Your Leaf Hater Friends - Do They Accept this is a Very Good Team ?

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
Recently I had a conversation with a buddy of mine who is a die hard Habs fan. He's also never liked the Leafs but is a knowledgeable hockey fan.

Inevitably, the conversation turned to the Leafs and he gave me a laundry list of reasons of why the Leafs could not be considered a true contender this year. This surprised me somewhat because so far in this young season the team is demonstrating it can be an offensive powerhouse. Didn't seem to be a very objective opinion.

My takeaway from this is that because the Leafs are a very polarizing team from a fan point of view and that because the team has been so mediocre for so long that some the Non Leaf fans will never believe that Toronto will be a contender. I wondered that if this was some other team like Florida or something if I would've gotten the same opinion from him. Plain and simply, I think he came to this opinion because like a lot of non Leaf fans he just hates the team and has enjoyed their mediocrity for so many years.

Anybody else getting these kind of opinions from their Leaf Hater friends ? Do they Accept that this team is now a true contender ? Or are they in Denial ?

Last edited:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
If people did not get it last year when we gave the Caps hell they will probably live in denial until we win a Cup. I wonder how quiet HF will become when we win a cup?

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
The remarks of some of the posters on this site, one would think a lot of the players we have are usless and we are lucky to be at present 1st over all according to some, every play whether warranted or not, someone was either out of position, can't shoot the puck is bad on backchecking or whatever and we should move half the players on the team.

My personal friends that are Leaf fans, believe we can go all the way and win the cup, baring injuries and I agree.

GoLeafsGo_1024x768.jpg

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Lol my buddies are grudgingly coming around. They fully admit the Leafs are an exciting team to watch though!

I'm getting pretty cocky though so it's hard for them to admit our greatness. For example I just posted the article about Leafs being Vegas' odds favourite for the cup this year.....asking for ideas on a parade route here in Halifax!

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
I suspect that even if we were to win a cup, some would claim it was because of the refs, or that we cheated in some other way. If people want to be closed-minded, I don't have the time or patience to try and open it.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Got a "can see them making playoffs", replied with "can see them winning the division with a whiff of the cup"

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Most have. Except one. Soooo salty.

I mean he knows the team is elite, but he can’t stand it

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I don't know, but it's going to be a very quiet season for TWS if he only ever pops up after Leafs losses. Poor guy has only posted a bunch after the NJ game.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Wait for when your friend who has been a professed Penguins or Blackhawks fan suddenly switches to being a diehard Leafs' fan. They're coming.
I already have buddies like this. Big Sid and Penguins fans but continue to gush over AM.

We got a taste of this during the 2013 playoffs, my whole FB newsfeed and twitter were full of people talking about the series. Starting to see people magically becoming Leaf fans.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Who cares what a Habs fan think. They are in an identity crisis given that they are set up to contend but are just awful and basically have no decent prospects.

For the purposes of this thread, I politely point out all our offensive stars and then ask how any team could survive playing against three number 1/2 lines during a playoff series. For example, how in the world are teams going to contain Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Kadri, JVR, Bozak, Brown, and Marleau? That's 2 franchise players (Matthews and Nylander), 3 legit first liners (Kadri, JVR, and Marner) and 3 solid second liners (Brown, Marleau, and Bozak). And to think our fourth line could consist of Leivo (or Kapanen) and Marner. Yeah, how could anyone not see that as a legit contender?

Reactions: EN4CER

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Leaf Haters are a special breed of sports hate, the ones I know will never accept this is a good team, ever.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
My father is a Habs fan and so are my uncles so I've been hearing about the Leafs sucking for years and years, and that's just within my family nevermind friends and coworkers who are Montreal and Boston fans.

Most of them have admitted to me, starting with our playoff appearance last season, that we're looking like a really good team. After we beat the Habs on the weekend I got a text from my dad saying we were lucky to have "a franchise player in Matthews" and we were going to be really good this year.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
If people did not get it last year when we gave the Caps hell they will probably live in denial until we win a Cup. I wonder how quiet HF will become when we win a cup?

This. I don't care what other fans think. Some bring up how good leafs are and that's cool but most just make up excuses and say nothing matters but a cup. I kinda see their point. I don't feed them any ammo or argue too much unless they are really arrogant. All fan bases have those types of fans.

Sittler 27

Best fans Anywhere
Jun 12, 2010
Have family in Boston that are Bruins fans and don't like the Leafs but consider them fun to watch, also my cousins husband is a die hard Habs fan who also loves watching them, calls them the young Oilers of the Gretzky era

]

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Quiet? You must be joking. If (and when) the Leafs win the cup HF will be full of conspiracy theorists claiming the NHL gave the Leafs the cup or that the Leafs lucked out but are really a flawed team that should not have even made the playoffs or some other rubbish like that. I am looking forward to it when it does happen.

Reactions: DatSnipeMatthews

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
I don't know, but it's going to be a very quiet season for TWS if he only ever pops up after Leafs losses. Poor guy has only posted a bunch after the NJ game.

The guy needs to see a psychologist. It's obvious that he's directing his own personal problems towards the Leafs. It's downright sad how much he dislikes the Leafs.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Quiet? You must be joking. If (and when) the Leafs win the cup HF will be full of conspiracy theorists claiming the NHL gave the Leafs the cup or that the Leafs lucked out but are really a flawed team that should not have even made the playoffs or some other rubbish like that. I am looking forward to it when it does happen.

I just have visons of Oiler fans smashing their computers/phones while raging and crying.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Imagine if the Winnipeg jets were doing what the leafs are doing right now.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
The only friend who is skeptical is a Leafs fan, strangely (but he has suspect hockey opinions). Any knowledgeable fan knows they're legit.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Doesn't matter to me - I don't know what's the purpose of these threads, this is the 2nd thread of more or less the same nature

I usually ignore them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad