Around the League - 2023/24

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Bedsy never gets any love. Even when he turned a 48 point season into a playoff team that made it to the 2nd round he didn't win it.
It's just the way the trophy is voted. No one should be surprised. It's the "who improved their team the most" or "who most surpassed the team expectations" award. The fact that Jon Cooper and Bednar have 3 nominations combined, neither have won it, tells you all you need to know about how to judge coaches based on that award.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Reirden has to be one of the worst head coaches ever in the post-salary cap era, I would take Randy Carlyle and Ron Wilson over him. He failed pretty much everywhere both as a head and assistant along with a horrible powerplay wherever he went including a strong Caps team with a prime Ovechkin. Todd is the Frank Lampard of managers.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I still think it's absolutely ridiculous that the Canes burned their relationship with the Checkers. They're RIGHT THERE in the same state!

Also think it's ridiculous that the Wolves went independent, sucked donkey balls (only the Bridgeport Islanders were worse this year) only to come crawling back to the Hurricanes. Everyone knows that franchise does things their own way but their stubbornness really burned them this time.

Lastly, total side here, what's up with all the AHL affiliates picking boring-ass same names as their parent clubs? We now have the Islanders, Canucks, Wylde, Stars, Penguins, and Bruins. C'mon...think of another name.

Gotta be honest. I don’t find any of that very triggering.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

I'll believe changes are coming when I see them. They are screwed with all those NMC.

A NMC is not as preventive as people make it out to be. There are plenty of reasons why a player might waive his. The vitriol from Leafs fans combined with the fact that Treliving will (or at least he should) say to him that we are not going to keep you here for over 10mil, might do it.

There are teams who would trade for him, no doubt. Tavares? That they are stuck with. Matthews and Nylander? They want to keep.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
A NMC is not as preventive as people make it out to be. There are plenty of reasons why a player might waive his. The vitriol from Leafs fans combined with the fact that Treliving will (or at least he should) say to him that we are not going to keep you here for over 10mil, might do it.

There are teams who would trade for him, no doubt. Tavares? That they are stuck with. Matthews and Nylander? They want to keep.
Yes, but it severely limits who/what they can get in return and where they go. GMs can't just go make any deal they want. The player has all the power.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

If the guy only wants to waive for one or two teams the return will be shit.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
If the guy only wants to waive for one or two teams the return will be shit.
Sure, but I'm pretty sure the Leafs fans have accepted that. We are in a similar pickle with Rantanen, though he has a 9-team no-trade vs full NMC.

The difference is, for us we want to get value out of Rantanen. With the Leafs, they probably view it as addition by subtraction, and I'm not talking just about the capspace here.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Sure, but I'm pretty sure the Leafs fans have accepted that. We are in a similar pickle with Rantanen, though he has a 9-team no-trade vs full NMC.

The difference is, for us we want to get value out of Rantanen. With the Leafs, they probably view it as addition by subtraction, and I'm not talking just about the capspace here.

Rantanen is proven winner and cheaper(next season). Way more attractive than Marner imo.

I don't think their value is close to be honest.

If I want to win something, I am betting on Rantanen, not Marner. That makes the biggest difference.

Toronto would be selling Marner on low.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Rantanen is proven winner and cheaper(next season). Way more attractive than Marner imo.

If I want to win something, I am betting on Rantanen, not Marner. That makes the biggest difference.

Oh absolutely, Rantanen would be worth way more both in the trade and open market. My point is that the Leafs are going to lose a Mitch Marner trade if they commit to one. But the fans are going to be fine with it, because they hate this guy so much right now.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Oh absolutely, Rantanen would be worth way more both in the trade and open market. My point is that the Leafs are going to lose a Mitch Marner trade if they commit to one. But the fans are going to be fine with it, because they hate this guy so much right now.

True. They want to dumb him and then later on they will curse the trade. Haha.

But it's true, they need to get rid of him.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021

If they don't plan to resign Marner anyways and he walks in free agency in 2025, how much of a loss is it really, even if they just trade him for future considerations? Especially since they will use the additional salary cap space to bolster their depth and maybe even find a second defenseman who can do things with the puck.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
If they don't plan to resign Marner anyways and he walks in free agency in 2025, how much of a loss is it really, even if they just trade him for future considerations? Especially since they will use the additional salary cap space to bolster their depth and maybe even find a second defenseman who can do things with the puck.
Think about Rantanen walking away for free. We need those assets or we need to keep him. Leafs don't have many assets either.

Imo, we are in similar situations. We need to make decision regarding Rantanen this summer. I don't think we can wait till next summer.

Reactions: Murzu

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Think about Rantanen walking away for free. We need those assets or we need to keep him. Leafs don't have many assets either.

Imo, we are in similar situations. We need to make decision regarding Rantanen this summer. I don't think we can wait till next summer.
To be honest, I think our front office has shown they are willing to take chances on losing a big asset for free, maybe not as elite of a player as Mikko, but they brought Landeskog and Nichushkin to the eleventh hour. Kadri walked for free too (although that was planned) because we prioritized other pieces and didn't have cap space to fit him because of EJ's last contract year.

Of course in a different era, Stastny walked his way into free agency.

All that being said, I tend to agree with @henchman21 that Avs will go hard on signing Mikko to a long deal as soon as the negotiating period is open and I expect that talks will continue into training camp and even the beginning of the season à la Toews.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If you keep Rants for an extra year and lose him for nothing it's devastating.

Not only you lose a nice "picks and prospects" return package but you also lose the players you'd have kept if you had the cap space next year (ie: Drouin, Colton...)

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
It's just the way the trophy is voted. No one should be surprised. It's the "who improved their team the most" or "who most surpassed the team expectations" award. The fact that Jon Cooper and Bednar have 3 nominations combined, neither have won it, tells you all you need to know about how to judge coaches based on that award.

The fact that a Jack Adams winning coach being fired within a season or two of claiming the award isn't super uncommon really solidifies how pointless the award is.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
If you keep Rants for an extra year and lose him for nothing it's devastating.

Not only you lose a nice "picks and prospects" return package but you also lose the players you'd have kept if you had the cap space next year (ie: Drouin, Colton...)

Yup. Either sign him or trade his ass. Both of which have pros and cons, but you can't let him walk. Way too valuable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad