GDT: Your New Jersey Devils @ San Jose Sharks, 10:30 PM EST, MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
We missed coverage, made bad turnovers in our own zone, gave up a 2 on 1 when we were on the PP and San Jose wasn't able to take advantage of any of it. What was different last night was we were playing an opponent that didn't take what we gave.

Nemec did a lot of watching the play, Luke did a lot stupid shit overall. Our forwards took about 25 minutes to get going....same ol, same ol.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
We missed coverage, made bad turnovers in our own zone, gave up a 2 on 1 when we were on the PP and San Jose wasn't able to take advantage of any of it. What was different last night was we were playing an opponent that didn't take what we gave.

Nemec did a lot of watching the play, Luke did a lot stupid shit overall. Our forwards took about 25 minutes to get going....same ol, same ol.

Agree with all but the 25 minutes to get going. We buzzed in the first period on numerous occasions. We just didn't finish.

But without a couple of timely saves this was 2-0 down, maybe 3-0 with some puck luck (the inexplicable missed open net).

Reactions: My3Sons

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Agree with all but the 25 minutes to get going. We buzzed in the first period on numerous occasions. We just didn't finish.

But without a couple of timely saves this was 2-0 down, maybe 3-0 with some puck luck (the inexplicable missed open net).
The Devils only had something like 5 or 6 shots on goal in the first period outside the PP.

For me, SJ had better chances 5 on 5 in the first.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Timely saves? San Jose was inept with a half dozen or more quality opportunities in the first half of the game. Crediting the goalie seems a big stretch to me.

And we still gave up the first goal and we were still held scoreless through the first 24 minutes against a team that has a whopping -102 goal differential.

CalamityX23

May 2, 2023
Fun game...but if we're being honest, it wasn't a well played game by the Devil's.

The Devils made 4 or 5 horrific turnovers/generally bad defensive plays when it was still scoreless.

Any real team would've been up on the devil's 3 or 4 before they managed to score a goal.

The game was more like a sparring session than a real game...where we got to take shots on the old beaten down fighter who takes a beating for $500 a session to make the current guy feel good.

It's actually kind of amazing that a defense could be as bad as it was in a 7-2 win....but it was.
Correction, any real team would've been up on us had Vitek Vanecek been in goal...

:)

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
Well I do believe we are now the current All Time League record holder for allowing the first goal...surpassing the expansion year Ottawa Senators with 43 first goals allowed.

Record setting year! At least that's something to look back on with fond memories.

or did we just tie them last night?

Either way we'll pad that stat by the time the season is over.

Reactions: JimEIV

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The Devils only had something like 5 or 6 shots on goal in the first period outside the PP.

For me, SJ had better chances 5 on 5 in the first.

They certainly did, but this is underselling the fact that that power play put up 8 shots and 1.5 xGs which are both unheard of. For the Devils to not be up 1-0 after that was ridiculous.

As a general point on the game while Kahkonen let in 3 shots from D men, this was often a weakness of Blackwood's - going down too early, letting screens eat him up, etc. - so I'm not going to say this sort of thing doesn't happen to him too.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Blackwood getting a phantom injury after looking good was just classic. How many times did we see that in NJ?
he was just making a point. Kahknonen got shelled while Blackwood shut out NJ when they had all those early chances. He's just showing @Bleedred what he was missing and if he was mic'd up you'd have heard him muttering "Eat that crow" "Eat that crow Bleed" after every save.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Timo has his best game of the year last night.

Also saw an interesting stat during the game:

This season the Devils have allowed 40 goals with 2 min or less remaining in a period...

Eesh
I hadn't seen this stat...so we start games record breakingly bad and finish them just as bad?

I guess for me "we just didn't finish" and "getting going" isn't that large of a divide.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Some folks saying the goals by the Devils D were lucky. I disagree

Bahl joined the rush and bombed it from the dot. We need more of that

Miller and Smith got their shots through screens with Devils making the goalies life hard and both were perfectly placed off the post and in. We need more of that

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Some folks saying the goals by the Devils D were lucky. I disagree

Bahl joined the rush and bombed it from the dot. We need more of that

Miller and Smith got their shots through screens with Devils making the goalies life hard and both were perfectly placed off the post and in. We need more of that

The Bahl goal, I agree, we don't see much of that, but it's still a pretty low-percentage goal. The Miller goal was a miracle and the Smith goal was pretty close to one. You will get goals like this over the course of the season and indeed the Devils at one point had a ridiculously low number of 5v5 goals from D men given how often they activate, it's just a shame they all came in the same game.

First was bad

It could have easily been 2-0 maybe even 3-0

lol come on, putting a 0 in the Devils column is ridiculous if you're doing hypotheticals, the Devils had their best power play shift of the season

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I am going to dub these kind of games a "Kovalchukian"

It's where you play like shit for 80% of the game score a couple of goals and make everyone forget about the 80%

minibrodeur

May 17, 2022
I hadn't seen this stat...so we start games record breakingly bad and finish them just as bad?
I was watching the SJ feed, it popped up after they got scored on at the end of the first. The teams gotta play hard till the buzzer sounds, these goals are often massive momentum swings.

Reactions: JimEIV

OlfactoryHughes

Aug 8, 2007
Northern California
lol, I missed a 7 goal outburst 🤣🤣🤣
Felt good watching pucks go in! As noted by the classic doomers, this team has warts. But this team has also been unlucky, so it was nice seeing some of those point shots find their way in, because we havnt seen any of that this year. Hopefully we can continue the outburst for a couple weeks!

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Was a fun game to watch once we got rolling. Can't take too much from the win tho. Good to see everyone get some points. Maybe they can sweep this Cali trip. They pretty much need too at this point. The team needs all the confidence they can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad