your expectations for this team this coming year+

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I'm expecting Big 3 Sophmore regression, hoping we squeak into the playoffs. Once we're in, anything can happen :yo:

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Hey guys, NYR fan here. Was curious as to what the plan is for Josh Leivo this season. I read he was consistently a healthy scratch last season despite putting up good numbers and getting some PP minutes. Lamoriello protected him in the expansion draft which leads me to believe the front office intends on him being a part of the future.

Will he get an opportunity to play consistently this year? If so, what do you feel would be reasonable to expect in terms of points?

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Hey guys, NYR fan here. Was curious as to what the plan is for Josh Leivo this season. I read he was consistently a healthy scratch last season despite putting up good numbers and getting some PP minutes. Lamoriello protected him in the expansion draft which leads me to believe the front office intends on him being a part of the future.

Will he get an opportunity to play consistently this year? If so, what do you feel would be reasonable to expect in terms of points?

Honestly I don't see him playing much unless there are injuries or a Komarov/JVR trade.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

If no roster forward is traded he's either the 13th forward or traded for a pick

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
If playoffs are a foregone conclusion by the TDL - 100+ point pace... Is Lou a buyer? Or do they just rent their own UFAs?

That is an interesting question that I have pondered as well.

I wonder if what we did at last season's deadline is any indication. We didn't subtract from the roster but added Boyle. Seems like if we wanted the best return for an asset like JVR, the time to move him would have been then.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If playoffs are a foregone conclusion by the TDL - 100+ point pace... Is Lou a buyer? Or do they just rent their own UFAs?

Absolutely, I think the Marleau signing should tell you they are taking a run at it, you don't sign Marleau if you aren't.

If they are where I expect them to be come deadline time they will be in buyer mode no doubt.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Absolutely, I think the Marleau signing should tell you they are taking a run at it, you don't sign Marleau if you aren't.

If they are where I expect them to be come deadline time they will be in buyer mode no doubt.

Though they'll need capspace to be a buyer, so they'll need to move out some salary.

HoBOonFiRE

Nov 8, 2009
Oshawa
I expect an improvement with the team (home ice in the 1st round, possibly compete for the division) Could win a round or two in the playoffs.

Last year the leafs were an incredibly healthy team, if they were to lose Andersen for an extended period this season they could very well miss the playoffs. But, in saying that the leafs also blew a ton of leads and squandered a lot of points last year..also not likely to lose the majority of their shootouts.

Definitely the most excited I've ever been for a leafs season. :yo: Is it October yet?!?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Leafs were fortunate last year that they had few injuries. Still I expect growth from some of their young players. Early in the year they gave away points, giving up leads. Gotta think with more experience together, that problem is resolved. Can't believe how poorly the Leafs were in the shootouts last year, again thinking they should be at least .500 in that department this year.

My prediction. In the Atlantic they finish 2nd behind Tampa. But it's a logjam and if thing turn agains the Leafs they could finish out of the playoffs also.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

The two guys likely on the bubble are Leivo and Kapanen. Both are good enough to play in the NHL right now, but there is no room for them because Babcock thinks it's better to use Martin and Hyman instead.

Since Kapanen doesn't need to clear waivers, I think he'll start on the Marlies and Leivo will be our 13th forward.

If there is a trade or an injury, I think Leivo will be put in the line up (and once he's in there, they may not be able to take him out if he's playing well enough).

In terms of how many points he puts up... I think that largely depends on where he plays in the lineup. If he's on a 4th line with Martin and Moore... I doubt he'll be able to put up too many points. If he's playing with Matthews (or basically anywhere in the top 9) he could put up a lot of points. If JVR is traded and Leivo takes his spot on a 2nd line with Bozak and Marner... I don't think that 30 goals is out of the question at all seeing as he would be the trigger man and Marner is crazy good.

So maybe he sits on the bench all year... maybe he gets a spot on a real line and scores a lot of goals and gets a lot of points. Before we got Marleau, a lot of people (myself included) wanted Leivo on that top line instead of Hyman.

I think everyone in the organization realizes that Leivo has value. But at his point, there is no room in the lineup for him... so by keeping him on the bench, we keep his salary cheap and gives us a really good option in case of an injury.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
100 points should be our goal for the regular season. If we take Babcock's goal of 6 points every 5 games from last season and pick up an extra 2 points that adds up to 100, so it is not an unreasonable goal.

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
My hope is to at least win a playoff round. I am not sure what to expect though. It wouldn't surprise me if Tampa will win the division and the Leafs finish between 2nd and 5th.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Our guys are mentally solid, there won't be any regression from the big 3 this year. I see matthews going 40-35, marner about 75 points, and I think willy is really going to have a huge season for us. This regression thing is such crap, these guys haven't regressed at any level ever, and they are suddenly going to just fall off the cliff right now? lunacy.

Team defense, and offence has improved, all while the kids have gained experience. The leafs are going to absolutely contend for the division banner this year, no doubt about it.

Also what is all this buffalo pumping about? That team sucks. They have players, but not a team. It is just totally fragmented from what I can see. Not worried about them at all.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
It's hard to say. I think they will make the playoffs again in 2018 but it will be a very tough fight to do so. Last season they started to falter near the end of the regular season (losing 3 of their last 4 regular season games all in regulation) and they had to rely on teams such as Tampa and the Islanders just having off years and they only barely made it in. I see Tampa as a likely division winner with the Leafs battling the Canadiens, Senators and Buffalo for those last two division spots. It will be very tough.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It's hard to say. I think they will make the playoffs again in 2018 but it will be a very tough fight to do so. Last season they started to falter near the end of the regular season (losing 3 of their last 4 regular season games all in regulation) and they had to rely on teams such as Tampa and the Islanders just having off years and they only barely made it in. I see Tampa as a likely division winner with the Leafs battling the Canadiens, Senators and Buffalo for those last two division spots. It will be very tough.

You see Buffalo has a factor, to me they aren't there yet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad