GDT: your NEW JERSEY DEVILS in EDMONTON taking on THOSE GUYS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I get you, but that's is just a reflection of your top6. Rico, Palms, Zajac are all on pace for 45-52 pts. That's garbage production for top6 players. If they can't produce with all ice time + PP min, can't complain much about guys who plays 13min or less per game.

If those guys were not in the top 6 though, they probably wouldn't even score 50 points.

The bottom line is you need a 3rd line that's capable of providing 30-ish points per player, and we're not even averaging a guy that's on pace for 20, outside of Wood right now. And Wood has played on one of the top lines more often as of late.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What prospect has OUR minor league team produced in the past few seasons?

But is this development or drafting? It's not like any of the guys we had did well anywhere else either. And it's hardly fair to tar Shero/Fitzgerald with the end of the Lou/Conte tenure vis-a-vis prospects.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Oilers fan here.

Watched that OT goal a lot of times to see if Henrique was really to blame. It looks like he does actually signal for a change with his left hand and Wood is just slow to come off the bench. Really it's just one of those awkward "it happens" moments in hockey. Perfect storm of events against your team resulting in a goal against.

I will say that even though Henrique signals with his left hand for the change, he drags his stick behind him so it looks like he's still trying to make a defensive play with this stick. That might have confused Wood.

Henrique was waving with his hand, but had his back to the bench and was still making some half ass "defensive" play that did nothing. By the time he actually turned to get on the bench so Wood could come on, McDavid was gone already.

Wood/Hynes weren't perfect here, but Henrique did almost everything wrong that he could do.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It's been par for the course with Henrique all year.

If you're going to change at a crucial time like that, make sure the bench knows it before you're standing right beside it and McDavid is already past you and up the ice on a 2-on-1.

It's inexcusable from Henrique's point of view. While the blame may partially be on Hynes and/or Wood as well, Henrique has to be more clear with his intentions there at a crucial point in the game.

Henrique was pretty much right next to the bench as the play was developing though.

He definitely signals with his left hand, then there is a delay of about a second and a half before Wood jumps over the bench.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I don't know if this is the least talented Devils team since the 80s, but it's definitely the most gutless.

****ing embarassing.

No one hated the early 80s teams.
They were awful, a mix of raw rookies and washed up vets.
But they were lovable for the most part.
A bunch of tough & likable characters like Bridgeman &, Chico and you saw high end talent with the young pups like Muller, Dano, Verbeek, MacLean, etc.
I recall seeing lots of hustle & fight under coaches like McVie & Carpenter.

This year's team is far from likable.
Its a flawed roster but they shouldn't be this awful.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Most young teams that are on the upswing play as many of their young guys that can hack it in the NHL, and supplement that with hard working veterans who can help teach them the proper way to play. I don't think anyone is advocating to keep anyone up who is overwhelmed or clearly over their head, but flush out as much of the **** as possible, keep the good role models, and play the youth.

I agree completely.

But at this point, unless we're playing our young kids with someone from the top six (i.e. Hall with Zacha) or if we're trying out guys for bottom six roles (i.e. Coleman or Pietila), I'd rather the guys with potential to be skill players get the opportunity to work on their skills in Albany.

Calling JQ up to play 8 minutes with Kalinin or Josefson centering him and Lappin/DSP/Bennett offering nothing on the other wing is absolutely pointless.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Retain 50%.

There has to be a competitive cap-strapped teams that will love to add Cammalleri as a depth scoring option who produces very well at 2.5 million.

That extra year he has left is the killer. I'll be thrilled if they manage to get something for him but I just don't see it happening.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
This was the lineup we iced a year ago [1/14/16]. It could be worse I guess, then again maybe not cause we're pretty damn awful with what's supposed to be a better lineup.

MqtnR76.jpg

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Henrique was pretty much right next to the bench as the play was developing though.

He definitely signals with his left hand, then there is a delay of about a second and a half before Wood jumps over the bench.

This team hasn't been on the same page since about game 16 this season, so it's really nothing new.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I'd love to see Quenneville and Blandisi in NJ playing top6 roles + PP time. But it's just not happening if guys like Zajac, Rico, Palms, Cams aren't traded or injured.

It's not happening with our coach. I have no doubt that some of them would be playing better than Rico and Cam at the moment. I also see no harm in having them up in limited roles to see how they do, especially over garbage like DSP and Kalinin

No no, you insinuated that the AHL does not help prospects develop. Ridiculous claim.

No, I was talking about OUR minor league team. Go back and reread what I said before you try to have an argument with me.

But is this development or drafting? It's not like any of the guys we had did well anywhere else either. And it's hardly fair to tar Shero/Fitzgerald with the end of the Lou/Conte tenure vis-a-vis prospects.

Both have sucked with this team.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
If those guys were not in the top 6 though, they probably wouldn't even score 50 points.

The bottom line is you need a 3rd line that's capable of providing 30-ish points per player, and we're not even averaging a guy that's on pace for 20, outside of Wood right now. And Wood has played on one of the top lines more often as of late.

I think we need two top line players, a center and an RW.

Hall-1C-1RW
someone-Zajac-Palmieri
Rico-Zacha-Someone
4th line (Pietila-Coleman-Lappin?)

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Oilers fan here.

Watched that OT goal a lot of times to see if Henrique was really to blame. It looks like he does actually signal for a change with his left hand and Wood is just slow to come off the bench. Really it's just one of those awkward "it happens" moments in hockey. Perfect storm of events against your team resulting in a goal against.

I will say that even though Henrique signals with his left hand for the change, he drags his stick behind him so it looks like he's still trying to make a defensive play with this stick. That might have confused Wood.

Eh, it was a bad change on his part because the puck was not nearly deep enough in the zone to make a change there. The puck was right near blue line in your defensive zone, you guys already had possession with your guys cutting up the ice, some of the fastest in the league so by the time you were already cutting up the ice, Wood was already behind the play.

It's just a bad spot for Henrique to make that decision to change there and unfortunately it's been a consistent stretch of laziness from him now that makes it a bit more frustrating.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
What prospect has OUR minor league team produced in the past few seasons?

How many times have we actually kept our young players in the minor league to fully develop?

The only good prospect we've kept in the minor leagues for a full season in the last several years has been Adam Henrique and he's turned into a second line NHL player.

Merrill, Severson, Josefson, Tedenby, Gelinas, Matteau, Urbom, etc. have all been rushed and brought up here during their first year as a pro player when they could have been developing in the minors. How good does that group look right now?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I agree completely.

But at this point, unless we're playing our young kids with someone from the top six (i.e. Hall with Zacha) or if we're trying out guys for bottom six roles (i.e. Coleman or Pietila), I'd rather the guys with potential to be skill players get the opportunity to work on their skills in Albany.

Calling JQ up to play 8 minutes with Kalinin or Josefson centering him and Lappin/DSP/Bennett offering nothing on the other wing is absolutely pointless.

For sure, I wouldn't at all advocate that we call up someone like JQ and give him the Zacha treatment or worse. I'd advocate that we concede the season is lost, call guys up that can handle it, and actually play them.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
This was the lineup we iced a year ago [1/14/16]. It could be worse I guess, then again maybe not cause we're pretty damn awful with what's supposed to be a better lineup.

MqtnR76.jpg

It was a flash in the pan season bolstered by an unsustainable powerplay and shooting percentages by some players. Both teams and rosters were awful. Last years system was the only difference. This years is, well I don't know what to make of it. Our forwards can't help out on D and our defense is horrendous and Schneider has not been Schneider .

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

MqtnR76.jpg

That defense is definitely better. Play 4 actual top 4 defensemen in the top 4, which is better than we have done at any point this season.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

http://i.imgur.com/MqtnR76.jpg[/img[/QUOTE]

fitting its on charmin ass paper

this season needs triple ply

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
It was a flash in the pan season bolstered by an unsustainable powerplay and shooting percentages by some players. Both teams and rosters were awful. Last years system was the only difference. This years is, well I don't know what to make of it. Our forwards can't help out on D and our defense is horrendous and Schneider has not been Schneider .

They've gone back to the same system. One thing about last year's team is that while it was bad, it didn't have any DSP or Wood-type drags at forward. Not everyone pulled their weight, but no one was a liability. Now they have 2. And Kalinin is just not a center.

Power play's doing good without Josefson though, that change has gone swimmingly.

This was what needed to happen last year, and the same things would've been said last year. Losing always looks bad.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Ok, and I say again...you are claiming that a AHL team is not good for prospects. :laugh:

i agree with NjDevsRR and disagree with you, Taxman. our AHL team is just fine with developing our guys. the fact that wood and santini transitioned fine to here is bc of our AHL ppl. the trouble is we didn't have a large quantity of quality prospects. albany is performing well, and finally has a bunch of prospects playing.

it's not the kowalsky's fault that lou and conte drafted **** players. the results of our minor league actually winning games is a good sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad