GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (3-1) vs. Calgary Flames (3-1-1), 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
The goalies let in the first 4 goals in under 8 shots. You can absolutely criticize the goaltending. It was not of NHL standards tonight.
Our goaltending tandem is literally not of NHL standards any night. We have our 3rd and 4th string goalies playing. Both are AHL caliber at best right now, which is certainly mot helping our cause. Let’s hope Mac and Bernier get back soon.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
You didn't watch, did you?

I did watch that shit show. They team played poorly, but they could have used an actual save. A couple of those shots (such as Lucic’s) an NHL goalie stops. Under no circumstances should allowing 4 goals (between both goalies) in under 8 shots be unacceptable.

Everything else being said about the team’s performance is true, but the goaltending was still shit.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The goalies let in the first 4 goals in under 8 shots. You can absolutely criticize the goaltending. It was not of NHL standards tonight.

Goals one and four were breakaways, goal number two Siegenthaler turns it over in front of the net and then gets outmuscled by Mangiapane to boot, goal number three was deflected. This absolutely was not on goaltending, goaltending didn't cause them to be dead-ass for two periods in a row after being dead-ass for the first forty minutes against the Caps and the first thirty-five minutes against the Sabres.

If you get a save on the Lucic one the score's maybe 4-1 until the illusory junktime goals in the third? With the way things were going someone would have probably gotten to a rebound on a save anyway.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
My thoughts:

Not happy whatsoever with Sharangovich, Bratt, and Kuokkanen
We really really need Hughes, Wood, Blackwood, and Bernier back to get Geertsen, Gauthier, Daws, and Wedgewood out of here.

I want to call up Holtz. This team has needed and still needs a right handed top six forward. The lines are a total mess.

Tatar- Sharangovich- Bratt.... 0 goals combined through 5 games.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Goals one and four were breakaways, goal number two Siegenthaler turns it over in front of the net and then gets outmuscled by Mangiapane to boot, goal number three was deflected. This absolutely was not on goaltending, goaltending didn't cause them to be dead-ass for two periods in a row after being dead-ass for the first forty minutes against the Caps and the first thirty-five minutes against the Sabres.

I’m tired of this f***ing excuse over the last few years. Goalie in this league can stop breakaways. Not every breakaway can be allowed to go in.

I’m not saying the team wasn’t dead ass. 4 shots for in the first is putrid. But we need to get to the point where we can actually expect a goaltender to make a save.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I’m tired of this f***ing excuse over the last few years. Goalie in this league can stop breakaways. Not every breakaway can be allowed to go in.

I’m not saying the team wasn’t dead ass. 4 shots for in the first is putrid. But we need to get to the point where we can actually expect a goaltender to make a save.

First two were stoppable and even Daws probably knew it, cant fault him for the Lindholm tip and Wedgewood getting dangled into outer space by Mangiapane is an oh well

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I did watch that shit show. They team played poorly, but they could have used an actual save. A couple of those shots (such as Lucic’s) an NHL goalie stops. Under no circumstances should allowing 4 goals (between both goalies) in under 8 shots be unacceptable.

Everything else being said about the team’s performance is true, but the goaltending was still shit.
Lucic’s shot is going in 8 or 9 times out of 10 times against any NHL goalie. That is a really good shot on a breakaway and really hard to save.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

It's not that they can't be stopped but it's a higher percentage shot than most and only was a bad goal because of where he scored it. If he roofed it nobody could say crap about it, the 5-hole just is an easy excuse to blame the goalie after the more inexcusable meltdown already happened allowing a freaking elephant to get a breakaway in the first place. It's not as if they were exactly playing well before that happened either.

We had five-alarm fires all over the place while the Calgary goalie only had to keep napping in his net not to allow a goal in the first two periods.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Lucic’s shot is going in 8 or 9 times out of 10 times against any NHL goalie. That is a really good shot on a breakaway and really hard to save.

Bullshit. It was was an unobstructed shot from just below the top of the circle that beat Daws underneath him. It was a horrible defensive breakdown, but most goalie in the league clean that up and make the save for the whistle.

I get it that Daws is basically a kid being thrown in there. But that a couple of injuries hit and we have to turn to him is an indictment on the organization. We should have a better 3rd goalie call up than Wedgewood.

Reactions: billingtons ghost
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad