Your biggest "blew it" and "knew it" player predictions

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Blew it : Thought it would happen sooner, after Tannebaum was forced to issue public apology letters for GM & Team failure. Believed it would happen at the end of season pre-lockout, not beginning of next post lockout, but I suppose new ownership delayed the inevitable outcome.

Good thing they waited, otherwise we may not have made the playoffs since Jay McClement and James Van Riemsdyk were key additions to the Burke assembled roster that coach Carlyle was supplied with to select his team from.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Knew it:
Pretty much every move Pat Quinn made as GM. Every time we acquired a washed up veteran at the expense of our future I was left shaking my head.

Blew it:
I really thought Ron Wilson would whip our players into to shape before they eventually tuned him out, which is pretty much what he did in San Jose. I guess he decided to skip the whipping our players into shape part.
Really thought Toskala was going to be our solution in goal. And then he started acting like he was playing for the Flyers.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I also knew that letting Versteeg go was a terrible move. Always thought of him as a great player.

MajinBlake

Jul 5, 2009
Leafs Nation
Knew it: Acquiring Komisarek and Versteeg were bad ideas.

Blew it: Trading Kaberle, especially in-division, would be a move that would haunt us for the rest of his career.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Knew it: Kadri would be an impact player in the nhl.
Blew it: Had a hunch that Kessel was going to wilt under Carlyle and I was very happy to be proven wrong. It was nice to see Carlyle remain very supportive of Phil during his early season slump.

Future knew it: Reimer maintains a save % over .915 for the next 5 seasons and people will still claim that he is garbage.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Knew It:

- Rask was a stud and Pogge was a flake. This still burns me today. :(
- In conjunction, trading for Raycroft would set the team back years.
- Stajan was no more than a 3rd liner.
- Wellwood would never cut it long term.

Blew It:

- Thought the drafting of Schenn was a turning point for the franchise and he'd be a Leaf for life.
- Stempniak. Thought we were getting a 25 to 30 goal scorer and sold Steen at the right time as he would not be able to put it all together.
- Liked the Toskala trade. My judgement was certainly clouded because it meant the end of Raycroft.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Knew It - Giguere would be awful here.

Blew it - Thought Armstrong would be fantastic. Same with Komisarek - thought Komi was exactly what we needed

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Blew it - Stralman... kid looked so smooth when he first started with the Leafs, and that end to end goal.

also Aulie, I thought he could become a very strong part of our D, given his size, that he could throw the mitts with authority and looked good with Phaneuf...

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
A couple I forgot:

Knew it: Jason Blake. I laughed and laughed when I heard that signing. And for five years? Man, I still laugh about it today.

Blew it: I though Kulemin was going to become a consistent 25-goal winger that would be around for a long time.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Blew it - Stralman... kid looked so smooth when he first started with the Leafs, and that end to end goal.

also Aulie, I thought he could become a very strong part of our D, given his size, that he could throw the mitts with authority and looked good with Phaneuf...

Considering both players are fringe NHLers at best right now, I'm not sure the Leafs are the ones that blew it.

I didn't like the Aulie trade though.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Knew it: Acquiring Komisarek and Versteeg were bad ideas.

Blew it: Trading Kaberle, especially in-division, would be a move that would haunt us for the rest of his career.

Acquiring Versteeg worked out just fine. We traded to Philly for better value than we used to acquire him.

Good asset management imo.

Hammerheart

Now how about a hug?
Aug 1, 2011
I predicted just two months into the 2001-2002 season that Datsyuk was going to be an elite, dominant player and go down in history as one of the best. At the time, people had their reservations about how good he was going to actually be. ****, I sold my Fedorov jersey and got a Datsyuk one just before Xmas that year.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Acquiring Versteeg worked out just fine. We traded to Philly for better value than we used to acquire him.

Good asset management imo.

We acquired and traded Versteeg at the right time.

He isn't the kind of top 6 player we needed and he was definitely not worth what Florida is paying him right now.

gordonshumway

Sep 18, 2010
Knew it:
- Komisarek and Armstrong signings were bad and would end in buyouts
- Reimer would be a solid NHL goalie, looking at his rise through various levels of competition
- Most of 'free wallet' guys were free for a reason, save for Bozak none amounted to much

Blew it:
- Thought Kulemin was a bona fide 20-25 goal guy every year
- Figured Versteeg trade would bite us (and not just giving up on Stalberg, figured DiDomenico would make Leafs regret the move)
- didn't think Lupul would turn out as good as he did, thought he was a throw-in that would get flipped later

Polk High

Sep 9, 2009
I don't recall that. The very Tournament that Pogge was part of the winning Team, Rask was voted the best goaltender.

You'd think the Bruins would have asked for Pogge instead then.

I was under the impression they had asked for Pogge.

Funny though...

Knew it- Rask would be a better goalie than Pogge and that trade was a mistake. I remember being pissed!

Blew it - Toskala. Thought he could at the very least provide consistent goal tending

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
Blew it- Thought the Leafs kept the right goalie in the Raycroft trade. Though I really thought we should have kept them both. But I was a big fan of Pogge and thought Rask would bust.

Knew it-
Correctly predicted that Toskala would not be an upgrade on Raycroft. I was completely alone on that one.

Correctly predicted that Versteeg would be a bust in Toronto. Almost completely alone at that too although there were a few that agreed.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I predicted just two months into the 2001-2002 season that Datsyuk was going to be an elite, dominant player and go down in history as one of the best. At the time, people had their reservations about how good he was going to actually be. ****, I sold my Fedorov jersey and got a Datsyuk one just before Xmas that year.

I think you made a wrong turn at Atlantic Division. :laugh:

SarcazemKadri

Feb 15, 2012
Toronto
Blew it: Thought Kulemin would develop into a consistent offensive threat.

Knew it: Kadri being an impact player, Reimer playing well all season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad