markh100

Aug 11, 2005
Toronto
#1. Nazem Kadri
#2. James van Riemsdyk
#3. Morgan Rielly
#4. Joffrey Lupul
#5. Jake Gardiner

I'd consider including Phil Kessel, James Reimer or Dion Phaneuf. Kessel has some holes in his game, and may well not be a long-term member of this organization. Reimer is the best goalie we've had since the lockout (I suppose I can't call it the lockount anymore), but he hasn't shown enough to prove that he will be a longterm top ten goalie in this league. I like a lot of what Phaneuf brings to the team, but he plays way too many minutes, and often appears to be clumsy or lackadaisical when hemmed into the defensive zone in the third period. People applaud the fact that he logs so many minutes, but I feel that he would be much more effective playing 21 minutes a game, instead of 26.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
In 2010:

It's basically Kadri, Schenn, Kessel and Phaneuf. But even then, to make this work, we need about 2 guys who are better than Kessel and Phaneuf to add to the core to even hope to be a real contender some day.

Now it's

Kadri
Kessel
Gardiner
Rielly
JVR/Lupul equal

Kb21

Dec 27, 2011
Toronto
Kadri
Frattin
Rielly
Percy
Biggs

Basically I'm more high on the kids then most of our current roster. I could easily see nonis ship out kessel and gards so I left them off.

Mindrust

Feb 28, 2013
In no order:

Lupul
Kadri
Gardiner
Reilly
JVR

Frattin would be my 6th. He's shown long streaks of brilliance.

Phaneuffan3

Beleafer
Aug 22, 2011
The HC - Ontario
1. Phil Kessel (Leading scorer, top goal scorer, dynamic wingers are hard to find)
2. Dion Phaneuf (Our captain, most physical player, and best defenseman. No brainer)
3. Nazem Kadri (Hometown boy, high draft pick who spent lots of time in our development system. He is just too filthy and has chemistry with everyone)
4. Jake Gardiner (Dynamic, smart PMD. Will be a great #3 for years to come. The kind of guy who can carry the 2nd pairing alongside a steady two-way defenseman)
5. JVR (Young, rangy forward with massive upside)

HM: Joffrey Lupul
Darkhorse: Jay McClement (He's a guy who willingly took a hometown discount. He's the best defensive player we've had in years. He doesn't make mistakes and is just too fantastic for his cap hit, will and determination. Might just be the best PKer leaguewide.)
Prospect: Morgan Rielly (He hasn't cracked the NHL squad yet but he was just drafted. Therefore he isn't yet a part of our core.. But he is a huge part of our future)

This.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Kadri
Rielly
Gardiner
Phaneuf
Kessel

HM: JvR and Lupul.

I think that Phaneuf and Kessel could turn into trade bait very quickly though..

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I think five is a limited number given the players on our roster.

Assuming that our pending UFAs/RFAs are willing to re-sign reasonable contract extensions, I would try to add a few core pieces (#1 centre, #1 defenceman, #1 goalie) and some complimentary pieces to the following nucleus moving forward:

Forwards:

Kadri
Lupul
Kessel
Van Reimsdyk
Frattin
McClement
Komarov

Defence:

Phaneuf
Gunnarsson
Franson
Gardiner
Reilly

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
1. Dion Phaneuf - Needs to keep his team in check. He also needs to continue to provide steady defending against other teams top lines. If he can provide both then he'll certainly be one of the main reasons this team makes the playoffs.

2. Phil Kessel - They need him to continue to score around the PPG mark to balance out the offensive units. If Phil is clicking then he seems to carry his line and spread the ice out for the likes of Bozak and JVR/Lupul. It'll take the pressure off of Nazem Kadri's line and put Nazem out against more favourable opposition.

3. Nazem Kadri - Directly reflecting from Phil Kessels points, if Kadri can provide his steady offensive production then we will be in the "pick your poising" position. Playing him directly after a shift of the Kessel line would certainly continue pressure against the opposing team.

4. Dion Phaneufs Defensive Partner - Who will it be? Gunnarsson? Holzer? Morris? Whoever it is, will have to provide Dion with the confidence that allows Dion to play his game. This will be a crucial position for the Leafs in order to get the best play out of their captain, and they'll have to tighten this spot up at some point.

5. Reimer/Scrivens - Simply put, we need better goaltending. It seems as if this is the tandem we are going to be using going forward since the trade market isn't exactly flooded with potential targets, so we'll need the best out of what we have. I dont care who it is moving forward, or if we platoon the two, but we need solid play and the trust of our team infront of them to see wins placed across the board.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
From the current roster.

Kessel
JVR
Lupul
Frattin
Kadri

Phaneuf

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Kadri
Kessel
Lupul
Phaneuf
Rielly

It really really pains me to leave JVR, Reimer and Gardiner off the list, because they're part of our long term plans IMO, but right now I have to say those 5.

Khobahi

Feb 13, 2013
Canada
Kadri
Kessel
Lupul / Phaneuf (i think if dion gets shipped out Lupul will be the next Captain)
Reimer
Gard/Rielly (although keeping both would be awesome i have the feeling only one of them will be our core with the other traded for #1 Center)

Id love to add JVR and McClement (Beast Defensively) but with a 5 person list i already had trouble keeping it down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad