Your favourite Senators acquisition

source

Jul 13, 2008
Who is your favourite Senators acquisition, judged from the time when the player was acquired? I've decided not to include draft choices.

Duchesne
Redden/Rhodes
McEachern
Kravchuk
Lalime
Barasso
Sillinger
Chara/2nd overall pick
Smolinski
Bondra
Hasek
Heatley
Corvo
Comrie
Stillman/Commodore
Kovalev
Gonchar
Turris
Methot
Ryan

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Who is your favourite Senators acquisition, judged from the time when the player was acquired? I've decided not to include draft choices.

Duchesne
Redden/Rhodes
McEachern
Kravchuk
Lalime
Barasso
Sillinger
Chara/2nd overall pick
Smolinski
Bondra
Hasek
Heatley
Corvo
Comrie
Stillman/Commodore
Kovalev
Gonchar
Turris
Methot
Ryan

Obviously the Chara/Spezza trade, the Hasek signing, the Ryan and Turris trades etc were all exciting, but for whatever reason I remember being most excited about the Bondra trade at the time. I remember he scored on a breakaway goal in his first game and the crowd was going crazy. Obviously in the end, that one didn't oan out. Also loved Comrie.

I HATED the Barrasso deal from the second it was made.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I remember going crazy when I heard Heatley was coming here for Hossa. Me and 3 friends were golfing and I remember us all pretty happy when we got word.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I remember being very excited about Hasek. I'll go with Bondra here though.

Bondra is up there too. That was the first time the Sens went out and brought in a legit star as a rental. It's too bad how it all ended.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Bondra is up there too. That was the first time the Sens went out and brought in a legit star as a rental. It's too bad how it all ended.

After the way the 2003 season ended, I figured that bringing in a Hall of Fame scorer for 2004 could put us over the top.

Fast-forward a couple of years, and we add Heatley and Hasek. 2004-2006 was a huge disappointment for this team, but it's not like other franchises haven't failed epically in the past (see: 2004 Avalanche).

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
The trade for Ryan brought me out of a state of despair. It may not be my favourite acquisition in Sens history on it's own merit, but considering Alfie left just hours before, it wins this poll.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
After the way the 2003 season ended, I figured that bringing in a Hall of Fame scorer for 2004 could put us over the top.

Fast-forward a couple of years, and we add Heatley and Hasek. 2004-2006 was a huge disappointment for this team, but it's not like other franchises haven't failed epically in the past (see: 2004 Avalanche).

I think a lot of us were thinking the same thing! If I remember, Bondra scored in his first game with the Senators. The crowd was chanting his name . . . then he vanished.

I was a bit surprised they didn't offer to re-sign him, but I guess he felt he was done.

RingoCalamity

Oct 25, 2006
Maybe this has been pointed out, I haven't read the whole thread. It's interesting to me that so many of the major players for the Sens now were not drafted by the team. Turris, Ryan, MacArthur, Methot, Anderson, all the way down the line to Michalek and Conacher, all from trades or free agency. Different from what this team used to be.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I was stoked about the Ryan trade like no other, so I voted for it in the poll. But bringing Andy in actually had the most impact on the franchise IMO. We were going nowhere fast, and he gave us steady goaltending through the early rebuild phase and helped the team punch above its weight.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Hasek for sure. As much as I was stoked about drafting Spezza (and that tall D that was also thrown in), acquiring Hasek to me was just the best thing ever. Our little team had finally acquired a bonafide superstar, and we were gonna win it all, baby.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I was stoked about the Ryan trade like no other, so I voted for it in the poll. But bringing Andy in actually had the most impact on the franchise IMO. We were going nowhere fast, and he gave us steady goaltending through the early rebuild phase and helped the team punch above its weight.

Heatley had a bigger impact IMO. He completed most terrifying scoring line in the league. Andy has provided stability for the franchise in the last couple of years, sure, but as for impact on the franchise, not absolutely huge. He's going to be moved out eventually and has only ever been seen as a long term placeholder.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Heatley had a bigger impact IMO. He completed most terrifying scoring line in the league. Andy has provided stability for the franchise in the last couple of years, sure, but as for impact on the franchise, not absolutely huge. He's going to be moved out eventually and has only ever been seen as a long term placeholder.

I don't disagree or minimize Heater's impact. There are a few reasons why I think he is a step down from pond sludge though, so I don't tend to acknowledge him much. That is my personal bias, and I absolutely acknowledge and own it.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Was actually really happy when we acquired Heatley. A left handed shot that could unload one timers like that was the perfect partner for Spezza and we haven't been able to replace him since.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Voted Chara 15th overall should have been an option

edit: didn't read the OP Hasek for me

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad