GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (3-1) vs. Calgary Flames (3-1-1), 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Hopefully they come "flying out the gate" from the 1st period onward in the next game.

That was pitiful from both the first two periods.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this :

5ry7wp.jpg

He could've shot it or passed it to a teammate down low but instead he was thinking PASS ANYWHERE ELSE all the way. I don't understand what Bratt is thinking or if he even is thinking.

He needs some continuity, some confidence and some momentum. I'm really certain he'll come back to his full unicorn self if he gets these 4 solid days of (bag skates err..) practices.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
It might depend upon whether they move Mercer to wing. I could see him playing with Jack.

I think I like Mercer at center more, 55% at the dot tonight and most of his shifts started in the defensive zone. Also finding Hughes a power forward winger outside the organization might be better since Holtz is gonna be staple gunned to Jack soon

Reactions: My3Sons

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I'd put Vesey with Nico honestly. Both can create space down low. Nico has had to do it all on his own

yeah, I think Vesey is a big body who can find open ice, and you're right - outside of Zacha - there aren't too many guys like that on this team. I would REALLY like to see someone other than Nico be 'the guy in front of the net'.

Reactions: ScottyK

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Like 100% a mirror of Parise. Mercer has the insane forechecking. Probably not as fast though. Also seems to have sick hands like Parise did. I wonder if he's insane at the shootout too. Only thing I'd need to see is if Mercer is master at deflections too, to complete the Parise clone.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I would try a forechecking system. Get them skating. They play tentatively when they play a structured system. It doesn’t fit this group.

Ruff is a placeholder in all honesty so we shouldn’t be that mad but at the same time this Devils team is built similar to his Buffalo and Dallas teams that took steps in getting better when he was there. The biggest problems are the bozos in control the special teams in Recchi and Nas.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think I like Mercer at center more, 55% at the dot tonight and most of his shifts started in the defensive zone. Also finding Hughes a power forward winger outside the organization might be better since Holtz is gonna be staple gunned to Jack soon

i could see it go either way. I think if Nico really drops to 3C that’s a good problem to have. Long term I think Nico is the veteran leader and the team skews even younger with Mercer Stillman Holtz and whoever pans out and is willing to take a reasonable contract between Zacha Bratt and Shara.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I really lay a lot of blame on the staff for this one. I get changes needing to be made but didn’t understand the shift from the lines that turned it around in the last game, which they ended up reverting to later on in the game.

Couple that with the flatness the players came out with overall and it’s a recipe for what we saw in the 1st period.

Hopefully Bratt and Rango got the wake up call because they’ve been the hardest players to watch over these first 5 games. They’re absolutely capable of more.

Reactions: billingtons ghost
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad