Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Welp, see you fine fellows again for another tomorrow

giphy.gif

This needs to be the next GDT theme :laugh:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Eh, it was a bad change on his part because the puck was not nearly deep enough in the zone to make a change there. The puck was right near blue line in your defensive zone, you guys had possession with your guys cutting up the ice, some of the fastest in the league so by the time you were already cutting up the ice, Wood was already behind the play.

It's just a bad spot for Henrique to make that decision to change there and unfortunately it's been a consistent stretch of laziness from him now that makes it a bit more frustrating.

I can sympathize. I don't think Eberle has scored in like 15 games. Guy just floats all over the ice and if he isn't putting up points he's a total ghost on the ice.

I watch your team and am reminded of my team a few years ago. Endless cycles in the defensive zone by the other team and inability to breakout or break the cycle. I think it will get better as your forwards mature and some of your younger d-men get more experience.

Hall is an elite offensive talent but he plays best when he is the driver on his line so I would caution against getting a "driver" 1C. Hall needs the puck on his stick as much as possible as his game is suited towards his speed and puck possession. Get a 1C who knows how to defer. Someone in the style of Kopitar, Bergeron, Getzlaf, etc. Big body types who might not be the best skaters but know where to go on the ice without the puck.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
And again, what the **** has the Albany Devils done and what prospects has it produced in the past few seasons?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

OK, then I want Speers, McLeod, Bastian, Gignac and our 2017 1st round pick on the Devils starting lineup next October. Who needs the AHL or other minor leagues. Throw them into the fire.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
And again, what the **** has the Albany Devils done and what prospects has it produced in the past few seasons?

How many times have we actually kept our young players in the minor league to fully develop?

The only good prospect we've kept in the minor leagues for a full season in the last several years has been Adam Henrique and he's turned into a second line NHL player.

Merrill, Severson, Josefson, Tedenby, Gelinas, Matteau, Urbom, etc. have all been rushed and brought up here during their first year as a pro player when they could have been developing in the minors. How good does that group look right now?

Might want to read that first.

Hard for Albany to develop players if we don't even give them a chance to develop down into Albany. Instead, we rushed every single player on that list over the last six-seven years except for one that we took our time with.

That one player turned out to be the best of the bunch as well.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
i agree with NjDevsRR and disagree with you, Taxman. our AHL team is just fine with developing our guys. the fact that wood and santini transitioned fine to here is bc of our AHL ppl. the trouble is we didn't have a large quantity of quality prospects. albany is performing well, and finally has a bunch of prospects playing.

it's not the kowalsky's fault that lou and conte drafted **** players. the results of our minor league actually winning games is a good sign.

Santini should have been up here from day one. I don't credit albany with a damn thing regarding him. He was NHL ready since he graduated BC.

Wood still is rough around the edges, but his speed causes a lot of his productivity to happen. Something you can't teach.

So even if Albany is doing a great job, then there is no reason for JQ not to be up here for a few games since the other two transitioned well.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
JQ is injured so it's moot anyway. He also should not be anywhere near this team right now.

Might want to take Gelinas off that list of players - Gelinas was in Albany for 2 seasons. Sometimes a guy just can't make decisions quickly enough.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
JQ is injured so it's moot anyway. He also should not be anywhere near this team right now.

Might want to take Gelinas off that list of players - Gelinas was in Albany for 2 seasons. Sometimes a guy just can't make decisions quickly enough.

You're right. I stand corrected.

But still the amount of our better prospects on that list is certainly troubling. Especially considering almost all of them except for Severson and possibly Merrill have all busted.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
My goodness, I don't know whats worse, that or Albany isn't good for prospects. :laugh:

Good night all. Hopefully tomorrow night will be better.

Last edited by a moderator:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Except it's not. I don't really trust the old ways of doing things when it hasn't worked for this team for the past 5 seasons.

They've hardly done the old ways of doing things the last couple years. Two years ago Santini would have made the Opening Night roster, play 25 minutes a night and then get overwhelmed halfway through the season. Heck Zacha would have been on the team LAST year at the rate things were going a few years back. While I don't think Shero and company should get a free pass forever it's hardly fair to tag the current regime with this.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Taxman sent me a DM and me I needed to work on my reading comprehension. :laugh:

My goodness, I don't know whats worse, that or Albany isn't good for prospects. :laugh:

"I want change."

"What good will come out of that change?"

"Who cares if it's change."

Rinse and repeat after every loss.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Except it's not. I don't really trust the old ways of doing things when it hasn't worked for this team for the past 5 seasons.

So instead of the kids getting tons of minutes in Albany and helping them win games they should play 10 minutes a night here while being stuck in a losing culture?

No thanks

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Santini should have been up here from day one. I don't credit albany with a damn thing regarding him. He was NHL ready since he graduated BC.

Wood still is rough around the edges, but his speed causes a lot of his productivity to happen. Something you can't teach.

So even if Albany is doing a great job, then there is no reason for JQ not to be up here for a few games since the other two transitioned well.

with a 1-game analysis from the end of last season? chigga pls. at the end of the day, we will never know if player ____ will have developed just fine with our without minor league seasoning. but as zippy said, proof is in the pudding and with our track record.

i don't disagree with you on JQ, but that doesn't take anything away from albany's ability to develop players. nor should it. minor league as a whole is where prospects go to develop, as a transition from juniors/ncaa/europe to the NHL. that's a matter of fact, not up for debate

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
They've hardly done the old ways of doing things the last couple years. Two years ago Santini would have made the Opening Night roster, play 25 minutes a night and then get overwhelmed halfway through the season. Heck Zacha would have been on the team LAST year at the rate things were going a few years back. While I don't think Shero and company should get a free pass forever it's hardly fair to tag the current regime with this.

The old way of doing things was rushing Merrill, Severson, Tedenby, Josefson, Urbom, Matteau, and other forwards in their first year of turning pro.

Team needs to focus on development now and let kids like JQ and Blandisi and Wood develop their games in Albany. Our best player (high draft pick wise) of Lou's later years spent the longest time in Albany out of any of the list above and turned out the best. That being Henrique.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
honestly tax, i don't mind reading your opinions at all, but your posts seem to me to be kind of towing the line with disregard for others' opinions, to borderline offensive. i want my echo chamber of rabbling in hf to be kept to a peaceful discourse

i say this in the most constructive way as possible though, honest. but you've already said to me before you don't care for my opinion, right?

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
with a 1-game analysis from the end of last season? chigga pls. at the end of the day, we will never know if player ____ will have developed just fine with our without minor league seasoning. but as zippy said, proof is in the pudding and with our track record.

i don't disagree with you on JQ, but that doesn't take anything away from albany's ability to develop players. nor should it. minor league as a whole is where prospects go to develop, as a transition from juniors/ncaa/europe to the NHL. that's a matter of fact, not up for debate

The Devils track record is up for debate haha. We are debating it right now.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Taxman sent me a DM and told me I needed to work on my reading comprehension.

We're playing in Calgary tomorrow, I don't think we've won there since Hynes had eyebrows.

Leafers34

Feb 26, 2013
Hello guys, I come in peace, I didn't get a chance to see your game tonight as I was working, but I saw the box score and saw Karl Stollery played. How did he look? I had the pleasure of having dinner with him last year in San Jose and he is a great person, glad to see he's gotten another shot at "the show".

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
I can sympathize. I don't think Eberle has scored in like 15 games. Guy just floats all over the ice and if he isn't putting up points he's a total ghost on the ice.

I watch your team and am reminded of my team a few years ago. Endless cycles in the defensive zone by the other team and inability to breakout or break the cycle. I think it will get better as your forwards mature and some of your younger d-men get more experience.

Hall is an elite offensive talent but he plays best when he is the driver on his line so I would caution against getting a "driver" 1C. Hall needs the puck on his stick as much as possible as his game is suited towards his speed and puck possession. Get a 1C who knows how to defer. Someone in the style of Kopitar, Bergeron, Getzlaf, etc. Big body types who might not be the best skaters but know where to go on the ice without the puck.

Zajac fits that mold... they would still need a 1C so Hall could carry Zajac (he's really bad offensively) on the 2rd line. That 1C would also replace Zajac on the PP top unit.

Devils needs so many pieces to be a contender... at least two top 4 Ds, a couple of top liners, a better coaching staff...

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I'm pretty sure he's blocked me by this point since I don't fall for the irrational let's make a decision for the sake of making a decision logic that goes on around here.

Calling up JQ and keeping Wood up here is part of the problem that stagnated the development of the young kids we had the last several years. Let the kids develop for once.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Hello guys, I come in peace, I didn't get a chance to see your game tonight as I was working, but I saw the box score and saw Karl Stollery played. How did he look? I had the pleasure of having dinner with him last year in San Jose and he is a great person, glad to see he's gotten another shot at "the show".

He acquitted himself surprisingly well. No complaints. I think he's earned himself another game, maybe a few more.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010

Hopefully Zacha can turn into that. He is a big guy at 6'3 215lbs and skates better than the players mentioned. His issue is, right now he needs to be a bit more aggressive in the offensive zone and on the puck. Take the body a bit more and shot a bit more. He has shown some really good chemistry with Hall though which is nice.

He actually looked solid. Had a few solid hits. Never looked overwhelmed from what I saw.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

He was okay for a call up I guess.

Better than Seth Helgeson, that's for **** sure, though not necessarily an accomplishment either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad