GDT: your NEW JERSEY DEVILS in EDMONTON taking on THOSE GUYS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think some of ya'll need a new hobby

you get too caught up on things game in and game out. This team sucks and isn't going to get any better this year. Take some nights off.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
I think some of ya'll need a new hobby

you get too caught up on things game in and game out. This team sucks and isn't going to get any better this year. Take some nights off.

I was thinking about this. I live in Boston and it's fairly easy for me to "disconnect" from the Devils when they suck. For someone who lives in Jersey and spends a couple thousand on seasons tickets - it's probably harder. Granted, I don't think most of the people who ***** and moan on this board are season ticket holders.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
While I would normally agree, it's really a pick your poison moment and as mentioned above, McDavid is a world class player. He defended the pass up until the last moment and thought he had a chance to cut his angle completely, was really a very good play.

I know there's probably only one player in the world more dangerous 2-on-1 with the puck than McDavid. But I just felt like Merrill was indecisive. His gap was way too big to be taking the shot away, and he did almost nothing with his stick to take the pass. Maybe I need to watch it again but that's how it appeared to me tbh.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
How was the effort last night? I am just going by that pic above but whoever decided to change there should be doing laps at practice, that's pathetic.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Honestly, I don't think we played all that bad in regulation and our loss came from a bonehead change in OT. That new guy on D played real well and Santini is looking better and better with every game that goes by.

People, this team blows and losing your minds after every loss isn't worth it cause that's just who we are. The quicker some of you will understand that, the less frustrated you'll be after a loss.

NJRockinRoller

May 14, 2014
On the brighter side of things, I am REALLY liking Santini's game. Not just for his defensive work, but for a guy that is a stay-at-home, he is actually pretty decent at moving the puck. Way better than Lovejoy or Quincey.

If you like his game now imagine how much better he will be when Green returns and can develop him.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You missed the Great Santini's butt goal!? :laugh:

Looking at Santini's stat line right now...He's gonna catch Zacha soon

NHL 6 1 2 3 +6

EDIT: That 2013 draft is looking spectacular for us right now....Only 5 picks going in and no 1st rounder AND we walk away with Wood and Santini. Pretty Awesome.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Henrique. One of our "leaders".

Go figure, yet Bennett is crucified for his "work ethic." Not that he'd be out there in OT anyway. That's as bad a line change as you can get, not only is it poor on Henriques part for not staying in the play he's not even giving himself time to get back into the play because the play is already going up ice.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

NHL 6 1 2 3 +6

EDIT: That 2013 draft is looking spectacular for us right now....Only 5 picks going in and no 1st rounder AND we walk away with Wood and Santini. Pretty Awesome.

Played 18:26 and saw PP and PK time last night. Loving what I see.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Honestly, I don't think we played all that bad in regulation and our loss came from a bonehead change in OT. That new guy on D played real well and Santini is looking better and better with every game that goes by.

People, this team blows and losing your minds after every loss isn't worth it cause that's just who we are. The quicker some of you will understand that, the less frustrated you'll be after a loss.
Oilers beat writer (?) wrote that Oilers had 12 quality scoring chances in the game while Devils had only 4. Oilers also won shots on goal 34–19, so we didn't play particularly well. Last game against Oilers was even worse, but it was still weak game (at least our offensive game).

I have really liked Santini's game. His defensive game has been solid and he has made some good offensive plays. And I think last night Palmieri was our best forward. He made some strong moves with the puck, which led, for instance, to Zajac's goal. Henrique was just horrible.

Lately some people have praised Merrill's game, but I think he has been only average. Today's game was good example of that. Yeah, OT goal was mainly Henrique's/Wood's/Hynes' fault, but Merrill should have cut off the passing lane (I think Dano (?) said something like that he was trying to cheat a little bit there). And many player's makes awful passes every now and then, but that pass attempt was still hideous.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
A couple quick thoughts on the game:

- Merrill: He had two pretty bad turnovers BUT his 1v1, gap control / backward skating seems much improved. At this point, I just want the youth to make gains and he seems to be doing that. I agree, though, that it was a mixed game.
- Stollery: Seems like a stop-gap, Peter Harrold clone, which I was never as negative about.
- Santini: I love the way he thinks about the game and my trust grows game to game. Last year, it was how I felt about Larsson. "Oh Adam's on the ice...no worries..." I hope Santini can grow into that role.
- Woods: I didn't love his game last night, but not as much as I did not like...
- Cammo: Man, he had a stinker. The puck was not his friend and he was not winning pucks just like...
- Kalinin: Dude lost a few key board battles and I just don't see his defensive game being elite as the coaches must. I remember one clearance he failed, in particular that almost led to a goal against. He brings nothing and I don't even think his defensive game is all that great.
- DSP: Put out good effort, but he cannot make the little plays. I would rather see more of...
- Coleman: I thought he was getting better and he seems to think the game at a fast pace. He put up points in the USHL and he seems to get better as time passes from level to level. So, if he's a kid that can improve given challenges, I say give him some ice time.
- Palms: I also thought Palms had one of his best games as a Devil. He was possessing, driving and playing with heart. His trigger is a little off, but it was encouraging unlike...
- Rico: Very disappointing effort. I hate how streaky he is. Maybe he's Russian? I keed. I once thought he might be captain material, but there's just no way. He takes too many shifts and games off.

Preferred lineup:

Hall - Zajac - Palms
Cammo - Zacha - PAP
Woods - Rico - Coleman (maybe 2 energy guys will teach the old man to skate)
BB8 - JJ - DSP (Mr. Glass played ok before his latest injury)

I know this will never happen because Kalinin probably practices hard and that's all Mr. Clean II cares about...but that's my hope.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Oilers beat writer (?) wrote that Oilers had 12 quality scoring chances in the game while Devils had only 4. Oilers also won shots on goal 34–19, so we didn't play particularly well. Last game against Oilers was even worse, but it was still weak game (at least our offensive game).

We didn't outplay the Oilers but we kept it close against a better team. This board was complaining that they were tired of getting crushed 5-2 every other game and were perfectly fine with 2-1 loses. Well, that's the product you'll get if we want to have a shot at a single point. It's not pretty but with this roster, it's probably the only way for us to get anything.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
We didn't outplay the Oilers but we kept it close against a better team. This board was complaining that they were tired of getting crushed 5-2 every other game and were perfectly fine with 2-1 loses. Well, that's the product you'll get if we want to have a shot at a single point. It's not pretty but with this roster, it's probably the only way for us to get anything.

We didn't play all that different than when we were getting blown out. It's just that Cory was better. We still gave up a ton of quality chances and didn't get many. This is the perfect example of a game in which we deserved 0 points but Cory got us 1. And he's done that repeatedly over the last few years and that has resulted in us missing out on the top tier of the draft...I know many don't wanna hear that but it's the reality of our situation. And it's gonna happen again this year when Cory stays hot to finish out the season. Oh well.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
So Santini still hasn't been on for a goal against I think. He's been fantastic in his 6 games.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Really happy with Santini's play. You couldn't expect more as a rookie and he's contributing offense, something I didn't expect.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany

NHL 6 1 2 3 +6

With Bo Horvat instead of Schneider we'd look even better ... considering Schneiders age and the state of the team for the next few of years.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Merrill is getting better but he's currently playing way more minutes than he ever should.

I'm more impressed at his gap control, 1v1 play, and a lot of the areas where he's struggled the last couple years steadily improving. He looks like he could be a depth defender for us after looking AHL quality the last couple years.

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
Merrill has been playing like a serviceable NHL defenseman lately, which is perfectly fine with me. Naturally I hope he continues to progress and become more of an impact player, but being able to fill out the D with young, cost controlled players is a big help as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->