Your favourite Senators acquisition

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
haha I always said that I modeled my game after Hasek since I was terrible and have no form whatsoever.

Made me feel a little better ;)

Looooooool, I actually had a coach who taught me some moves of his cause I was flexible. Unfortunately... not flexible enough.

By far the Comrie deal in 2007 -- coincided with the dramatic turnaround we had that year, got rid of what I thought was a mistake of a pick (K-dog) and filled a huge gap. Was by far the most excited I was for a Senators trade.

For some reason I thought Hasek was over the hill when we got him, so was less excited by his acquisition.

I also was crazy when we got Comrie. Especially his first game when he got 2 assists, pretty sure same game Heatley got that crazy hattrick.

It was a beautiful day.

Courty

Apr 13, 2007
There's a difference between "favorite acquisition" and what turned out to be the most valuable acquisition for the team.

Favorite: Hasek no doubt. That season was the first time I legitimately thought we would win the cup, we were SO good on paper it was crazy. I almost cried when he got injured during the olympics.

Most valuable acquisition for the team: Between Chara/Spezza pick and Redden. Heatley comes in third. All three were valuable for obvious reasons.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I think my most favorite acquisition that I did not know the full details of at the time of the trade was the Heatley trade.

I remember I was living in Vancouver at the time, and I was at work when it happened: I heard that the Sens had traded for Heatley, and I was OVER THE FREAKING MOON, but because of the fact that I was at work, and local radio was Canucks-centric, and no one I worked with were Sens fans, I didn't know what we had sent Atlanta... so I spent the whole day SUPER EXCITED ABOUT Heatley, and imagining a line with Heatley and Hossa on it (Hossa being my favorite Senator at the time), and just how ridiculous the Sens were going to be the following year.... and when I got home, my wife (who knew I was a massive Hossa fan) had made me a special dinner as an "I know what happened, I'm sorry" gesture to ease the blow of finding out we'd traded Hossa away.

I was gutted about Hossa, but I'd spent the entire day on a "Heatley-High", so it was a weird whirlwind of emotions.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I think my most favorite acquisition that I did not know the full details of at the time of the trade was the Heatley trade.

I remember I was living in Vancouver at the time, and I was at work when it happened: I heard that the Sens had traded for Heatley, and I was OVER THE FREAKING MOON, but because of the fact that I was at work, and local radio was Canucks-centric, and no one I worked with were Sens fans, I didn't know what we had sent Atlanta... so I spent the whole day SUPER EXCITED ABOUT Heatley, and imagining a line with Heatley and Hossa on it (Hossa being my favorite Senator at the time), and just how ridiculous the Sens were going to be the following year.... and when I got home, my wife (who knew I was a massive Hossa fan) had made me a special dinner as an "I know what happened, I'm sorry" gesture to ease the blow of finding out we'd traded Hossa away.

I was gutted about Hossa, but I'd spent the entire day on a "Heatley-High", so it was a weird whirlwind of emotions.

I can relate man... :(

Although I never had the Heatley high. I loved Hossa so much. He was huge reason I became Sens fan, alongside Alfie but that was solidified later on. Hossa was the greatest player ever as far as I was concerned.

When we got Heatley my smile turned to tears in a milli second when I read the return...

Heatley ironically became my fav player and gave me unbelievable memories too but Hossa... :(

jdhebner

Feb 24, 2003
I ain't cousin Basil
Visit site
I enver understood why the Sens let Prospal walk. THey didn't even try to keep him, and back then he wasn't exactly commanding top dollar.

Add Prospal to some of the Senators teams in the early 2000s and their center depth is a whole lot better, guy could even fill in on the wing.

I can answer this to a degree, but it's complicated. J. Martin (the coach) liked Prospal as a person, but not much as a hockey player. Some members of the media appeared to hold Prospal and Bonk to different standards than all the other players, and some members of the press appeared to feel that Yashin could do no wrong. Prospal spoke quite candidly to the press (he said something like "Don't come back Alexei") after Alexei Yashin held out for an entire year and the Senators had to go to court with Yashin, the court decided that Yashin must return to playing. The Senators and some members of the press welcomed Yashin back with open arms (In my opinion the team should have traded Yashin immediately; Yashin's blowing off of the end of the year team meeting seems to support this). Prospal lost playing time and confidence--he went 31 games without a goal, and asked to be traded.

Hope this helps.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
What the heck is the poll results all about?

It's easily Spezza(2nd OV) and Chara for Yashin. How can it not be? Even with the 2nd OV alone I knew we were getting a heck of a player - and I recall being quite intrigued by Chara.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

It's easily Spezza(2nd OV) and Chara for Yashin. How can it not be? Even with the 2nd OV alone I knew we were getting a heck of a player - and I recall being quite intrigued by Chara.

Well. it's not always a hockey or on-ice thing.

Sure, there were a lot of trades for this team that gave them immediate improvements on paper or on the ice, but it's also a ton of fun seeing guys you've followed on other teams or guys how hold some sort of intrigue suddenly wear your team's sweater.

Heck, I was waiting for years for the Phillippe Boucher rumours to come true. I followed that kid from his rookie year at Granby to his final season with Pittsburgh. Seems the rumor of him coming here was ongoing form his rookie days with Buffalo, all the way to his Dallas Stars days. Now that was a hell of a lot of waiting for nothing. :laugh:

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa

I have a feeling that is the divide between the old and the new Sens fans. Many people here won't remember that trade.

Jakub

Resu Deretsiger
Jun 26, 2013
Moonbeam, Ontario
Although the Hasek trade was really exciting, I knew he was old and the spectre of a serious injury loomed in my mind from day one. Never liked getting rid of Hossa, especially considering what he has gone on to do...

For me it was Turris for the same reason one of the guys back there loved the Ryan trade. I was SUPER stoked at the thought of Tarasenko being the projected 16th pick, right where the sens were, and even more stoked when on draft day he was still available going into the commercial break after the 15th pick. I looked over at my friend during the break and said "Well hopefully Murray doesnt do anything stupid like, say, trade this pick" and we both laughed it off. Low-and-behold, look what he did... And for Rundblad, who I knew nothing about, and was never really excited about despite his obvious upside and comparisons to Karlssons game.

When I heard he was out for Turris, who I'd had in every NHL video game I'd ever played and he was always my best player, I knew he was going to catch fire being anywhere but the desert. And Im loving the trade more and more every year xD

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I can answer this to a degree, but it's complicated. J. Martin (the coach) liked Prospal as a person, but not much as a hockey player. Some members of the media appeared to hold Prospal and Bonk to different standards than all the other players, and some members of the press appeared to feel that Yashin could do no wrong. Prospal spoke quite candidly to the press (he said something like "Don't come back Alexei") after Alexei Yashin held out for an entire year and the Senators had to go to court with Yashin, the court decided that Yashin must return to playing. The Senators and some members of the press welcomed Yashin back with open arms (In my opinion the team should have traded Yashin immediately; Yashin's blowing off of the end of the year team meeting seems to support this). Prospal lost playing time and confidence--he went 31 games without a goal, and asked to be traded.

Hope this helps.

If I knew those details at one point, i lost them a long time ago :) Thanks for the info! Was always a fan of Prospal.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
In terms of excitement at the time, I'd have to go with Heatley probably.

He was a guy that I'd had my eye on since he came into the league and never thought he'd end up in Ottawa given his franchise-player start to his career.

I was disappointed about Hossa, but I also felt that we were overloaded at RW and getting a guy who could play both wings would work out.

In retrospect, probably the Yashin deal.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
I understand that Heatley is not very liked anymore but there was a lot of anticipation and excitement around the city when we learned he just got traded here.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I guess in the new era it would be Ryan for me, but I stand by the Yashin trade as being my most excited moment about an acquisition.

I was pretty damn excited about Gonchar being signed too.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Forgot about the Comrie deal. Was pretty excited when it happened, though I wouldn't place it at the top of my list.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I was so eager to watch Barrasso play, his first game with us was I believe a late night CBC game vs Vancouver.

Courty

Apr 13, 2007

The poll asked for your favorite acquisition, not the best or most valuable. Favoritism is pure emotion and personal preference, so ofcourse it will vary for each fan based on their favorite hockey players and age.

Personally, apart from Patrick Roy, Hasek was my favorite goalie to watch while I was growing up, I looked up to him as a goalie myself during his Buffalo days. I can't remember being more exciting about a player coming to this team, and the fact that we were finally getting an elite goalie that was the missing piece to our cup quest made me beyond excited at the time.

Ofcourse, in hindsight the Hasek acquisition did not serve us justice, however that still doesn't change the way I felt when it happened. Looking back I agree with you that the Spezza/Chara trade was one of the most important things to happened to this team.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON

Hope this helps.

Wow. A question about Prospal comes up, and this guy with a Prospal avatar who is basically a wikipedia page of knowledge for Vinny Prospal comes out of the woodwork. Amazing.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
This thread has just made me incredibly sad.

p-848909-dominik-hasek-8x10-photo-ottawa-senators-image-1-aw3-89874.jpg

He signs here. First a lockout, then the Olympics. This ****ing franchise can't get a single break.

Whoa whoa...

So I just read this on wiki. Was I too young to remember this? Someone please tell me that not everything I read on the Internet is true...

Hašek's injury caused him to miss the rest of the regular season and post-season, despite several rumours that he would return in time for the playoffs. He said that if he were to be re-signed, he would play for a base salary of $500,000 with bonuses.[38] After the Senators were eliminated in the second round, they opted not to re-sign Hašek, despite Hašek's willingness to take a pay cut.

Was it all aboard the Emery train or something?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad