Your biggest "blew it" and "knew it" player predictions

ForSpareParts*

blew it: i thought JS Giguire would play better for the buds. only a slight disappointment.

knew it: i knew that Grabo would have a horrible playoff. he never seemed to come up big for the Leafs when it really counted (game winning goals, playing well in a drive to make the post-season, big defensive plays, winning faceoffs, etc.)

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
Oh and back in 2008 after David Clarkson's rookie year I proposed a trade- White, Ponikarovsky and Pogge for Clarkson and I got absolutely ripped to shreds for it.

Five years later White is an unsigned UFA, Ponikarovsky is signed to play in Russia and Pogge is playing in Italy. Meanwhile we just signed Clarkson to a gigantic 7 year contract.

If people had just listened to me five years ago....

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Oh and back in 2008 after David Clarkson's rookie year I proposed a trade- White, Ponikarovsky and Pogge for Clarkson and I got absolutely ripped to shreds for it.

Five years later White is an unsigned UFA, Ponikarovsky is signed to play in Russia and Pogge is playing in Italy. Meanwhile we just signed Clarkson to a gigantic 7 year contract.

Would Clarkson have been the difference between a perennial bottom feeder and a playoff team, though?

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
You mean Boyes and McCauley? Was Sullivan even on the team when we acquired Nolan?

my bad, i think you are right.

but sullivan was acquired with mccauley from new jersey for gilmour, i believe. along with jason smith. who was traded to edmonton for peanuts.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009

Then what? I didn't realize fans on HFBoards were part of the Leafs management team.

CmonLeafs

Oct 22, 2010
Ottawa
Blew it:
- I really thought Gustavsson was going to be the real deal. And he really did look great in that 2nd season. Seemed like he stood on his head and we lost 3-1 every night. Then he allowed the 7 against the Rangers and never had a good game after that.
- For some reason I thought Robbie Earl would really step up and prove to be a consistent 2nd line kind of player. Quite wrong there. I really liked Christian Hanson too actually.

Knew it:
- I was really excited about Kulemin after seeing a couple clips of him in the KHL and seeing his stats and all. He came in as a rookie and put up some real solid seasons even before his 30-goal year.
- When Atlanta walked away from MacArthur's arbitration award I tweeted that the Leafs should pick him up and that he'd be a bargain. The next day we signed him for $1.1M and he scored 62 points.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Knew it: Hanson sucks, Grabo sucks, Gusty sucks

Blew it: Thought komi would play with Carlyle

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Blew it:

- Thought that Kulemin would have another strong offensive year last season
- Thought that Cody Franson was pretty much worthless last year

Knew it:

- JVR would break out (I still expect him to be a 35-30 player)
- Joffrey Lupul would play well in Toronto (Expected him to reach around 50 points)
- The Dion Phaneuf trade was an absolute steal

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

To be fair, Clarkson kind of sucked in 2008.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

I thought Seguin would haunt us as the Bruins franchise centre.

oops.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Nice thread!

Blew it: So many, but Keith Aulie was a guy I thought was going to anchor the blueline for the Leafs for a long time. Kadri I was wrong about the last three years . . . two years straight I predicted his break-out season and I was badly wrong; then I gave up on him, thought he would never become a full time NHLer, and he has his huge break-out. And I blew it in a good way on Reimer . . . I never thought he'd be an acceptable starting goaltender, and he's been very good.

Knew it: I just knew Gunnarsson had the chops to be a top 4 guy, always had faith in him; and I just knew Antropov and Stajan were guys to get rid of when we did (sell high) and that on a playoff team, they'd be subpar. And I just knew Phaneuf had the skill and chops to resurrect himself in a way in Toronto, despite the somewhat rocky start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad