your expectations for this team this coming year+

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Last season expectations were somewhat low, I think most of us thought the team would be better but I don't know how many actually predicted playoffs.

I think it's safe to say expectations were blown out of the water last season, countless rookie records were set and the team made the playoffs.

Now I think it is time to ask again what do you expect going into 17-18 now that we pretty much know what the team will look like,.

Personally I think the addition of Marleau gives the Leafs one of the best top 9's in the NHL, there aren't many teams that have 3 lines that can score, the Leafs do.

I expect that with Patrick Marleau on his wing instead of Zach "hands of stone" Hyman, that Matthews will reach the next level and will finish with about 85 points I don't know if he gets 40 goals again but I can see 85 points.

As for team success I truly believe that can and should win the division, The Leafs got better while everybody around them stayed the same or got worse

I think they win the Atlantic and I think they win at least a round in the playoffs.

My expectations have gone up significantly and I think yours should too, but have they?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Playoff Team, may win a round depending on who they match up with.

What is the '+' part of this thread?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think that many things went right last season. I kinda expect a step back, to be honest. I am not confident right now in saying that this team is a sure fire playoff team. I am still on a "wait and see" approach.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The team is better than last year. Not by a lot though, and given we had a lot of things go our way (injuries wise) + barely scraped in, I do not think we'll see much more. Maybe we can win a round, but that's about it.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think that many things went right last season. I kinda expect a step back, to be honest. I am not confident right now in saying that this team is a sure fire playoff team. I am still on a "wait and see" approach.

what more do you need to see?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
what more do you need to see?

I need to see how the young guys mature. How do we know that Marner and Nylander are going to be good to great players? They had one great rookie season and that's it, they established themselves? Players start out hot and then fizzle all the time. I am just trying to be careful. Young teams make the playoffs unexpectedly sometimes and then miss the next.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I need to see how the young guys mature. How do we know that Marner and Nylander are going to be good to great players? Players start out hot and then fizzle all the time. I am just trying to be careful. Young teams make the playoffs unexpectedly sometimes and then miss the next.

2014 Calgary. Although that was a bigger surprise than us. Squeaking into the playoffs was the expectation for the Leafs.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Well either here or the unpopular opinions thread....

I think as each day passes, the legend of how good last year's team was grows. I do not think they will repeat the 95 points and there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I still think Tampa is likely the team to beat in the division.

Also, still need improvements on the blueline to take that next step.

Did everyone around them get worse or stay the same? Tampa should be better than last year. Montreal.....IMO is not going to be able to score, if Price goes down with injury....oh boy. Ottawa should be pretty good, but I think they played over their capabilities last season. Detroit is terrible, Buffalo is not very good, Florida...probably not very good. Boston should be OK, but are declining.

The Leafs certainly should make the playoffs again, home ice would be nice and is very attainable. As we saw...anything can happen. Matthews or Andersen goes down with injury. McElhinney pulls an Enroth.....

I am confident in this team, I think they should improve on their point totals from last year. As ACC1224 said.....may win a round depending on match up. Thus why home ice is so key.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
30 wins... 40 losses... So about 100 points?

Sounds about right.

I think we're a fringe playoff team, and it could go either way depending on health and how well the last year's rookies respond to teams having a scouting report on them. Not to mention many veterans had career years last year. So some regression should be expected on that part.

Anywhere from 1st-7th in the division wouldn't surprise me.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Sounds about right.

I think we're a fringe playoff team, and it could go either way depending on health and how well the last year's rookies respond to teams having a scouting report on them.

7th? that's a little exterme

you Got Detroit, Buffalo and Florida in the Atlantic

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I expect the Leafs 17/18 will look very similar to the Oilers 16/17, driven mainly by:

- Matthews a top 5 center
- Rielly take a big step forward (top 20 D man)
- one of Nylander/Marner nets 70 points
- roughly all else remaining equal with certain players taking small steps forward and backward

I understand most Leaf's fans trepidation and lack of confidence. To those people:

You've been scared of love, and what it did to you; they're going to make a run, I know what they can do. Just a simple touch, and it will set you free. You don't have to stress, you have the big 3.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
No reason the Leafs can't be fighting for the division and assert themselves as a top team in the East, if not the entire league.

Sure, a lot of things went right last year with good health and so many breakouts, but there was also the fluky terrible shootout record and so many improbable late game collapses. We can and should expect improvement there--and last year's team was among the best in terms of minutes leading, indicative of a truly good team. Rarely got blown out or looked overmatched, most notably in a tough playoff matchup.

On paper, we're better.

Maybe logic suggests some of the young guys have trouble building on last year's success, but it's hard to imagine anything other than continued growth from a horse like Matthews. Nylander looked better and better as the season went on and then dominated the World Champs, so nothing but optimism there too.

It's not an original thought, but so much hinges on goaltending. If Andersen plays to his potential and irons out the inconsistencies, I truly believe we're Cup contenders.

I expect playoffs at least. From there anything can happen, for better or worse. But the potential is there for a really big year!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Sounds about right.

I think we're a fringe playoff team, and it could go either way depending on health and how well the last year's rookies respond to teams having a scouting report on them. Not to mention many veterans had career years last year. So some regression should be expected on that part.

i have to say - that this bothers me. there would have been a scouting report on them during the season last year. like. it's not like the other teams ignored them. We don't see this to other players so i'm not sure what the scouting report will be that would be different from like say Mid March.

I would argue the majority of the teams in the Atlantic can say the exact same thing re: health. I don't see why the leafs always get this "Well they did what they did because they were healthy." but not say that in regarding the other teams who were actually healthier than the leafs.

my expectations for the leafs are as following.

1: the Leafs do not blow as many games as they did last season.
as this was mostly predicated on the fact we ran 7-11 rookies depending on what part of the season we were in, this should change.

2: a better overtime/shootout record.
we were woeful in this regard this should improve.

3: MNM's + Brown and the Gang continue to improve - not necessarily offensively.
i'd rather the good chunk of them step back defensively, but improve on their two way games, vs. trying to obliterate more records (though that is always fun).

4: Rielly, Kadri continue to evolve in the roles they are wanting to be a part of.

5: Not losing more than 3 games in a row.

6: not going more than 6 games in a winless streak.

7: winning the season series against 3 of the following:
Montreal, Buffalo, Ottawa and Tampa.

8: making the playoffs.
that was the expectation set last season by the organization, so I don't see why ours should be any lower than that. for me i don't care where we end up - just as long as we are there

9: winning a round - depending on our opponent (but i'd expect them to play competitively and not roll over).

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Leafs and Tampa will compete for the division. Tampa eventually takes it, and Leafs face the Sens in Round 1, where the Leafs continue their playoff dominance over Ottawa. They then beat the Habs in a tough 7 game series, before falling to the Pens in the conference finals.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
We could possibly win the division or miss the playoffs ... Im hoping for 95-100 points

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
There is no chance they miss the playoffs

there is a chance even if a small one......

Last year I thought we were a fringe/bubble playoff team and that we would finish just outside of the playoffs or barely make it. This year I think we will make round 2 of the playoffs and an outside shot of the ECF.

nonikhanna

Feb 9, 2011
Maple Tree
Hmmm contrary to what other people think, I think Buffalo will finally step up into the playoffs. Our division will be tight. Ranking from best to worst,

1. Tampa Bay
2/3/4 Montreal, Toronto, Buffalo depending on injuries, they might rotate.
5/6 Ottawa, Florida
7. Detroit.

Ottawa and Florida could surprise into the playoffs. But I see Montreal, Tampa and Buffalo as our rivals in the division.

I still expect the Leafs to take a step up this year. Mainly because the Marleau-Matthews-Nylander line will be an improvement over the Hyman version. Our defense is better as well. Look for a playoff rental come trade deadline to boost our blue line. I predict 100+ points as I believe we will win more games in shootout.

In playoffs anything can happen. Since we are in the top half of our division, I expect us to win at least 1 round.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad