Your Five Key Players Going Forward

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
This is the third time I have done this. Pick 5 players on the team or within the organization you would go forward with. Yes anyone can be expendable, but if you had to pick five to start, who would they be.

In Nov. 2010 I said

Kessel
Phaneuf
Kadri
Schenn
Gustavsson

In. Oct. 2011 I said

Kessel
Kulemin
Phaneuf
Gardiner
Reimer

Today I say

Kessel*
Kadri
JVR
Gardiner
Rielly

The * is on Kessel cause for the first time out of the three, I can't really pick 5 (which is funny cause we are better/have a better prospect pool than those last two years). Kessel could go either way. I am ready to see an extension for him (for a reasonable price) but wouldn't mind seeing him dealt at all (for a reasonable price).

I tried thinking who would replace him. Looking at my old lists, (funny how Kadri escaped, then came back), I'm really done with Phaneuf (that is a whole other thread on its own). Kulemin is no longer someone you build around, but rather a good piece to add. Reimer has not shown he is an elite goaltender, but I still have some faith in him.

Lupul? I pondered him, but I need to see him healthy and either put up numbers with Kadri or a re-signed Kessel. If none of those factors happen, I fear he could possibly be a burden in a few years...Frattin? I like him a lot but not quite that much. Franson? I need to see more. Finn, Percy, Biggs? Far too soon, not blue chip enough.

Kinda tough to find the fifth, so Kessel* it is.

Who are yours?

Blast from the past

Nov. 2010
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=838351&highlight=

Oct. 2011
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1014239&highlight=

mikebel111*

I agree, mine are the same
But Lupul is also key going forward

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
To me the most important piece is the goalie, 2nd is a top defensive stud, 3rd is a top flight centre, 4th a elite sniper 5th is a checking centre

1 xxxxxx (dont have one)
2. Phaneuf
3. Kadri
4. Kessel
5. xxxxx (dont have one)

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'll quote myself from that 2011 thread:

Reimer
Phaneuf
Gardiner
Kessel

Right now we have 4 guys I'd build around.

One more stud forward would be a big boost. We have two prospects that might be able to become that in Kadri and Colborne, but might not.

I'm happy to say that Kadri has indeed become that stud forward, so I'd add him to my five.

Of course, now I have to find room for Lupul and Rielly, two guys who have burst onto the scene since that last thread.....but I wouldn't kick any of the other guys out.

So while last year at this time we had 4 guys who looked like building block type players, now IMO we have 7 building block players.

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel

Phaneuf - Gardiner
Rielly

Reimer

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
1. Kadri
2. Lupul
3. JVR
4. Gardiner
5. Phaneuf

IMO depending on how the rest of this season goes, if the Leafs miss the playoffs there will be big question marks surrounding Kessel resigning .. I only exclude him because of his current contract status

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
1. Phil Kessel (Leading scorer, top goal scorer, dynamic wingers are hard to find)
2. Dion Phaneuf (Our captain, most physical player, and best defenseman. No brainer)
3. Nazem Kadri (Hometown boy, high draft pick who spent lots of time in our development system. He is just too filthy and has chemistry with everyone)
4. Jake Gardiner (Dynamic, smart PMD. Will be a great #3 for years to come. The kind of guy who can carry the 2nd pairing alongside a steady two-way defenseman)
5. JVR (Young, rangy forward with massive upside)

HM: Joffrey Lupul
Darkhorse: Jay McClement (He's a guy who willingly took a hometown discount. He's the best defensive player we've had in years. He doesn't make mistakes and is just too fantastic for his cap hit, will and determination. Might just be the best PKer leaguewide.)
Prospect: Morgan Rielly (He hasn't cracked the NHL squad yet but he was just drafted. Therefore he isn't yet a part of our core.. But he is a huge part of our future)

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
There is more then 5... Reimer, Phaneuf, Gardiner, Rielly, Kessel, Kadri, JVR... I would say Lupul Mcclement, Fraser, Franson and Bozak are pretty close to untouchable right now.. Bozak only because hes a huge part of our team and everyone loves him, i know hes gonna get replaced but hes still great as a 3rd line center. Franson and Fraser are great for us right now, it would take a lot to move Fraser in my opinion hes been great for us defensively. Mcclement is the main reason are PK is so good and Franson has been our top offensive d man with steady defense. But really the only pure untouchables would be Gardiner Rielly Kadri JVR and Kessel.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Shame on people who don't have Kessel in their list.

It was close for me, But he only has one year left on his deal, And really we've have no idea what is going to happen.

There's pressure point coming before July 1st where his NTC kicks in; So his situation over the summer will interesting.

I like him quite a bit, There are very few people who can score goals like him, But he can walk for nothing in 15 months.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad