GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (23-17-3, 49 Pts) vs. Dallas Stars (26-13-5, 57 Pts), 7 PM, MSGSN - Honoring Sarge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm not arguing Foote is good, why would he be, he's like 5th on our depth chart, but he's a +3 5v5.

Nemec is a -3 since Foote came up, and has looked brutal on a couple of the goals.

Hughes's is a -2 and is also starring in the goals against highlights.
The difference is those guys are actually good though.

Foote is never and never has been.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
If it's the same system, why wouldn't that system negatively effect last years team in this way, or the seasons before that?

I don't know what the previous seasons records were, but pretty confident they weren't this bad.

I'm willing to give them a pass too.

It's the critique's of Cal Foote that I was really responding too.
Who says the system didn’t negatively affect last year’s team? Sometimes talent can overcome other deficiencies? I recall plenty of in-game moments last year when the breakouts and DZ/NZ play looked stupid. A lot of times they were simply fast and skilled enough to recover, and the goalies were playing over their heads to boot.

Their breakout and DZ strategy is f***ing dumb and relies way too much on individuals making great plays vs. keeping things simple and playing as a unit. It’s completely unserious at the nhl level in my opinion, no nhl team is winning a cup playing this asinine system.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Citing last year is really flawed thinking. Everything pretty much went right. No star players injured for significant stretches. Goalies playing well above their expectations. Generally good luck luck and finishing ability.

It was one really good regular season. You guys make it sound like Lindy has some great track record of systematically squeezing out great results under various conditions and qualities of rosters.

If your system requires everything else to go perfectly right in order for it to pay dividends…that’s a garbage system. It’s supposed to do the opposite.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I don't really see these goals against as partner issues for Nemec, well the 2-1 the other night was a lousy spot, but he's also just playing them poorly, getting smoked last night another example.

But as far as partners go, it's he and Marino together which are the issue. 2-7 goal differential.

A +1 with Sieg's
A +5 with Smith
+2 with Luke
Marino has been out there for 46 5 on 5 goals, 15 more than the next closest. Whoever has the misfortune of playing with his this year is going to get scored on. He has been awful, and the two RHD pairing makes it even worse.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Citing last year is really flawed thinking. Everything pretty much went right. No star players injured for significant stretches. Goalies playing well above their expectations. Generally good luck luck and finishing ability.

It was one really good regular season. You guys make it sound like Lindy has some great track record of systematically squeezing out great results under various conditions and qualities of rosters.
So Lindy deserves no credit when everything goes right and all the blame when seemingly everything goes wrong. Seems honest.

Vitek didn’t play well above expectations. His SV% was .03 higher than what it was before. Blackwood also played 22 games and sucked.

The team outstanding in almost all facets, I’m not going to pretend we lucked into a franchise record in points and a playoff series victory.

I don’t even care if Lindy is fired today or plays out the whole season, but I don’t see how a coach is supposed to fix losing a top pairing, top center, and a primary goalie being way off. Great, you found someone to “simplify things”, now the offense is measurably worse and the goalie is still letting in a softy a game.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Fitz assembled the talent and has done a good job....He now has to make the right move whether that is stick with Ruff or move on but that next move is critical for him and has to be done right.....If not then his seat will start to heat up
It's time for Fitz to face the music either way, can't go on Spitting Chicklets and everywhere else to take the plaudits after last year and then stay in the bunker when fans want answers this year. He's been missing more than Tyler Toffoli the last two months, which is saying something considering that dude only has four goals and four assists in twenty-three games, not counting his ultimate junktime goal last night.

Last edited:

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
It's time for Fitz to face the music either way, can't go on Spitting Chicklets and everywhere else to take the plaudits after last year and then stay in the bunker when fans want answers this year. He's been missing more than Tyler Toffoli the last two months, which is saying something considering that dude only has four goals and three assists in twenty-three games, not counting his ultimate junktime goal last night.

Tyler sucks without Jack, maybe that goal last night gets him going but I doubt it. I'm so disappointed in this guy.

This place truly blows when the team doesn’t perform lol.

So every year besides last year and 2018 since 2012? Lol

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It ain't just here where the fans are unhappy...the angst was everywhere last night even before the game and it got pretty ugly there late in the second period, deservedly so. Team is underachieving with no accountability from anyone other than the fans, who unfortunately all get tagged with Frank the Tank memes.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
So Lindy deserves no credit when everything goes right and all the blame when seemingly everything goes wrong. Seems honest.
I mean...that's kind of what the majority of this board thought all along lol, everyone here is all too happy to give Brunette the credit for last year as the power behind the throne and so far he's only been a mediocre head coach too. He benefitted from a talented team two years ago every bit as much as Lindy did last year and yet people think he's a genius...cue the grass is greener meme.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
It's time for Fitz to face the music either way, can't go on Spitting Chicklets and everywhere else to take the plaudits after last year and then stay in the bunker when fans want answers this year. He's been missing more than Tyler Toffoli the last two months, which is saying something considering that dude only has four goals and four assists in twenty-three games, not counting his ultimate junktime goal last night.
Yea I’m big on accountability. It’s easy to do a press tour when you’re a year ahead of schedule and looking like the most robust contender for the next decade, but I need something from him. And I think he’s done a tremendous job, we’re blessed to have him as GM…but you gotta show up when things aren’t hunky dory too.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Graves is a +13 on a "meh" Penguins team. I mean we shouldn't even really be this close to them in the standings but this team needs some stable defenders. I can't think of one player right now I'd feel comfortable out there having to defend a 1 goal lead right now. Bahl and Miller are the only positive players for us , granted they are playing smaller roles. Can't really expect this team to win most nights when our defense looks lost.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Graves is a +13 on a "meh" Penguins team. I mean we shouldn't even really be this close to them in the standings but this team needs some stable defenders. I can't think of one player right now I'd feel comfortable out there having to defend a 1 goal lead right now. Bahl and Miller are the only positive players for us , granted they are playing smaller roles. Can't really expect this team to win most nights when our defense looks lost.
I trust Nemec. He got walked last game, but it happens to the best of them. He’s 19 and he’s been our best D-man for quite some time.

I’m very confused about our veteran D-men this season. Their drop off has been something. But there’s no adjustment from the coaching staff to make their life easier either.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

the Penguins fans are trying to pawn him off for literally free on anyone that will listen lol he sucks.

using +/- in 2024 is such a fools errand.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
the Penguins fans are trying to pawn him off for literally free on anyone that will listen lol he sucks.

Not that I think Graves is special but…that’s also the same fan base that thought Ty Smith would be better than Marino.

Although the way things are shaking out this year, maybe it’s closer than I thought.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Fine with him talking to the media facing the music whatever people want to call it but that usually doesn't happen until we are towards the end of the year not the middle .....Can't look at this roster when healthy or even with the injuries the talent is still there and say Fitz hasn't done a good job he has...Team makes so many mistakes and doesn't do the simple right play most of the time that is on the coaches ..No doubt the path he takes after this year is vital to his future here....

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010

Vitek didn’t play well above expectations. His SV% was .03 higher than what it was before. Blackwood also played 22 games and sucked.

The team outstanding in almost all facets, I’m not going to pretend we lucked into a franchise record in points and a playoff series victory.

I don’t even care if Lindy is fired today or plays out the whole season, but I don’t see how a coach is supposed to fix losing a top pairing, top center, and a primary goalie being way off. Great, you found someone to “simplify things”, now the offense is measurably worse and the goalie is still letting in a softy a game.
I hate the term “deserves credit”. The implication being that we should simply assign credit based on end result and ignore the details and observations along the way.

The breakout and DZ strategy sucked last year too. I’m not giving Lindy credit for having players who could skate their way out of it and goalies who were bailing them out.

On top of that, it was an outlier for Lindy. His post-lockout track record is incredibly mediocre.

I’ve been on the anti-Lindy train from day one, so it’s not like I’m just reacting to one bad year here.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I’m not quite sure it’s the same system from last year with Brunette. I think the D zone coverage looks similar. We’re not nearly as fast either. @Devils731 is really good at breaking this stuff down.
I can’t pin down anything that looks significantly different than last year in the cycle defense.

I think the forwards are playing lower in the zone and collapsing into the slot more quickly but it’s not a big change.

I think the big changes may be philosophical rather than X and O. This year the Devils seem to get next to the puck but then not engage while last year I think they may have chosen to engage the puck carrier and cut off passing lanes more frequently.

I also think teams just have a better book on the Devils this year. Spreading your forwards, rimming the puck around, and keep both defenseman in the zone supporting the forecheck until the last moment. Those things all worked well last year but now it seems like teams execute those ideas almost every night against the Devils and they do all the effective things rather than just 1 or 2.

So, for me, I don’t think the system has changed much but I think there may have been a messaging change that makes the system less effective and opponents are more aware of the weaknesses and play stronger against the system.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
For what, the available goalie upgrade that doesn't exist? Severson, we'd just be complaining about his deal instead of Palat's, for different reasons. I'm not worried about three years from now when the cap should be drastically different by then.

I was thinking just more space to sign Mercer Luke and Nemec.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018

+/- isn't always the best to use but you can say the same about advanced statistics to an extent as well. I'm sure there are a good amount of posters on here that are tired of seeing these twitter posts overhyping players because they have 5% more puck possession then the other team but can't actually do anything with it. I feel like advanced stats help some of you guys sleep better at night after this team takes a loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad