Speculation: The coaching search continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Haven't extensively watched to comment on specific strategies Berube uses, but like everything results are your common denominator. When comparing DJ to Berube, you can quickly see by win% how one is much better than the other.

The Blues soured on him, but you can't really blame their implosion on Berube. After their Cup win the team let go of their veteran leaders (Tarasenko, Pietrangelo) and lost key top-6 players in ROR, Perron and Schwartz. Their window was effectively shut. They are in a weird place right now where they will retool and compete perpetually as a bubble-team.
Yeah the mismanagement of that team is insane. Letting Pietrangelo go was wild, I cant believe Bill Armstrong is going to be team Canadas GM. He's honestly horrible. It makes no sense.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Which podcast? Was it an interesting listen?

Didn't listen, I just reread the coles notes version but he talks about what he's done to get clearance to play, he put the blame on executives but didn't shy away from his own responsibility. Could be a good redemption story.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loach

mysens

Apr 9, 2013

Didn't listen, I just reread the coles notes version but he talks about what he's done to get clearance to play, he put the blame on executives but didn't shy away from his own responsibility. Could be a good redemption story.

Hmm. He certainly knows the ins and outs of still retaining your first round draft pick after a major scandal. Maybe he can help us get ours back…that could be worth the price of admission

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Jesus, I forgot about that.

I know it seems like I'm joking but I'm petrified about him becoming the Leafs head coach. Considering he took a team with Ceci-Phaneuf, Boro-Claesson to within one goal of the cup final, him coaching the Leafs means they will win the WWE championship.

Can you imagine how insufferable hockey media will be if Guy Boucher somehow coached the Toronto Maple Leafs into a victory over Cody Rhodes?
I would be shocked if the Leafs promoted an assistant to head coach. As a big market team my impression is that they would have to go big, get the biggest most expensive replacement coach they could find so they could start planning the parade route. The market would not tolerate otherwise. I recall video shots of Boucher talking to various prima-donna Leafs players on the bench and it really looked like whatever he said went in one ear and out the other. Polite nods given with that FU you are wasting my time kind or look on the player's faces. So I doubt Boucher ever gets a sniff at leading that oh so special choir!

In all honesty, I'd far prefer they just kept Sheldon Keefe around for just shy of forever and keep trying the same thing expecting differen results over and over without success to infinity and beyond.... something like we did with Leafs organization graduate DJ Smith.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I would be shocked if the Leafs promoted an assistant to head coach. As a big market team my impression is that they would have to go big, get the biggest most expensive replacement coach they could find so they could start planning the parade route
They went down that road with Babcock and it didn't get them anywhere, Keefe came from their AHL affiliate, so how different is that than promoting the assistant?

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
Gunna be a telling week,

If Marlies wrap up tonight, it'll be interesting see how quickly Sens act on Gruden (if they do)

Also, potentially coaching changes in TOR, TB, SEA ( Francis hasn't committed to Hakstol), DAL, LA ..

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
The bad side of leafs losing is the inevitable firing of Sheldon Keefe and hiring of Craig Berube (if the sens view him as their number 1 target).

Keefe won’t survive a regression year and a new GM at the helm, and I think they pull out all the stops to bring in a Stanley Cup Winner (I.e. more stupid money)

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
The bad side of leafs losing is the inevitable firing of Sheldon Keefe and hiring of Craig Berube (if the sens view him as their number 1 target).

Keefe won’t survive a regression year and a new GM at the helm, and I think they pull out all the stops to bring in a Stanley Cup Winner (I.e. more stupid money)
Leafs looking for a winning coach? I hear Mike Babcock might be available… perfect fit imo.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Berube likes a heavy team. He's probably good on the Leafs. Hopefully the Dave Poulin factor helps us out here. I'm really the least worried about our coaching hire - it's the one thing I have 100% faith in for some reason. This coach doesn't have to get us the cup, he just has to get us to the dance and build the foundation for how to win and create that culture. The coach after that can take us to the promised land, if we are so fortunate.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Berube likes a heavy team. He's probably good on the Leafs. Hopefully the Dave Poulin factor helps us out here. I'm really the least worried about our coaching hire - it's the one thing I have 100% faith in for some reason. This coach doesn't have to get us the cup, he just has to get us to the dance and build the foundation for how to win and create that culture. The coach after that can take us to the promised land, if we are so fortunate.
I think berube will be our coach

I bet he wants to coach tkatchuk and Sanderson

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
If Keefe is fired, I'm having a hard time seeing Berube not being the next Leafs coach.

With that said, I wonder what Treliving's appetite will be for firing a coach that he recently extended. GMs only get so many hirings and firings.

That new GM signed him to a two-year extension.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
I think berube will be our coach

I bet he wants to coach tkatchuk and Sanderson
I just don't know why we didn't jump on him. I mean it'd make Sens-e if we were waiting to see if Sullivan or Coop became available; Coop could be amazing for our team. Berube along with the others have to be the tier 2 and with us interviewing them then we are gearing up now barring any last firings. Which I'm again, 100% good with.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I just don't know why we didn't jump on him. I mean it'd make Sens-e if we were waiting to see if Sullivan or Coop became available; Coop could be amazing for our team. Berube along with the others have to be the tier 2 and with us interviewing them then we are gearing up now barring any last firings. Which I'm again, 100% good with.
I suppose you never want to make a choice before you see all your options. And maybe berube said he wouldn’t be signing with another team until the summer

Reactions: Duncstar

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012

Why would Berube want to coach in Toronto?

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Why would Berube want to coach in Toronto?
Perennial playoff team that can’t get over the hump with several high-end star players? Significantly more talent than other available openings in Toronto. Reminds me of when Bryan Murray got hired here replacing Jacques who couldn’t beat the leafs

Reactions: DrEasy

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Perennial playoff team that can’t get over the hump with several high-end star players? Significantly more talent than other available openings in Toronto. Reminds me of when Bryan Murray got hired here replacing Jacques who couldn’t beat the leafs
What does the bolded mean.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Because they’ve at least showed the ability to be a perennial playoff team and they can offer him all the money in the world. No-brainer if you’re Craig.

Also if you ever win with Toronto, you’re pretty much guaranteed a statue in downtown Toronto.
You think Toronto will be the only playoff team offering him a contract? I doubt his only options are Ottawa or Toronto (even then it wouldn't surprise me if he'd prefer Ottawa if he's higher on their leadership and if he wants to avoid the media circus in Toronto).

A lot of former players have said that a lot of players don't want to play in Toronto because of the pressure and media.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Also if you ever win with Toronto, you’re pretty much guaranteed a statue in downtown Toronto.
Babcock went from universally considered one of the best coaches in the league to landing exiled in Saskatoon... He deserved what he got, but that gig came with a giant spotlight that revealed just how big a pos he was.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
How bad does scissons feel. Horrible.

Also the preds just leaving Canucks totally alone? Damn not built well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad