GDT: Your New Jersey Devils @ Anaheim Ducks, 10 PM EST, MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Something is wrong with Jack. Not just physically. That first Anaheim game seemed to break something in his brain.
He looks almost back to his old self these last two games. Though the fact that he’s now taking zero faceoffs per game tells us there is something still wrong with him physically.

Reactions: Devils731

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
He looks almost back to his old self these last two games. Though the fact that he’s now taking zero faceoffs per game tells us there is something still wrong with him physically.
20 shots in his last two games. Wild

For a random comparison, Sharangovich has 21 shots in his last 10 games.

Reactions: Devs3cups

theking72

Confucius Ackbar
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
NJ
1000020737.gif

Reactions: Richer's Ghost

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Its just so frustrating how it’s always something

PP finally back on track, PK was good. Scored 3 goals despite a good goalie performance from the opponent. Of course Daws couldn’t make a save on goals 1 and 2. Shame. I’m so ready for next season.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Once again if Cory Schneider let in goals 1 and 2 tonight Mr Jim is singing a completely different tune.

Those should have been saves, bottomline and it is exactly why Ruff publicly called out the goaltending tonight which he rarely does. He always gives them a long leash with the media

I know five hole saves look easy but they are the hardest place to stop a puck. Esp from their best goal scorer, all alone, on the first shot.

We can't just keep ringing the 'bad goalie' bell forever. This team sucks and if you've not spotted the pattern of us having a guy look like a savior for two weeks and then eventually being beaten down by games like the Rags loss and follow on garbage... Then I don't know what to do for you. Saros would last three weeks above..900. Markstrom two, max.

Last edited:

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Bad goaltending is like a cancer that eventually spreads an impacts other parts of a team game because they try to make up for it.

Now I’m not a big “timely saves” vs sv percentage person because all saves are timely, because if they didn’t happen they would be goals. But allowing goals, especially bad goals are deflating for a team.
Yeah and the reverse is true
A bad breakdown every f*cking first shift of every game leads to bad goaltending.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Jack is not a good penalty/shootout player. Incredibly stupid Bratt didn’t take the shot.

This team has some weird mindset that they need to completely deke out the goalie and overcomplicate things. It's really not that complicated, idk why they try to make it that way. On that penalty shot, the goalie came wayyyyyyy out. Jack should've came in at full speed, do a little deke and the goalie would've went flopping like a fish, guaranteed. Instead he went slow speed and did...whatever it is he tried to do.

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I know five hole saved look easy but they are the hardest place to stop a puck. Esp from their best goal scorer, all alone, on the first shot.

We can't just keep ringing the 'bad goalie' bell forever. This team sucks and if you've not spotted the pattern of us having a guy look like a savior for two weeks and then eventually bring beaten down by games like the Rags loss and follow on garbage... Then I don't know what to do for you. Saros would last three weeks above..900. Markstrom two, max.
I’m just tired of kids getting the burden of number 1 duties on this team and being overplayed when they should be developed in a better manner. I was also tired of watching Vitek try to be a #1 when he clearly wasn’t.

We simply need a proven #1 to get 60% of the games. I think Markstrom can do that for two seasons here. We haven’t had a proven goalie since Cory 13-17

Its a lot more than just screaming “bad goalie”. We need actual structure in the goaltender position (a proven vet) and we need a better way to develop our kids in net. That’s what I want. Theres a huge difference from kids being overworked and not performing in net than a veteran goalie being overworked and not performing because the latter have already experienced what it takes to go through those stretches in this league. This shit can be detrimental to Daws.

Last edited:
Reactions: NJDevs26

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Come on guys...every goalie we face automagically becomes incredible making 40 plus saves while we give up 4 or 5 on less than 25 shot...this has been going on with multiple goalies and it happened the same exact way in 2022...

Our defense is bad. Very bad....and forwards don't protect the puck at all in the offensive zone...I wish I could prove the exact number of goals we've given up off the rush with our defense caught flat footed because one of our forwards missed the net wide....it happened multiple times tonight and the Ducks scored off of a Bratt shot wide....we shoot from the perimeter indiscriminately. Our defenders are too deep in the offensive zone too frequently Our in zone coverage is atrocious. Our defensive reads are slow to non-existent.

How many times do you have see Sal show you a missed coverage on the teleprompter to get it?

You know, we talk about being spoiled by two decades of elite goaltending. I don't think people were around long enough to see what good defense looks like. Or maybe they just forgot.

But what we are seeing nightly is some of the worst defense I've ever seen. The white/mottau top pairing teams were bad but this crap blows then away. Thank God Luke is a rookie with unlimited potential and we have Subban, middle years Severson and Ty Smith in our recent rear view mirror bc any other scenario and our fanbase would shred him.

The Rangers helped shesterkin look bad most of the season and both have turned it around together. The Lightning made Vas look bad and both have turned it around.

Our forwards are so irresponsible. Our D has plugs at the bottom, two struggling rookies, Bahl.. Who isn't much removed from the rookies, and Marinoand Siegs who aren't much removed from healthy scratch land.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I’m just tired of kids getting the burden of number 1 duties on this team and being overplayed when they should be developed in a better manner. I was also tired of watching Vitek try to be a #1 when he clearly wasn’t.

We simply need a proven #1 to get 60% of the games. I think Markstrom can do that for two seasons here. We haven’t had a proven goalie since Cory 13-17

Its a lot more than just screaming “bad goalie”. We need actual structure in the goaltender position (a proven vet) and we need a better way to develop our kids in net. That’s what I want. Theres a huge difference from kids being overworked and not performing in net than a veteran goalie being overworked and not performing because the latter have already experienced what it takes to go through those stretches in this league. This shit can be detrimental to Daws.

No shit. You're right. I'm a stout believer we ruined Blackwood. I thought he had the physical makeup and technique to be a #1. I think the same of Schmid and we ruined him this year. That's why they sent him down. I still think Vitek is a viable #2.
We are ruining Daws bc he started out well and only recently have we pounded him into the ground. If Vitek wasn't hiding somewhere they should let him just play out the string.

Markstrom would be no better in this mess. Do you want to give up Holz and a pick and cap space for some guy in his thirties?

MAYBE we win a couple on the newfound confidence. Or maybe the first shot in his first shift is from the opposing team's best goal scorer and it goes in. And then what?

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
No shit. You're right. I'm a stout believer we ruined Blackwood. I thought he had the physical makeup and technique to be a #1. I think the same of Schmid and we ruined him this year. That's why they sent him down. I still think Vitek is a viable #2.
We are ruining Daws bc he started out well and only recently have we pounded him into the ground. If Vitek wasn't hiding somewhere they should let him just play out the string.

Markstrom would be no better in this mess. Do you want to give up Holz and a pick and cap space for some guy in his thirties?

MAYBE we win a couple on the newfound confidence. Or maybe the first shot in his first shift is from the opposing team's best goal scorer and it goes in. And then what?
Id rather a veteran take on the load for this team in the next two seasons. I’d trade a 1st and some lower prospect if possible. This cannot continue as the team is learning how to compete.

Get me Markstrom for two seasons. See how Daws and Schmid develops.

Id also trade Toff to recoup that 1st.

• Love
Reactions: Bad Goalie

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I am Flames fan who has watched 50 games this season. He has won us at least 10 games himself standing on his head. If you think he let's too many easy ones, you have not watched enough. He is a monster who is in the league's leading positions in almost every possible stat notably stops against high danger chances. Also a very likeable locker room guy who wants to win.

He sat on the end of the bench when lifted for an extra skater when the Comets lost the 2016 Calder Cup Finals to Manchester (LA's AHL affiliate) with tears in his eyes. The game was 2-1 and he was beating himself up over not having stopped at least 1 of the 2 goals. Forget his mates had only scored 1 after having run the Monarchs out of the building in game 5. For the season he posted 1.88 Gaa and .934 SV% and for 23 playoff games 2.11 GAA and .925 SV%. He hasn't spent a minute in the AHL since.

He is a very serious competitor and is more often than not incredible game in and game out. All keepers lay an egg now and then. It's impossible to be lights out all the time. But while in Utica for the 2015-16 season he was as close to that as possible.

He was one of the few Canucks to play well during his stay there (2016-17 thru 2019-20) under arguably the worst NHL GM in history, who allowed Marky and Tanev to both walk to Calgary as free agents after the 2019-2020 season. He literally let 2 of the league's best players leave with 0 compensation. They are still among the league's best at their positions for doing what they are signed to do. Markstrom is having a Vezina type season again.

You can't tell me he wouldn't be a better choice for the Devils than what they have been living with since Fitz took over. A mediocre Marky would be outstanding in comparison.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

Blackwood’s body failed him repeatedly. It’s still failing him in SJ.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
That's how we teach it.

Come to think of it, I want an old goalie like Markstrom. Being 34 it might take a looooooooong time for reprogramming to kick in and he starts to blow like everyone else. He'll be more set in his ways and might stay productive longer.
Rollie was the most instrumental piece in making Marky what he became. He was his coach that season in Utica and Marky blossomed into a star.

Oh, and Benning let Rollie go as well.

HughesCorporation

in the box
Jan 27, 2023
we are not your fathers devils. we push fast and deep into th OZ. when we are playing from behind we push even harder, that makes us susceptible to the odd man rushing and especially covering the trailers.. add youth and lack of a solid net front dman and bad goaltending and injuries.. you get this nonsense
the ducks put a fork in us.. isnt it supposed to be the other way around?

whos our goalie next year and big dman? forget ruff, hell be gone

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
The takes are wild in here today.

I've been down on the team for a big part of the year, I just don't think it's their year.

Sucks when reading posts here isn't fun.
Tough season but the foundation is still here.

- need new voice
- need veteran goalie
- need 3C
- need some more speed in bottom 6
- need a Siegs upgrade
- maybe a new LW for Jack

Reactions: Devs3cups

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It was a common thing I noticed at one point. Mostly from men in service trucks up in Jersey.

It’s been a while since I’ve seen a really dirty dashboard like these guys had.
I worked in housing track construction sites during my late high school and college summers and all the contractor pickups looked just like those mentioned here. in fact my beat up rattle traps I purchased before each summer for a song and a dance and dumped at the end of each summer looked just like them minus the cigarette wrappers. My wife to be was constantly cleaning up after me. Gotta love her!

Reactions: Bleedred and JimEIV

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
No shit. You're right. I'm a stout believer we ruined Blackwood. I thought he had the physical makeup and technique to be a #1.

Lol we did not ruin Blackwood. Besides injuries his MO was to make extremely difficult saves with his amazing athletic ability but then let in stinkers because he couldn’t follow the play, didn’t know how to look around screens and had terrible brain farts. the only thing ruining him is between his ears

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Blackwood’s body failed him repeatedly. It’s still failing him in SJ.

Hes been available all season for the sharks. Yeah he'll miss this week. And we helped it along, by making him turn himself inside out, getting concussed repeatedly by even his own defensemen.

Blackwood starting his career in Boston is probably as effective as Swayman or Ullmark. I see no reason why he couldn't have thrived in the Vegas scenario along with Hill, Brossoit, Thompson, etc.

In retrospect, I wish one of our 1b goalie vets like Crawford worked out, bc they might've just taken enough bullets so that one of these young goalies got their footing.

Our defense was solid enough last year to let both Vitek and Schmid roll for times.

This year has been bad hockey bailed out by occasional fits of amazing individual efforts.

Reactions: JimEIV
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad