Your favourite Senators acquisition

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Obviously the Chara/Spezza trade, the Hasek signing, the Ryan and Turris trades etc were all exciting, but for whatever reason I remember being most excited about the Bondra trade at the time. I remember he scored on a breakaway goal in his first game and the crowd was going crazy. Obviously in the end, that one didn't oan out. Also loved Comrie.

I HATED the Barrasso deal from the second it was made.

Yeah that ticked me off too, TUgnutt was one of the big reasons I became a sens fan! I followed him from his days with the Oilers and it was great to see him take the Senators to the playoffs for the first time.

That trade backfired big time . .. im pretty sure after Ottawa was eliminated Tugnutt played a triple or quadruple overtime game with the Pens in the second round.

source

Jul 13, 2008
I was stoked about the Ryan trade like no other, so I voted for it in the poll. But bringing Andy in actually had the most impact on the franchise IMO. We were going nowhere fast, and he gave us steady goaltending through the early rebuild phase and helped the team punch above its weight.

At the time I was just happy that Elliott got moved, and trading for Anderson was like trading for a shot in the dark. He had had those great games against the Sharks in the previous playoffs, but had let in bad goals in streaks for the Avs like has been doing this season for Ottawa.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Anderson was one of those trades where when it happened I was glad Elliott was gone, but I wasn't too happy about upgrading too, too much at that time b/c I had visions of a #1 pick dancing in my head... I enjoyed the shutout of Toronto in the debut but watching the Sens climb out of the cellar... well it made me a wee bit sad. I remember watching the draft and when Landeskog (sp?) was taken I immediately cursed Andy's name.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Anderson was one of those trades where when it happened I was glad Elliott was gone, but I wasn't too happy about upgrading too, too much at that time b/c I had visions of a #1 pick dancing in my head... I enjoyed the shutout of Toronto in the debut but watching the Sens climb out of the cellar... well it made me a wee bit sad. I remember watching the draft and when Landeskog (sp?) was taken I immediately cursed Andy's name.

All true. I do think, though, that at the time we really needed a true #1 goalie more than a forward. I do remember cursing Clownston for riding Andy to the wire to try to pick up extra wins in some sort of misguided attempt to save his job.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
This poll needs more Prospal.

I enver understood why the Sens let Prospal walk. THey didn't even try to keep him, and back then he wasn't exactly commanding top dollar.

Add Prospal to some of the Senators teams in the early 2000s and their center depth is a whole lot better, guy could even fill in on the wing.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
I seem to be the only one (so far) that likes the Methot deal best.

I wasn't too happy with that deal. Big Foligno fan at the time and felt like he was exactly what the team needed in the bottom six for the next ten yrs. Liked Methot from watching him in the WC, but didn't think we needed him as much as we needed Foligno.

But I got over it. :)

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
I was a secret Caps fan. When we got Bondra I was ecstatic. Then...not so much.

Man, they had no idea what to do with him. We get this great sniper and basically play left-wing lock and handcuff him entirely. I was so pissed at Martin for that.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
The 2nd overall pick was my fav. At the time, not much thought on Chara, but I knew for sure we were going to get one of Spezza or Kovalchuk. At the time I wanted Kovy, but glad we got Spezza instead in the end.

Jan 9, 2011
Victoria, BC
I voted turris for obvious reasons. But I honestly was most excited about the Nikita Filatov trade more than anything. It still haunts me everyday. I really wished he worked out

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Chara/Pick-That-Became-Spezza should be the runaway winner. We dumped Yashin, AND for 4x value in return?

No contest. That day was possibly one of my favorite days being a Sens fan, ever.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
Chara/Pick-That-Became-Spezza should be the runaway winner. We dumped Yashin, AND for 4x value in return?

No contest. That day was possibly one of my favorite days being a Sens fan, ever.

But at the time did u really feel that way?

I agree with above when I heard we got Filatov for a 3rd, i jumped out of my chair.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Bro, Hasek was my child-hood idol. I spent hours on hours on hours trying to copy his technique and style of play.

When I heard we got him. I nearly fainted.

haha I always said that I modeled my game after Hasek since I was terrible and have no form whatsoever.

Made me feel a little better ;)

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
I was sitting in bed with an extremely attractive woman. We had just done the nasty and were now doing what all stupid university kids do in that situation...play around on our laptops instead of talking to each other. This is when I found out we signed Kovalev. He is thus my favorite. Fin

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Yeah Chara/Spezza has to be it.

That being said it's exciting we've gotten a player with the star calibre of Ryan during the most recent offseason.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

ABSOLUTELY.

Hated Yashin (despite respecting his talent), and we got a 2nd overall for him and Chara, who at the time wasn't nearly as heralded as he would go on to become, but was considered a tough-as-nails defenceman with a penchant for hitting and not taking crap from opposing players, which is exactly what we needed at that time - our blueline the previous year was Redden/Rachunek/Salo/Phillips/York/Persson, we lacked ANY kind of muscle / strength in our own end. There was constant complaints about our defence being too easy to play against, that we never fought back... A LOT of people saw Chara as the answer to that... little did we know how well his game would turn out...

Plus, like it has already been mentioned here before, that 2nd overall pick meant we were guaranteed one of Kovalchuk or Spezza. I felt like we burglarized Milbury, and that was even before Chara turned into an All Star.

Ralph Malfredsson

PhD in indiscreet street haggling
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2008
By far the Comrie deal in 2007 -- coincided with the dramatic turnaround we had that year, got rid of what I thought was a mistake of a pick (K-dog) and filled a huge gap. Was by far the most excited I was for a Senators trade.

For some reason I thought Hasek was over the hill when we got him, so was less excited by his acquisition.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

I was just glad to be rid of Yashin. He was public enemy number one at the time and I wasn't as 'serious' a fan so it was kinda of like "He's gone! Yay!" as opposed to me caring at all about what we got back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad