GDT: YOUR CAROLINA HURRICANES play, uh, the NCAA's Arizona State Sun Devils?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
A few things to note on this interview.

First, why does Rod always look like someone ran over his dog in every post game interview, win or lose. When he was on spittin chiclets, he was animated, funny, engaging. Same with other interviews I've seen him on. I realize post game interviews are more business like so he has to portray an image, and coaches are supposed to never be happy with their team's performance, but he always seems depressed almost. I'm sure it's an image thing because his locker room post game talks are the opposite.

Second, he said pretty strongly about Ghost: "you can seen, he's going to help us". "Ghost is a real help and we needed that".

Thirdly, he didn't seem overly excited about the Puljujarvi acquisition as it applies to short term. "Puljujarvi, I don't know yet. I don't know how we're going to use him. I think that's more let's see what we can get and hopefully resurrect a once young, very promising player so we'll see where that goes."

Lastly, He re-iterated the mantra of the management of "we make our team in the summer". He also said "Listen, everybody got better players, that's for sure. They went out and grabbed the top guys from every other team, but we'll see. Only 1 team can win it and I know we're going to give it everything we can."

Last edited:

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Looks like I missed this team FINALLY dominating an AHL squad like they should (but don't always do). Good to see that Ghost Bear got on the board and our PP was firing for 3 goals. Love some insight on how Ghost played in his first game. Again though, hard to read too much into a game against Arizona.
Despite the moaning about our TDL he was noticeable in a very good way. I dont think I noticed a single bad play by him and obviously on the offensive side he was a plus

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Despite the moaning about our TDL he was noticeable in a very good way. I dont think I noticed a single bad play by him and obviously on the offensive side he was a plus
Yep. Regardless of the deadline we need our top forwards to play like top forwards. Right now, I'd say Necas and Aho are the only two that really are on a somewhat consistent basis. Jarvis has played better recently and Svech has played better as well, but we need more goal scoring on a consistent basis from both of those guys. TT needs to turn it around as well.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
I think Tripp just confirmed he hangs out on HFBoards….
Yeah, his comments were way too specific to the discussions we've had recently about Chychrun.
while i get your point Tripp, the organization would have to change their philosophy for Skjei and Pesce to be forever hurricanes
Exactly. To clarify with a mini essay (particularly if Tripp reads us talking about this again):

I wouldn't entertain the thought if I believed it was very likely we'd re-sign both in the summer of 2024 (when we also have the contracts of Aho and Necas expiring no less). If we're gonna let one of Skjei or Pesce go based on our past history (we didn't re-sign Trocheck or Nino last summer and I thought we'd get 1 extended, and other examples), it wasn't a bad idea to get a long term replacement on a cap friendly contract with term, who is also younger and very good (Chychrun of course), while trying to package one of our current 2nd pairing defensemen in the summer for a top 6 forward which we missed out on this deadline. However, as 1-2 people on our board pointed out, there's no guarantee we'd be able to trade one of our defensemen even with how good they are. Who knows for sure what good top 6 forwards will actually be available to trade for this summer.

For what it's worth, I'd like Pesce to be a "forever Cane" too. We drafted him, and he's a RHD too. I also think Skjei-Pesce has been a great pairing in their history together, and Skjei broke his personal record for most goals in a season. Neither has had a lackluster season as a Cane. It's nothing against them. As was pointed out by somebody on our board, we've often had our best trades when we've traded a roster player(s), and we struggled to get a replacement for Pacioretty this deadline. If we had got Chychrun, I just thought there was a decent package for a top 6 forward with Skjei/Pesce +2024 1st round pick particularly with teams that have struggled defensively and might flame out early again in the playoffs (Toronto, Edmonton).

A lot of variables and different scenarios. If Ghost keeps being effective on the power play though, it's hard to be upset with us getting him instead. I just don't know if Ghost is gonna be anything more than a rental with his price (currently a 4 million dollar player), and I doubt we'd pay something like that for the third pairing on an extension. So, it currently seems at best, he'll be a good short term add.
What did Tripp say?
I'm paraphrasing, but he said no offense to Chychrun, but he's glad we got Ghost instead of him. Chychrun would have costed a lot to get, and he complimented Ghost. What was the clincher for me that he's read our board recently, is he said he doesn't want to trade Skjei or Pesce, and he wants them to be forever Canes.

I think the Canes didn't want to come up empty handed waiting around on trying to get a star player like had just happened with Meier, and so they weren't gonna wait around hoping the price for Chychrun would drop as Ottawa did. If we had gotten the reduced price Ottawa had, I think it would've been very reasonable to have paid that price for Chychrun. Maybe it will work out better in the long run with us having our 2023 1st round pick, etc. available to trade at the draft for a top 6 forward instead of using them on Chychrun though.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Ghost seems like a very good fit. Likely a rental, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he was a candidate for a 1-year extension as a reputation-builder of sorts.

Here's the thing: I'm on the neutral side as far as the deadline is concerned. They did end up using $7.5M in cap space, which is a significant cut of what they had. I just don't know if Poolparty and Ghost are the best ways to weaponize it, although they gave up almost nothing of significant value to do so.

Sigurd

Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ghost seems like a very good fit. Likely a rental, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he was a candidate for a 1-year extension as a reputation-builder of sorts.

Here's the thing: I'm on the neutral side as far as the deadline is concerned. They did end up using $7.5M in cap space, which is a significant cut of what they had. I just don't know if Poolparty and Ghost are the best ways to weaponize it, although they gave up almost nothing of significant value to do so.
The very low trade cost helps to offset things for sure, even if we all wanted a good top 6 forward given our need.

If Ghost does well, a 1 or maybe even 2 year extension for less than his 4 million would be a great idea. I'm not sure if we could get him for 3 million, but that sounds better.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Yeah, he's comments were way too specific to the discussions we've had recently about Chychrun.

Exactly. To clarify with a mini essay (particularly if Tripp reads us talking about this again):

I wouldn't entertain the thought if I believed it was very likely we'd re-sign both in the summer of 2024 (when we also have the contracts of Aho and Necas expiring no less). If we're gonna let one of Skjei or Pesce go based on our past history (we didn't re-sign Trocheck or Nino last summer and I thought we'd get 1 extended, and other examples), it wasn't a bad idea to get a long term replacement on a cap friendly contract with term, who is also younger and very good (Chychrun of course), while trying to package one of our current 2nd pairing defensemen in the summer for a top 6 forward which we missed out on this deadline. However, as 1-2 people on our board pointed out, there's no guarantee we'd be able to trade one of our defensemen even with how good they are. Who knows for sure what good top 6 forwards will actually be available to trade for this summer.

For what it's worth, I'd like Pesce to be a "forever Cane" too. We drafted him, and he's a RHD too. I also think Skjei-Pesce has been a great pairing in their history together, and Skjei broke his personal record for most goals in a season. Neither has had a lackluster season as a Cane. It's nothing against them. As was pointed out by somebody on our board, we've often had our best trades when we've traded a roster player(s), and we struggled to get a replacement for Pacioretty this deadline. If we had got Chychrun, I just thought there was a decent package for a top 6 forward with Skjei/Pesce +2024 1st round pick particularly with teams that have struggled defensively and might flame out early again in the playoffs (Toronto, Edmonton).

A lot of variables and different scenarios. If Ghost keeps being effective on the power play though, it's hard to be upset with us getting him instead. I just don't know if Ghost is gonna be anything more than a rental with his price (currently a 4 million dollar player), and I doubt we'd pay something like that for the third pairing on an extension. So, it currently seems at best, he'll be a good short term add.

I'm paraphrasing, but he said no offense to Chychrun, but he's glad we got Ghost instead of him. Chychrun would have costed a lot to get, and he complimented Ghost. What was the clincher for me that he's read our board recently, is he said he doesn't want to trade Skjei or Pesce, and he wants them to be forever Canes.

I think the Canes didn't want to come up empty handed waiting around on trying to get a star player like had just happened with Meier, and so they weren't gonna wait around hoping the price for Chychrun would drop as Ottawa did. If we had gotten the reduced price Ottawa had, I think it would've been very reasonable to have paid that price for Chychrun. Maybe it will work out better in the long run with us having our 2023 1st round pick, etc. available to trade at the draft for a top 6 forward instead of using them on Chychrun though.

It was in a recent interview that Dundon or Waddell (I forget which) said that the org would like both Pesce and Skjei to retire as Canes if possible. Doesn't mean it will happen, or that they'll be offering them market rates, but it also doesn't sound like the Borg will be approaching the negotiations like they did with Dougie or Trocheck, say. Unless things change I'm guessing the negotiations will be along the lines of what Tampa did with some of their big names; discounted $ to stay, but depending on what the players value (environment, stability, chance for a cup, etc.), competitive in the bigger scheme of things. I guess we'll see.

Reactions: cptjeff and Sigurd

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

Ghost has put uo quite the numbers to need to take a 1 year reputation booster.

Candidates for 1 years imo are Klingberg and Dumo.

Sigurd

Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
It was in a recent interview that Dundon or Waddell (I forget which) said that the org would like both Pesce and Skjei to retire as Canes if possible. Doesn't mean it will happen, or that they'll be offering them market rates, but it also doesn't sound like the Borg will be approaching the negotiations like they did with Dougie or Trocheck, say. Unless things change I'm guessing the negotiations will be along the lines of what Tampa did with some of their big names; discounted $ to stay, but depending on what the players value (environment, stability, chance for a cup, etc.), competitive in the bigger scheme of things. I guess we'll see.
Yeah, I've heard the comments about both Pesce AND Skjei being valued so much by the front office, but I've remained skeptical based on their history that they'll re-sign both. If they don't re-sign Pesce, IMO it's gonna be the worst player they don't extend during this FO's reign for several reasons; namely including that he was drafted by us.

Speaking of a discount(s), I think that potential is the most encouraging to me. I have a little hope for it because in an interview with either Skjei or Pesce (I don't remember which) that Hannah had, they made it known they were pretty much each other's best friends on the team. That and the fact they both work so well together as a fantastic 2nd pairing gives me some hope that they'd be willing to extend for a discount to get things done during the contract negotiations.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I noticed one time Ghost tried to pass out from the defensive zone for a turnover and scoring opportunity, and I recall thinking “that’s the kind of turnover I think people talk about”.

Otherwise looked great.

Regarding long-term defense signings, the talk about Pesce and Skjei reminds me of how the Borg talked about Hamilton.

Which is to say, they talk about Aho and Slavin (and Svech, but he’s locked up now) differently from others.

Reactions: hblueridgegal

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I think that the emergence of Nikishin/Morrow (maybe even Honka as a longer shot) really helps the Skjei/Pesce conundrum. The Canes took a huge risk in letting Hamilton sign his massive New Jersey contract back when they didn't have the developed prospect pool to replace him. The risk won't be as large with these two.

Reactions: zman77

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Yep. Regardless of the deadline we need our top forwards to play like top forwards. Right now, I'd say Necas and Aho are the only two that really are on a somewhat consistent basis. Jarvis has played better recently and Svech has played better as well, but we need more goal scoring on a consistent basis from both of those guys. TT needs to turn it around as well.

Stickpucker's Season Grades:
Nachos - A
Aho - A-
Svech - B-
Jarvis - B
Turbo - D

Reactions: Daeavorn

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Jarvis - B
Turbo - D
Goals per game:
TT: .14
Jarvis: .21

Assists per game:
TT: .44
Jarvis: .32

I don't see a 2-letter grade difference there.

Further, Aho is the best forward, and Jarvis has been pinned to his hip for months, while TT has done time on the 4th line. I would also say that TT is much better at setting his teammates up for success, but that's so difficult to qualify that I wouldn't want to debate it.

The good news is that both players have been better lately in comparison to the beginning of the season.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Goals per game:
TT: .14
Jarvis: .21

Assists per game:
TT: .44
Jarvis: .32

I don't see a 2-letter grade difference there.

Further, Aho is the best forward, and Jarvis has been pinned to his hip for months, while TT has done time on the 4th line. I would also say that TT is much better at setting his teammates up for success, but that's so difficult to qualify that I wouldn't want to debate it.

The good news is that both players have been better lately in comparison to the beginning of the season.

I should have elaborated the grade is relative to expectation.

I expect a 65-70 pt season from Turbo with good defense.

He's on pace for 40 pts and meh defense and the eye test isn't good.

I'd like to see some growth in Jarvis game this year but he's doing less with more TOI. He Also has a target on his back and hasn't learned how to deal with it.

I had no expectation of Jarvis being a top 5 scorer for us this season.
He's doing okay as an ELC point getter.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
@cptjeff

1678031496675.gif

Reactions: geehaad and zman77

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
I should have elaborated the grade is relative to expectation.

I'd like to see some growth in Jarvis game this year but he's doing less with more TOI. He Also has a target on his back and hasn't learned how to deal with it.

Jarvy's effervescent, youthful personality makes it harder to be critical or perhaps. colors the lens a little with our fans, jmo. Buys him more runway.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Jarvy's effervescent, youthful personality makes it harder to be critical or perhaps. colors the lens a little with our fans, jmo. Buys him more runway.

What buys him a little more runway for me is that he just turned 21 less than a month ago. Given the style he plays, I'm looking forward to when he adds another 10lbs and gets some of his man strength (I couldn't tell you what man strength is, but it sounds good, lol).

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

What buys him a little more runway for me is that he just turned 21 less than a month ago. Given the style he plays, I'm looking forward to when he adds another 10lbs and gets some of his man strength (I couldn't tell you what man strength is, but it sounds good, lol).

I think all 3 of these are valid reasons why and all probably play a part.

TT has set a standard of 65+ point so that's the expectation.
HF, and fans in general tend to give more runway to prospects in general, and when they have a youthful personality like Jarvis, we do so even more.
And, it's recognized that he is only in his 2nd NHL season and still developing.

EDIT: I must have had a bunch of other posts from a few days ago "multi-quoted" as they all showed up. I deleted them as only the last 3 (remaining here) are pertinent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad