GDT: Your New Jersey Devils @ San Jose Sharks, 10:30 PM EST, MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
To be frank, the fans have given this team a very long leash this season. It took almost 50 games for the ruff chants to resurface. Guys who were struggling like Timo and Vitek were constantly supported in every home game with Timo and Vitek chants.

I don’t buy the pressure comments unless they read us on here haha

Unless the pressure means coming from where they are in the standings then sure, thats a new pressure for them

I don't think it has anything to do with the fans, although the record at home probably begs to differ. I think it's probably pressure they're putting on themselves for where they are in the standings, for the amount of times they're giving up the first goal and chasing the game, etc.

I think it can be especially difficult for guys at this age to overreact when something doesn't go their way, and take themselves out of the game. That's where I'd hope the coaches or veterans would step up to try and calm the situation. But this is me making a lot of assumptions.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
We were hot garbage; the Hughes brothers leading the charge with blown tires, backwards blind passes up the slot, bluelinecturnovers...Blackwood was shutting us out...
Then Blackwood predictably broke, and the Sharks outgarbaged us by a epically terrible line change and absurd cross ice blueline pass that originated in Alameda and Jack picked off in Mountain View...

At which point we all relaxed and looked like a juggernaut.

Literally the only person with a complete game was Daws, but he had clown show moments in the first period that could have easily made it 3-0 Sharks. There was one save he made that would've been the end of us if it had gone in.

If this is the win that 'fixes' them, then hooray!

But really if it wasn't the Sharks all the same problems with coverage and stupid decisions with the puck all over the ice remain to be exploited by any team not named after animals that like water.
BOTH Nicos were playing lights out. Nico was driven all game. Timo also stood out and was robbed due to an offside challenge.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Literally any job has a pressure to perform. That’s no different in the accounting department as it is in hockey. The difference is there’s a scoreboard, box score, and standings to regularly measure how you’re performing in the NHL.

This is especially true for a guy like Bahl. This is not a guy with an established track record. He needs to prove he can play, and play well, at this level if he wants a long and successful career and the millions of dollars that entails. That he is already seeming to buckle, or at the very least not even understand the nature of being a professional hockey player, is not a good sign.

And it’s even worse if there’s another half dozen guys on this roster thinking the same way.

Holy shit dude, it was just a 23 year old in his 2nd NHL season blathering in a microphone after he was asked wordy Amanda questions. (Pretty sure he already knows more about “the nature of being a professional hockey player” than you though, since he is one and works with other ones every day.)

And this is you, just you, personally projecting all sorts of things onto this:

“Dealing with pressure, you need to learn how to deal with pressure, you know, where we are in the standings, if we play with enthusiasm and keep things rolling we’ll be successful”
&
“The pressure of where we are, everyone knows where we’re at.
It’s tough to have that in the back of your mind and, you know, and one guy makes a little mistake and everybody’s like *makes face* and then, you know, learning how to be like ‘ok next shift, whatever, flip the page, let’s go, we got to win games’.
You can’t linger on little mistakes and stuff like that. Again flip the page and keep it rolling.”

Seems like pretty basic stuff about being frustrated and playing through it.

Bahl clearly needs to learn to stick to blander stock sport cliches so vague and empty that nothing can be read into them.

This is why we can’t have interesting NHL players who say interesting things, entitled fans immediately jump all over every sentence that comes out of their mouths.

Last edited:

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Holy shit dude, it was just a 23 year old in his 2nd NHL season blathering in a microphone after he was asked wordy Amanda questions. (Pretty sure he already knows more about “the nature of being a professional hockey player” than you though, since he is one and works with other ones every day.)

“Dealing with pressure, you need to learn how to deal with pressure, you know, where we are in the standings, if we play with enthusiasm and keep things rolling we’ll be successful”
&
It’s tough to have that in the back of your mind and, you know, and one guy makes a little mistake and everybody’s like *makes face* and then, you know, learning how to be like ‘ok next shift, whatever, flip the page, let’s go, we got to win games’.
You can’t linger on little mistakes and stuff like that. Again flip the page and keep it rolling.”

Seems like pretty basic stuff about a being frustrated and playing through it.

Bahl clearly needs to learn to stick to blander stock sport cliches that are so vague and empty nothing can be read into them.

This is why we can’t have interesting NHL players who say interesting things, entitled fans immediately jump all over every sentence that comes out of their mouths.
You can give him a pass whole cloth if you want, I find complaining about pressure here to be a perfect microcosm of the team we’ve seen on the ice this season. Not to mention a top down extension of Lindy’s whining about the reporting affecting the pp.

The point is that type of wilting is exactly what we’re seeing on the ice. A team that experiences any ounce of adversity and collapses. These are professional hockey players - the expectation of recognizing and adapting to pressure is hardwired into the job.

Last edited:
Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

&

Seems like pretty basic stuff about a being frustrated and playing through it.

Bahl clearly needs to learn to stick to blander stock sport cliches that are so vague and empty nothing can be read into them.

You've shown me that Bahl has been given a difficult work regimen given his age and experience level. I'm sure he feels some element of added pressure having to fight off the best players on the other team as a defender, although it is almost certainly self imposed. Siegenthaler's injury really did Bahl no favors in that department. I'm sure he will be the better player for this season but on some level he was set up for failure.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Unfortunately, we still need to face Anaheim first.

Hope we slaughter them.

With worthless Gibson is net. Hope that useless bum rots down there the rest of his contract, after eating 5 Zegras lacrosse goals every practice.
Yeah but if lose to Anaheim the playoff picture (or lack of playoffs) becomes pretty clear I think.

If it's not already.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Unfortunately, we still need to face Anaheim first.

Hope we slaughter them.

With worthless Gibson is net. Hope that useless bum rots down there the rest of his contract, after eating 5 Zegras lacrosse goals every practice.

Blackwood - 13 shots 13 saves. Rock solid and so dependable and sturdy. How’d that crow taste?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
You can give him a pass whole cloth if you want, I find complaining about pressure here to be a perfect microcosm of the team we’ve seen on the ice this season. Not to mention a top down extension of Lindy’s whining about the reporting affecting the pp.

The point is that type of wilting is exactly what we’re seeing on the ice. A team that experiences any ounce of adversity and collapses. These are professional hockey players - the expectation of recognizing and adapting to pressure is hardwired into the job.

You just claimed that every job has pressure built into it, so what in the world are you saying, other than 'hockey players should shut the f*** up about pressure'?

It's also very funny to claim that this team totally wilts in the face of pressure - they have put themselves behind more than any team in the league and are still close to .500 in those games. Dealing with adversity is one thing they are halfway decent at, it's the not putting themselves in that position to begin with that they struggle at. Thankfully it is now you and not Bahl who is just yammering cliches.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
You just claimed that every job has pressure built into it, so what in the world are you saying, other than 'hockey players should shut the f*** up about pressure'?
I'm saying it's not an excuse and yeah, pretty worthless to complain about in the media. There will ALWAYS be pressure, in any job, and even more so in competitive professional sports. It's so ingrained in the job, that what possible utility is there to bring it up? Other than questioning whether you're equipped to handle it in the first place.

It's also very funny to claim that this team totally wilts in the face of pressure - they have put themselves behind more than any team in the league and are still close to .500 in those games. Dealing with adversity is one thing they are halfway decent at, it's the not putting themselves in that position to begin with that they struggle at. Thankfully it is now you and not Bahl who is just yammering cliches.
Sure thing bud.

"Putting yourself in position to begin with" is exactly the issue. This team has not performed at any consistent level all season, and even more, once they got "healthy" post-all star break in the thick of a wild card battle. The response against teams like the Rangers/Lightning, hell even the Montreal game they won, points to a fragile team that hasn't been capable of elevating their game in pressure situations. I'm more than willing to hang any plurality of that percentage-wise on an incompetent staff that doesn't prepare the team, but when I hear Lindy giving the same whining about pressure from reporters and only about a week later from Bahl, I can only surmise these guys are not mentally there to compete when every game means you either make or miss the playoffs. That's where they are.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I'm saying it's not an excuse and yeah, pretty worthless to complain about in the media. There will ALWAYS be pressure, in any job, and even more so in competitive professional sports. It's so ingrained in the job, that what possible utility is there to bring it up? Other than questioning whether you're equipped to handle it in the first place.

Sure thing bud.

"Putting yourself in position to begin with" is exactly the issue. This team has not performed at any consistent level all season, and even more, once they got "healthy" post-all star break in the thick of a wild card battle. The response against teams like the Rangers/Lightning, hell even the Montreal game they won, points to a fragile team that hasn't been capable of elevating their game in pressure situations. I'm more than willing to hang any plurality of that percentage-wise on an incompetent staff that doesn't prepare the team, but when I hear Lindy giving the same whining about pressure from reporters and only about a week later from Bahl, I can only surmise these guys are not mentally there to compete when every game means you either make or miss the playoffs. That's where they are.

This situation is this frustrating to you, a person who has absolutely no control over it whatsoever. Imagine how frustrating it is to someone who does have some tiny amount of control, but ultimately very little, and for whom the stakes are far higher personally and professionally, and that's where you get the comments that Bahl is making last night.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Luke has warts. But this is not normal:
View attachment 826571

Man just seeing that, I see so much potential for different plays just from that rush Luke can do, but will the coaching staff see it? Probably not.

No it's not, the whole job is to play hockey. The pressure part is doing it at the top of your ability while several thousand people are watching you do it. Some players claim to thrive in that environment, others will say (rarely, because it sounds weak) that it is the difficult part of doing it, but I don't think 'that's the job' at all.

What a load of poop. I am a software developer. My job is to just code. Pressure from ceos/team leads and end users (and other departments) is not part of the job, right? MENTALLY SOFT.
I'm sure others could bring up examples from other industries too.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
My only problem with that quote is where is the actual pressure coming from? Sure as shit isn’t coming from the organization or the coaching staff…the lame media? :laugh:

According to Ruff, the media. Doesn't sound like it's coming from him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad