Your biggest "blew it" and "knew it" player predictions

Gardiner Expressway

Dec 1, 2011
Thanks to Devils board for the inspiration.

Blew it:
-I always thought Keith Aulie was going to become the top pairing D we wanted. Hasn't panned out much with TB.
-Was a Marcel Mueller fan... oops. :(
-Thought Gustavsson was going to be our saviour

Knew it:
-Was a 100% Kadri supporter from Day 1... last season was fun!
-Luke Schenn sucked and wouldn't become our 1D/Captain/Hero
- Was surprised that we got Franson for Lombardi's contract and was a big fan all the way through. Still think he can become a top pairing guy for us.
- JVR would break out this season (though I thought he'd play centre!)

Last edited:

Oiffub

Matthews > McDavid don't @ me
Mar 16, 2010
ACC
Knew from day 1 Gunnar had what it takes to handle top pairing minutes.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Blew it: Predicted that Phil would score 40 goals the year before the lockout shortened one.

Knew it: Costco was a terrible player and shouldn't have been playing on the leafs

Terrence

Aug 3, 2010
Blew it: Never thought Kadri would become a full-time NHL player.

Knew it: Jake Gardiner would have a sophomore slump.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Blew it: Thought that Luke Schenn would be a #1D, one of the best shutdown Defensemen in the game

Knew it: Reimer would be a solid NHL Calibre Goalie

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
knew it: grabo would be bought out.

blew it: gonna go off the board and say holzer.... Obviously he shouldnt of been playing those minutes, but he just looked soo sooooo bad out there

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Knew it: Kadri would step up to the Big team and make a huge impact
Blew it: Thought Kulemin would emerge into a 70point guy

Kyle Doobas*

Blew it: Colby Armstrong. Thought he would've been a staple on our third line for years, and good for 40 points or so.

Knew it: Mike Komisarek. Wasn't a fan of that signing from day one. Way too much money and term for a guy with so many question marks surrounding his game, and who had been pretty lousy in his last season with Montreal. Luke Schenn to a lesser extent. I liked him as a bottom-four guy, but never bought the 'next great shut-down d-man' hype.

Leo Komarov could fit under both for me. I knew he'd make the team last season and that everyone was vastly underrating him (complete with allusions to Rickard Wallin), but overestimated the offensive impact he'd have in the NHL. Like Colby Armstrong, I thought he'd be a staple on the third line long-term.

Last edited by a moderator:

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
Knew it: Kadri. Never doubted him, always knew he'd be a good NHL player.

Blew it: Mark Bell. Thought he'd be a huge piece for us, and was thoroughly excited when we got him. Yeesh.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Knew it: Kadri would have a great season if given the chance, albeit a short one..

Blew it: Thought Grabo would be the undisputed other scoring line center for the next few years.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Blew it: Colby Armstrong. Thought he would've been a staple on our third line for years, and good for 40 points or so.

Knew it: Mike Komisarek. Wasn't a fan of that signing from day one. Way too much money and term for a guy with so many question marks surrounding his game, and who had been pretty lousy in his last season with Montreal. Luke Schenn to a lesser extent. I liked him as a bottom-four guy, but never bought the 'next great shut-down d-man' hype.

Leo Komarov could fit under both for me. I knew he'd make the team last season and that everyone was vastly underrating him (complete with allusions to Rickard Wallin), but overestimated the offensive impact he'd have in the NHL. Like Colby Armstrong, I thought he'd be a staple on the third line long-term.

I agree with this completely. I was a huge Komarov fan watching some live Marlies games and loved him with the Leafs but God damn does the man have hands of stone or what......how many clear breaks does one guy get and never ever score :amazed:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Blew it: pogge, thought he was gonna be our brodeur.
-Thought kessel was destined to be a heartless, perimeter player, who'd collapse in tight checking game.

Knew it: stajan wasn't going to be captain, and was very overrated in Toronto.
- Rask, hated trading him

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I agree with this completely. I was a huge Komarov fan watching some live Marlies games and loved him with the Leafs but God damn does the man have hands of stone or what......how many clear breaks does one guy get and never ever score :amazed:

Rookie year, common stuff, he prob was overthinking. Once he got comfortable, I think we'd be seeing more goals.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Knew it: Kadri was going to become a very good 2nd line player.
Blew it: Kadri is going to develop as a winger and never touch center again.

Knew it: Kulemin's 30 goal season was an anomaly.
Blew it: Grabovski was part of our core and would be our 2nd line center for years.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Knew It: Rask would become a great player (wanted him over Pogge), Kadri been his supporter ever since he got drafted, Kessel knew he had more potential than what he showed in Boston

Blew It: MacArthur, did not expect him to play as well as he did with the Leafs, I really thought it was a Pejorative Slured move to sign him
Stralman, got fooled into thinking he was the next Lidstrom lol.
Filatov over Schenn...

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
Blew it: Bozak. After his rookie season, I thought he would be able to crack 60 points at least once. However, those hands I saw when he scored those highlight reel goals in his first season have since disappeared. Now he misses empty nets.
If not bozak, it was definitely lupul. Even now I cant believe that a player who had consistency, partying + injury issues throughout his entire career managed to re-invent himself at the age of 28. I thought he would be a 50-60 point player. Boy was I wrong.

Knew it: Hmmm. I don't know its hard to call this one. Kadri, Gardiner and reimer aren't finished products so its a bit premature to call "knew it" now. Same with my opinon that jvr> schenn as both still have ways to go. Called kessel would hit ppg and that kulemin's 30g season would probably be his best ever. I guess my biggest win was calling that subban and karlsson will be better than schenn (back when schenn was way more highly regarded) as I don't see schenn ever surpassing those two.

JMcLeaf

Blew it: Filatov over Schenn
Had a lot of doubts about Kadri. I'm a Knights fan so I knew he was very skilled but he had some pretty bad habits that I was concerned he wouldn't get rid of (inconsistent effort, puck hog which lead to too many turnovers, barely helped out on defense). So glad he proved me wrong. Hope he keeps improving!

Knew it: Rask :(

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Blew it: Wasn't patient enough with Kadri and never thought he would amount to much in the NHL. Labelled him a bust on several occasions. Also, didn't think Kessel would last long in Carlyle's system. Was frequently on the side of "we lost" the Kessel trade. Phil really impressed me this year. Seguin... not so much (though it's still a few years until we find out just how good he is/can be).

Knew it: Tim Connolly. Colby Armstrong. John-Michael Liles. Basically any Burke signing. Burke's love of Wilson would eventually lead to his demise.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
Knew It: Alex Steen. Was mad when we traded him. Would have much rather have included Stajan in the deal.

(In a few years.... Bernier :))

Blew It: Luke Schenn. I still believe in the kid, I just thought he was going to be more dominant.

Jiri Tlusty and Tukka Rask. I HATED the Rask deal the moment it was announced, but even then I didn't realize Rask would be this good. Makes that deal so much worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad