GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (5-7-4) vs. Ottawa Senators (6-10-1), 7 PM, MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
The games under MacLean was a hundred times worse. That team couldn’t even get a lead, would lose 5-1 every night and the players were out of shape.

What we are currently seeing is a team with enough talent who should be in the middle of the pack, constantly get leads but are unable to hold those leads due to a bad coaching staff and inconsistent goaltending. Let’s be honest, if this team was playing smart hockey they would easily have 10-12 wins. Those 3rd period blown leads are inexcusable and it is a direct indictment on the staff. The players are the ones getting those leads, the ‘system‘ is preventing them from closing out the games.

Camille the Eel

The MacLean season was a hundred times worse. That team couldn’t even get a lead, would lose 5-1 every night and the players were out of shape.

What we are currently seeing is a team with enough talent who should be in the middle of the pack, constantly get leads but are unable to hold those leads due to a bad coaching staff and inconsistent goaltending.
Last night was a moral collapse. Meaning like an army that panics and throws down its weapons and runs away. The last six minutes were something I have not seen before from this team and that was different from other blown leads this season. We just watched them destroy us - the worst team in the east torched us and we had no response.

I think it’s incorrect to liken this loss to a continuum of other games in the Hynes era. This is a different level of collapse. It is like the MacLean firing moment because the tank is empty. This is rock bottom. Hynes and his staff cannot turn this around. We should not allow our young players to be pickled in this brine going forward. I have not been an alarmist but we must make a change now for the good of the franchise. Anyone who can enforce some level of confidence and a style of play that will let the kids at least not be ruined by the experience of this year.

RandoDoomer

Apr 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ
They sure are doing a wonderful job building a losing culture here. That's gotta be doing wonders for the young guys.

How many times has "at least it can't get worse" been uttered on these forums this season? Yet it always seems to get a little worse.

On the bright side, Hall's BS has certainly lessened the blow of him leaving. I think people would be lining up to drive him to the airport at this point. He's on pace for like 9 goals this season, right? At least he's racking up lots of meaningless assists.

And I'll definitely save some $$. I was planning to go to a bunch of games this year, but now I think I'll just try to grab some cheap club seats in the spring when we're watching the lottery standings.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Meh I don’t buy that. Get the right coach in here next season and things will change in a hurry.

Edmonton should never have a winning season again if being used to losing is a thing, yet they are 1st in the pacific.
A competent second goaltender and a legit top pair LHD to go along with a new coach would also make a huge difference in my view.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I don't understand why this team only has to play one way, 1 system. Best league in the world and the coaching staff can't adapt mutliple systems to switch to when game scenarios dictate? Got a goal or mutli goal lead in the game, play to win, team identity is built on character, not systems alone.

The goal is to win the game, not have a single identity even if it means marching off a cliff with said identity.

The long stretch passes dont work on breakout? Go back to traditional systems for a stretch...then switch back. Alternate.

We can dissect the fails of this season, but one thing is for certain, Hynes doesnt coach to win. In the big picture of this season in my opinion, last night's fail was fairly equivalent to all the blown goal leads lost. The last 6 mins was bad, but i can't say its any different to Florida game, or Edm(first one) or any other crap we saw. Fail to hold a lead, play same way..

Last edited:

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
it gets more frustrating the more you think about how many leads this team has had. they can play well for large stretches of the game and can get ahead. but like as soon as the other team gets a sense of urgency they take it to them and the devils just fold. i've never seen anything like it.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Pittsburgh, @ Montreal, Boston, @ Pittsburgh. The end for Hynes is likely near. I would guess (hope) losses in the next two will do it.
And if they go 2-0 in the next two games, people here will again talk about how they have to get to 0.500 to salvage the season.

I just hope Shero (or the owners) analyze the first quarter of the season as a whole and get to the right conclusion.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
finally ready to say it can't get worse. what's worse than blowing a 3rd period lead to ottawa and losing in regulation like that?
Ya, especially given everything that has gone on this year. The awful start, all the blown leads, then looking like we've maybe gotten things back on track.

To lose a game to a bad team on your home ice when you have a 3rd period lead? Any potential momentum out the window. Just a terrible loss.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
it gets more frustrating the more you think about how many leads this team has had. they can play well for large stretches of the game and can get ahead. but like as soon as the other team gets a sense of urgency they take it to them and the devils just fold. i've never seen anything like it.

My thoughts, utterly frustrating and bizarre.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
He and Zajac are the only two players on the team who have ever witnessed success for more than a single season (well, I guess Cory did in Vancouver too). Which is actually quite sad and probably part of what's wrong with this team. Too many players on this team are used to losing.
You want them to build winner around Greene, Zajac and Schneider? :confused:

There is no easy rebuild. Sometimes it takes time. Sometimes some stuff go wrong and adjustments to the strategy are needed. Sometimes it goes terribly wrong.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don't understand why this team only has to play one way, 1 system. Best league in the world and the coaching staff can't adapt mutliple systems to switch to when game scenarios dictate? Got a goal or mutli goal lead in the game, play to win, team identity is built on character, not systems alone.

The goal is to win the game, not have a single identity even if it means marching off a cliff with said identity.

We can dissect the fails of this season, but one thing is for certain, Hynes doesnt coach to win. In the big picture of this season in my opinion, last night's fail was fairly equivalent to all the blown goal leads lost. The last 6 mins was bad, but i can't say its any different to Florida game, or Edm(first one) or any other crap we saw. Fail to hold a lead, play same way..
It's a good question, but typically teams have an identity. The Devils during their great years certainly had one. Which is not to say they couldn't generate offense, but they were a tough defensive team. That was who they were.

Edmonton in their hey day. The broadstreet bullies, the Isles with Trotz have adapted an identity, etc. I think Boston is a team who has stuck to an identity for ever.

Now like I said above you do want adaptability, when your down a goal in the 3rd a good defensive team needs to open things, and the converse is true of a good offensive team with a lead in the 3rd, but when you show up to the rink for a game, I think you want to know who you are.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
we do have an identity unfortunately it's as being a bunch of pushovers that you're never out of it when you play against them

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
yeah found myself not being nearly as angry as the rest of the board over this loss last night i'm just disappointed. rough watching other teams actually play well and wonder why we can't do that ever

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Which kind of reminds me of the playoffs in 17-18.

I thought we had a very good regular season, were fiesty, played with energy, lot of speed, and I know we were matched up against a very good team, but we have seen lesser teams compete against if not beat higher ranked teams before, and they made us look like we didn't even belong in the playoffs.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Last night was a moral collapse. Meaning like an army that panics and throws down its weapons and runs away. The last six minutes were something I have not seen before from this team and that was different from other blown leads this season. We just watched them destroy us - the worst team in the east torched us and we had no response.

I think it’s incorrect to liken this loss to a continuum of other games in the Hynes era. This is a different level of collapse. It is like the MacLean firing moment because the tank is empty. This is rock bottom. Hynes and his staff cannot turn this around. We should not allow our young players to be pickled in this brine going forward. I have not been an alarmist but we must make a change now for the good of the franchise. Anyone who can enforce some level of confidence and a style of play that will let the kids at least not be ruined by the experience of this year.
And wildly enough they had that bit of pressure that looked very very good with Zacha's line. Shortly after that it went off the rails.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
So, Zacha benched Friday and Hayden in? I'm thinking that will big change before that game.maybe goose gets benched again for Boqvist too, but that is less likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad