GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (5-7-4) vs. Ottawa Senators (6-10-1), 7 PM, MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
It's a good question, but typically teams have an identity. The Devils during their great years certainly had one. Which is not to say they couldn't generate offense, but they were a tough defensive team. That was who they were.

Edmonton in their hey day. The broadstreet bullies, the Isles with Trotz have adapted an identity, etc. I think Boston is a team who has stuck to an identity for ever.

Now like I said above you do want adaptability, when your down a goal in the 3rd a good defensive team needs to open things, and the converse is true of a good offensive team with a lead in the 3rd, but when you show up to the rink for a game, I think you want to know who you are.

Adaptability is key as you reiterated. I don't see it witb this staff.. I agree there should be identity, it is good to know who you are, but it shouldn't be tied to just fast system only till death. I want identity, but not at all costs.

I guess in short, the system sucks ultimately. Or too complex that players get caught out, particularly in dzone play.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So, Zacha benched Friday and Hayden in? I'm thinking that will big change before that game.maybe goose gets benched again for Boqvist too, but that is less likely.
I figure your intent is to critique Hynes here, but Zacha's play, especially after being pushed down to the 4th line in the game before, is very frustrating.

He plays at 75%. I wouldn't be that upset if he was benched.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
it's sad that it's the second week of november and i'm already starting to feel like if we win now it just hurts our lottery chances

Reactions: HBK27

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Last night was a killer for me because I had remained optimistic despite the bad start.

I saw last night as a very important game.

I did too. Their backs were to the wall and they had the worst team in the NHL in their arena, and they laid a total egg. There's really nothing else to say. I won't write the season off yet, but at this point it would take a Lemaire-esqe turnaround. And we don't have Lemaire, Kovalchuk, or Hedberg.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This team should be scoring more than this.

Goaltending and keeping the puck out of the net was always going to be a question mark. The offense wasn’t supposed to be.

We scored more goals last year before Hall was injured and we were icing lineups from Binghamton by the end of the year.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I figure your intent is to critique Hynes here, but Zacha's play, especially after being pushed down to the 4th line the game before, is very frustrating.

He plays at 75%. I wouldn't be that upset if he was benched.

I think this narrative is misleading. He just doesn't play like Miles Wood. Watch the rest of the league. You are gonna see a lot more guys playing like Zacha, conserving energy and using it at the right times, than guys like Wood who go recklessly at 110% all the time. A lot of good players play like Zacha, arguably our most consistent performer to this point. Not many play the wild game Hynes preaches and kills Pavel for not playing.

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think this narrative is misleading. He just doesn't play like Miles Wood. Watch the rest of the league. You are gonna see a lot more guys playing like Zacha, conserving energy and using it at the right times, than guys like Wood who go recklessly at 110% all the time. A lot of good players play like Zacha, arguably our most consistent performers to this point. Not many play the wild game Hynes preaches and kills Pavel for not playing.
I disagree, and I don't need to watch the rest of the league when I can compare him to players on this team.

Hughes, Nico, Bratt, Zajac, Coleman, even a checked out Hall, all play with more urgency then Zacha. He brings less then any guy on the team. And I know part of that is style, he plays a cerebral game, but he out thinks himself. He's entirely too cautious.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Gusev since the benching is at least trying, even though it goes against years of playing a successful style of play in the KHL, he's at least showing a want.

Don't see it nearly enough from Zacha.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

Goaltending and keeping the puck out of the net was always going to be a question mark. The offense wasn’t supposed to be.

We scored more goals last year before Hall was injured and we were icing lineups from Binghamton by the end of the year.

Every forward is under-producing except for Simmonds and Palmieri. Every. Single. One. Probably has something to do with Simmer looking like a competent NHL player when he gets a breakaway. You know what? I wouldn't even trade Simmonds at the deadline if he's willing to sign an extension. Give him 2 more years at $5 million. If he's able to produce with this group of jokers he should be a amazing when the team pulls its collective head out of its ass.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Ya, that has been a back story to the shoddy goal tending, but our lack of goal scoring is glaring.

We have 1 guy with more then 4 goals this year.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
why would simmonds re-sign here though if he's playing up his value and can go to a winner and not a rebuild at this point in his career? we'll get at least a 2nd for him

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
You know what I thought helped suck the energy out of the team last night? The PP.

Or it at least helped inject energy into Ottawa who just looked awful to start the game.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He was one of our best players last night. It's a real shame that the team is a disaster because I bet he's a 1st line quality forward by the end of the season.
I think his lack of either speed or toughness keeps him from being a legit 1st line guy, but I think he could make for a very productive 2nd line player.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
why would simmonds re-sign here though if he's playing up his value and can go to a winner and not a rebuild at this point in his career? we'll get at least a 2nd for him

I don't know, stays in the area and he's unlikely to do better than 2 x $5 in the open market anyway. At this point we should really get a 1st for him but I doubt anyone will pay that.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
The PP set up has to change. It's awful.

It's not hard to defend when you eliminate 2 guys out of 5 and just alternate your passes between Hall-Vatanen/Butcher-Hughes.

Don't even get me started on the 2nd unit that I'm fairly positive has not scored a goal all f***ing year.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Every forward is under-producing except for Simmonds and Palmieri. Every. Single. One. Probably has something to do with Simmer looking like a competent NHL player when he gets a breakaway. You know what? I wouldn't even trade Simmonds at the deadline if he's willing to sign an extension. Give him 2 more years at $5 million. If he's able to produce with this group of jokers he should be a amazing when the team pulls its collective head out of its ass.
Agree, and I'd even say Simmonds has been better then his production will tell you. He's looked very good. And I thought he may just be a place holder for Bastian, but given Bastian is underwhelming in Bing this year, I'd look to bring Simmonds back.

Reactions: Blackjack
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad