance on the pp goals.. but his sub.900 sv% will stupidly be part of someone's narrative for the next few weeks... See how many 'sub .900 games' someone comes up with.

Isn't that stupid if you allow 5 shots through 2 periods?

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
It's impossible to watch a game like last night's and NOT be super optimistic. Game to game SV% is not a stat. It's a silly way to somehow make a point if you're already really down on goalies. Vitek made a fantastic stop on Mittelstadt and had a terrific game and had zero chance on the pp goals.. but his sub.900 sv% will stupidly be part of someone's narrative for the next few weeks... See how many 'sub .900 games' someone comes up with.

Isn't that stupid if you allow 5 shots through 2 periods?
You’re right about game to game SV%, it’s still frustrating. :dunno:

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We just beat them a few weeks ago in the Nico injury game...they're not one of our jinx teams like the Blues, Caps, Jets and Panthers
Yeah, we seem prone to a dud against them about once a year, but I think our record against them is pretty decent the last several years and not horrific like against the teams you mentioned and additionally the CBJ.

We did have that awful late season game up in Buffalo last year, which was one of our worst games of last year, but yet we still made that one close and lost like 5-4 or maybe 6-4 with the empty net. That was Schmid’s last regular season start for us. He was yanked from the game and then sent back the following day because Blackwood started the next night after coming back from one of his injuries. I think we won the other two games against them last year though.

We also had a game against them where we got blown out and I think that was the game where Andrew Hammond let in the shot from center ice. It was late in the season before.

I seem to remember us not faring so well against them in the covid season when we had to play them 8 times, but I do remember particularly Eric Comrie getting the win over them in his only Devils start (they probably remembered that when they signed him lol) and I remember us beating them and that being the game that saw them make a coaching change the very next day.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
That’s two open invitations on HFB Devils now (mine in Raleigh and now Jim!)
I will need to write a roadmap. And take into account the swamps of Louisiana. As a person who was born in the swamps of the central part and now lives in the swamps of the northern part, I cannot pass by such a thing. I hope you have swamps in Raleigh.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
What’s encouraging is that they gave up nada last night. 11-12 shots against. What’s not is that 2 goals were scored by Buffalo. Solid defensive effort, but it definitely feels like the vast majority of high danger chances or difficult shots are in the back of the net.

I know you hate the goalie talk and before I get a reply saying the goals last night weren’t on Vitek, I agree. It’s still frustrating to have a solid effort like last night defensively and have 2 GA and your goalie under .900 sv%. Also an indictment we can give up 2-3 goals even with a solid defensive effort.

They can definitely build off of an effort like last night, and we still have reinforcements coming. Buffalo has beaten some good teams this year, we shouldn’t dismiss this game because of the opponent.

I don't think it's frustrating at all. Sometimes you have to recognize good plays by the other team too, even a game like that where we dominated.

Those were two powerplay goals against, one with pretty good puck movement and the other off a fantastic deflection. Those are good goals that are just going to happen sometimes.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I will need to write a roadmap. And take into account the swamps of Louisiana. As a person who was born in the swamps of the central part and now lives in the swamps of the northern part, I cannot pass by such a thing. I hope you have swamps in Raleigh.
We have swamps in North Carolina but mostly at the coast, not as much in Raleigh.

That said North Carolina is beautiful - it’s like a much wider New Jersey. We have hundreds of miles of beaches at our coast, with incredible offshore fishing. We have the foothills in the center, where you see mountains in the haze and enjoy lord of wineries and state parks with great hiking and solid river fishing. Then the mountains in the west; the blue ridge and Appalachians, with more hiking, fishing, hunting, camping, skiing, and more. We have all four seasons across the state, yet we have areas where you can stay reasonably warm all year.

We also have some nice if not huge cities in all regions. Wilmington at the coast is the furthest south and is reasonably warm all year, with palm trees, lots of amazing restaurants and breweries, laid back atmosphere, and a very good university. Raleigh (capital) and its sister city Durham are where the coastal plain meet the piedmont, and have lots of technology pharmaceutical and medical industries. Both have great restaurants. There are three of the best universities in the state (two are top 15 in the nation) here. Winston-Salem and Greensboro are the Piedmont’s main cities and similar in size but Winston-Salem is really coming on with great restaurants and breweries and is a great home base for the wine and hiking regions of the foothills. Charlotte is the biggest city in the state and has excellent (if lacking in diversity) restaurants and breweries and is a very young city with lots of financial jobs and a great university. Asheville is the capital of the mountains and is a very bohemian city with amazing restaurants and an incredible beer scene. Boone is a college town 90 minutes northeast of Asheville.

Worth a visit. There’s a nice Russian community here in Raleigh too. Great people.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
We have swamps in North Carolina but mostly at the coast, not as much in Raleigh.

That said North Carolina is beautiful - it’s like a much wider New Jersey. We have hundreds of miles of beaches at our coast, with incredible offshore fishing. We have the foothills in the center, where you see mountains in the haze and enjoy lord of wineries and state parks with great hiking and solid river fishing. Then the mountains in the west; the blue ridge and Appalachians, with more hiking, fishing, hunting, camping, skiing, and more. We have all four seasons across the state, yet we have areas where you can stay reasonably warm all year.

We also have some nice if not huge cities in all regions. Wilmington at the coast is the furthest south and is reasonably warm all year, with palm trees, lots of amazing restaurants and breweries, laid back atmosphere, and a very good university. Raleigh (capital) and its sister city Durham are where the coastal plain meet the piedmont, and have lots of technology pharmaceutical and medical industries. Both have great restaurants. There are three of the best universities in the state (two are top 15 in the nation) here. Winston-Salem and Greensboro are the Piedmont’s main cities and similar in size but Winston-Salem is really coming on with great restaurants and breweries and is a great home base for the wine and hiking regions of the foothills. Charlotte is the biggest city in the state and has excellent (if lacking in diversity) restaurants and breweries and is a very young city with lots of financial jobs and a great university. Asheville is the capital of the mountains and is a very bohemian city with amazing restaurants and an incredible beer scene. Boone is a college town 90 minutes northeast of Asheville.

Worth a visit. There’s a nice Russian community here in Raleigh too. Great people.
Sounds awesome. I'm boring non-modern person who doesn't wonder about New York, fashion ladies and tall buildings made of metal and concrete. Do you have villages with old architecture?

Its not the closest plan. I'm working on making cash for building my house. And now sanctions make it much harder for my wife too. But some day I want to visit love of my life New Jersey Devils and of course I will not travel to USA to watch the hockey game only.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Hahaha. Yeah but you missed my 'outgoalied' quotation marks. I don't think we're getting outgoalied. I think we're outshittying the other team defensively on a nightly basis and that's impossible to do with Buffalo and the Sharks.

I'm just saying... If we give up 3+ goals against the offense challenged Isles, it might not matter what we do.
Sorokin is great and can steal games but he is giving up close to 3 goals per game this year. We can score against him.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Sounds awesome. I'm boring non-modern person who doesn't wonder about New York, fashion ladies and tall buildings made of metal and concrete. Do you have villages with old architecture?

Its not the closest plan. I'm working on making cash for building my house. And now sanctions make it much harder for my wife too. But some day I want to visit love of my life New Jersey Devils and of course I will not travel to USA to watch the hockey game only.

Some, but the US as a whole doesn’t have much old architecture because we are such a young nation. That said, North Carolina is an original colony and some older stuff survives especially nearer the coast

Reactions: My3Sons

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Some, but the US as a whole doesn’t have much old architecture because we are such a young nation. That said, North Carolina is an original colony and some older stuff survives especially nearer the coast
I'm not asking middle age castles, but the whole street or even village with old 19-20 century wood buildings would be awesome.
I'm living in St Petersburg, I'm not asking European Barocco or something like that)

Nature is a huge part of my interest, becausе mostly the local geography is a plain for many many many kilometers, and the spaces intersected by mountains, hills, rivers, successfully placed in a warm climate, of course strongly attract. As well as the local simple old architecture. I have no illusions about what is best to look for in Eurasia. But its charm of the American hinterland and nature is perfectly sung in culture and has left its mark and interest in my heart, too.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Me watching the highlights for the fifth time

IMG_1851.jpeg

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I'm not asking middle age castles, but the whole street or even village with old 19-20 century wood buildings would be awesome.
I'm living in St Petersburg, I'm not asking European Barocco or something like that)

Nature is a huge part of my interest, becausе mostly the local geography is a plain for many many many kilometers, and the spaces intersected by mountains, hills, rivers, successfully placed in a warm climate, of course strongly attract. As well as the local simple old architecture. I have no illusions about what is best to look for in Eurasia. But its charm of the American hinterland and nature is perfectly sung in culture and has left its mark and interest in my heart, too.
Oh we definitely have a lot of that. Smaller town downtowns are definitely 100+ years old and are pretty neat. There are some preserved old houses and villages too. New Jersey has Waterloo Village as a park now, neat!

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

The French Quarter in New Orleans is abiut as old timey as it gets in the US. There are parts of NY and Boston that have older structures but not so many in one place.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
The French Quarter in New Orleans is abiut as old timey as it gets in the US. There are parts of NY and Boston that have older structures but not so many in one place.
New Orlean is in mandatory program. I will skip NY easily if the choice is between NO and NY.

THere is one another problem I dont have drivers license. Is it bad and I need to make it or there are no prblem with public transport system for tourist? How big difference is in driving and buy gas or spending money for trains and buses?

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
New Orlean is in mandatory program. I will skip NY easily if the choice is between NO and NY.

THere is one another problem I dont have drivers license. Is it bad and I need to make it or there are no prblem with public transport system for tourist? How big difference is in driving and buy gas or spending money for trains and buses?

Northeastern cities are fine for public transport but sadly most of America is car dependent

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor

With Uber and Lyft it’s probably not a big deal in any touristy area. Having lived in both places I’d say see NY before New Orleans. Let us know when the day arrives you can plan your trip to the USA and I’m sure the group can provide advice and recommendations to help you plan and budget.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
With Uber and Lyft it’s probably not a big deal in any touristy area. Having lived in both places I’d say see NY before New Orleans. Let us know when the day arrives you can plan your trip to the USA and I’m sure the group can provide advice and recommendations to help you plan and budget.
My advice: There's no hockey Iin New Orleans.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016

The older cities have the european style dense population/walkable streets. NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, etc.

The newer cities become almost glorified suburbs where everything is very spread out. You can move around the small tourist/city center area but need a car to get anywhere else.

Reactions: Guadana

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
If you're visiting the US, do NYC, New Orleans, maybe Chicago, two beautiful nature-oriented states like Montana, Utah or Wyoming and then finish driving along California's coast.

That covers the best of it (and the things unique to America) to me. I like Arizona and New Mexico for some of the landscapes too.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Northeastern cities are fine for public transport but sadly most of America is car dependent
Is it expensive to use uber? its about 8-10 $ for 40-60 min driving here or something like that

My advice: There's no hockey Iin New Orleans.
My wife will like it.
The older cities have the european style dense population/walkable streets. NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, etc.

The newer cities become almost glorified suburbs where everything is very spread out. You can move around the small tourist/city center area but need a car to get anywhere else.
SF was in my list. Somedays ago(way ago) it was a first, but now I'm in doubt.

If you're visiting the US, do NYC, New Orleans, maybe Chicago, two beautiful nature-oriented states like Montana, Utah or Wyoming and then finish driving along California's coast.

That covers the best of it (and the things unique to America) to me. I like Arizona and New Mexico for some of the landscapes too.
Sounds like a raw plan!
It looks like it would be better to get a license and cross the country once by car with stops.

Thank you, guys. Its in years from now, but its existing. And the fact I have you is helping me with it. Some years ago I thought that "in years" is something about "in the next life", but now its more closer to "next day after tomorrow".

My3Sons

Sponsor
Is it expensive to use uber? its about 8-10 $ for 40-60 min driving here or something like that

My wife will like it.

SF was in my list. Somedays ago(way ago) it was a first, but now I'm in doubt.

Sounds like a raw plan!
It looks like it would be better to get a license and cross the country once by car with stops.

Thank you, guys. Its in years from now, but its existing. And the fact I have you is helping me with it. Some years ago I thought that "in years" is something about "in the next life", but now its more closer to "next day after tomorrow".

I think it depends upon where and when you take an Uber. It can be expensive during peak hours or for out of thr way locations.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
depending on the area/city, Uber or Lyft may be cheaper - you need to compare.

As for pricing, it is definitely more expensive than $8-$10 for that long of a drive - think you can expect maybe 3x-4x the price? you can use this to help estimate

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad