GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (23-17-3, 49 Pts) vs. Dallas Stars (26-13-5, 57 Pts), 7 PM, MSGSN - Honoring Sarge

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
+/- isn't always the best to use but you can say the same about advanced statistics to an extent as well. I'm sure there are a good amount of posters on here that are tired of seeing these twitter posts overhyping players because they have 5% more puck possession then the other team but can't actually do anything with it. I feel like advanced stats help some of you guys sleep better at night after this team takes a loss.

Are they habit forming and available only by prescription?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I hate the term “deserves credit”. The implication being that we should simply assign credit based on end result and ignore the details and observations along the way.

The breakout and DZ strategy sucked last year too. I’m not giving Lindy credit for having players who could skate their way out of it and goalies who were bailing them out.

On top of that, it was an outlier for Lindy. His post-lockout track record is incredibly mediocre.

I’ve been on the anti-Lindy train from day one, so it’s not like I’m just reacting to one bad year here.
The team had consistently elite metrics all season and the system was tailored perfectly to the roster. It’s not like we were PDOing to wins, we were just great. The idea that the goalie was bailing us out of anything is bull.

I’m aware that you were anti Lindy and will blame everything on him, including anemic goaltending.

Reactions: Oneiro

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
As a fan its frustrating to see the team struggle so badly on B2B’s. (One goalie took a mental health day to avoid it).

Its frustrating to see the team struggle at home. It frustrating to see them struggle against weaker competition. Its frustrating seeing them not close out games or start games poorly.

Ruff might get a pass (from Fitz) for all the injuries and the players deserve some of the blame, but most of the players are locked in for the long term, there are no goalies, the only real chance at improvement is to fire Ruff.

This team is too talented to look this bad. They get so defeated and they look lackadaisical.

Last edited:

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
The team had consistently elite metrics all season and the system was tailored perfectly to the roster. It’s not like we were PDOing to wins, we were just great. The idea that the goalie was bailing us out of anything is bull.

I’m aware that you were anti Lindy and will blame everything on him, including anemic goaltending.
The system was tailored perfectly to the roster? You have no idea what another coach could have gotten out of the same group. Also, Lindy didn’t tailor his system for that group. He’s running mostly the same BS this year despite roster turnover and a plethora of injuries.

Anemic goaltending can be mitigated by stronger defensive systems and puck management. The coach can also have an impact with his rotation/starter decisions. Lindy’s have been pretty questionable.

I’m not even saying he is a bad coach, per se. I can think of several who are worse, maybe even including one standing right beside him at the bench. But he’s definitely not good enough for the expectations on this team now. And I worry about how the lack of responsible structure can negatively impact or delay the development of this team. They aren’t learning how to play the right way outside of the OZ with this guy at the helm.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

It’s just an opinion but to me the system wasn’t a perfect match for the roster in the defensive zone. Offensive end sure.

Reactions: NJDevs26

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
My bad, someone on the post game radio show said that they played well that I didn't like the comments from, I believe it was Bratt. I was annoyed so I was half ass listening to it.

It was Ruff who said that. Don't remember if Bratt did too or not.

Good last year though?

It wasn't "good" last year. It was just masked. I am one of the few posters here who saw through it. Ruff is an incompetent coach who happened to have all the right pieces and experience to make it work. Now that he doesn't have it, well....we're seeing the results and he can't adjust for shit

Reactions: Satans Hockey

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Who says the system didn’t negatively affect last year’s team? Sometimes talent can overcome other deficiencies? I recall plenty of in-game moments last year when the breakouts and DZ/NZ play looked stupid. A lot of times they were simply fast and skilled enough to recover, and the goalies were playing over their heads to boot.

Their breakout and DZ strategy is f***ing dumb and relies way too much on individuals making great plays vs. keeping things simple and playing as a unit. It’s completely unserious at the nhl level in my opinion, no nhl team is winning a cup playing this asinine system.

Pretty much this. What I saw last season was talent overcoming a shitty system.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ

This team is too talented to look this bad. They get so defeated and they look lackadaisical.

1705865406615.png

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019

When he said this I nearly rolled on the floor. How can you say we played a great game after that disaster of a performance? That was one of the worst games I've seen in awhile. We made mistakes left right and center. I also think Lindy has lost the room. I can't picture Nico being happy about all of this. You know Holtz hates Lindy & Holtz is buddies with a few players so you know he's talking crap behind the scenes. When players start voicing to other players their disconnect with the coach you lose the room. It's very obvious. The only one who loves Lindy is Jack Hughes. I remember that year when Nico was asked about Lindy he said no comment which tells all you need to know.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If that was a great game I’d hate to see a poor one, Lindy really is Mr. Magoo if he believes that and a dope if he thinks anyone else will

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Who says the system didn’t negatively affect last year’s team? Sometimes talent can overcome other deficiencies? I recall plenty of in-game moments last year when the breakouts and DZ/NZ play looked stupid. A lot of times they were simply fast and skilled enough to recover, and the goalies were playing over their heads to boot.

Their breakout and DZ strategy is f***ing dumb and relies way too much on individuals making great plays vs. keeping things simple and playing as a unit. It’s completely unserious at the nhl level in my opinion, no nhl team is winning a cup playing this asinine system.
The topic was the system wearing the players out in b2b games.

The system didn't cause this to be a problem in the previous 3 seasons, but it is now? I'm not sure about this.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It wasn't "good" last year. It was just masked. I am one of the few posters here who saw through it. Ruff is an incompetent coach who happened to have all the right pieces and experience to make it work. Now that he doesn't have it, well....we're seeing the results and he can't adjust for shit
As I say above, the point of the above back in forth was in regard to our play in b2b's. Our style didn't cause us to struggle last year in b2b's, but now we think it does?

Also if that is true, then the Ruff system is good in non b2b's.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
As I say above, the point of the above back in forth was in regard to our play in b2b's. Our style didn't cause us to struggle last year in b2b's, but now we think it does?

Also if that is true, then the Ruff system is good in non b2b's.
IMG_6091.jpeg

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The difference is those guys are actually good though.

Foote is never and never has been.
But Foote has not been an issue though. +3 5v5,

We all know he is only playing because 3 guys higher up the ladder are hurt. Just don't see why he would at all be a focus of discussion.

No matter how good Nemec is, him getting torched on these goals lately has been an issue. Hughes too with his issues.

It does make you think doesn't it?

Reactions: Whaddagoal

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
It does make you think doesn't it?
I have given up on analyzing Ruff and his system lol. I think we are at the point where a new voice is needed. Even if it’s just Green as interim. Ruff has been here for a while now. NHL coaches have short shelf lives

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Marino has been out there for 46 5 on 5 goals, 15 more than the next closest. Whoever has the misfortune of playing with his this year is going to get scored on. He has been awful, and the two RHD pairing makes it even worse.
Marino is also a -14 5v5. The team as a whole is -2.

+12 when Marino is not on the ice.

I don't really pin this on Marino, and he does play the toughest minutes. But the coaching doesn't seem to be a big issue when Marino is not on the ice.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Marino is also a -14 5v5. The team as a whole is -2.

+12 when Marino is not on the ice.

I don't really pin this on Marino, and he does play the toughest minutes. But the coaching doesn't seem to be a big issue when Marino is not on the ice.
Marino will have a good year next season when he is properly on 3rd pairing duty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad