Your All-Time NHL Team

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
AND you chose Belfour?

There is no universe where I see this as having chemistry.

It is like you put icing, powdered sugar and maple syrup on your dessert. Each individually is yummy. But together? Yuck.
Just naming some of my favorites and trying to stick them on lines. My third line is a dream line I've always wanted to see. Three players you couldn't take the puck away from. Combination of two-way play, passing, scoring, puck dominance.

What's wrong with Belfour?

Why couldn't Ovechkin/Gretzky/Bure work?

Reactions: Dingo

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Why couldn't Ovechkin/Gretzky/Bure work?
Seriously?!

They are on the ice, without the puck. Who is going into a corner? Who is sacrificing their body to stop a shot or impede a rusher? Who the hell is backchecking on odd-man surges against?

The line is ABSURD.

Really, it is.

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
Here's my go at it:

Alex Ovechkin - Peter Stastny - Gordie Howe
Ted Lindsay - Wayne Gretzky - Maurice Richard
Doug Bentley - Max Bentley - Bill Mosienko
Bobby Hull - Bobby Clarke - Andy Bathgate

Nicklas Lidstrom - Bobby Orr
Denis Potvin - Eddie Shore
Bullet Joe Simpson - Black Jack Stewart

Terry Sawchuk
Charlie Gardiner

Reactions: rfournier103

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Doug Bentley - Max Bentley - Bill Mosienko
I get re-uniting the Bentley brothers.

But Mosienko scored his record three fastest goals years after Max Bentley went to Toronto. In fact, Chicago was in the basement before Max was traded away.

So,... at RW you have no proven chemistry. Hence, you should select a much more talented player.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

But Mosienko scored his record three fastest goals years after Max Bentley went to Toronto. In fact, Chicago was in the basement before Max was traded away.

So,... at RW you have no proven chemistry. Hence, you should select a much more talented player.

Team was in the basement but they did finish 1st, 6th and 9th in scoring as a line in '47. I wouldn't say there wasn't proven chemistry.

Mr Burns

LOL U MAD BRO? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 9, 2020
Ovechkin - Gretzky - M. Richard (the greatest playmaker of all time with the two best pure goalscorers of all time)

Bobby Hull - Lemieux - Jagr (the most talented player of all time with a great goalscorer and Jagr for chemistry)

Shanahan - Béliveau - Lafleur (physicality, clutch, leadership and skills)

Gainey - Carbonneau - Lehtinen (would probably be the best defensive line of all time, I take Carbo before Bergeron because he played against Gretzky, Lemieux, etc.)

Orr - Robinson (the greatest defenseman of all time with one, if not the most complete defenseman of all time)

Stevens - Bourque (the greatest bodychecker with the second best defenseman of all time)

Lidstrom - Potvin (probably the best defensive pairing of all time)

Roy (the greatest goaltender of all time)

Hasek (the second greatest goaltender of all time)

Sonny Lamateena

Nov 2, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario
Lemieux - Gretzky - Jagr
Ovechkin - Fedorov - Bure
Shanahan - Lindros - Neely
Graves - Messier - Fleury

Bourque - MacInnis
Leetch - Zubov
Pronger - Chelios

Hasek
Richter

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Seriously?!

They are on the ice, without the puck. Who is going into a corner? Who is sacrificing their body to stop a shot or impede a rusher? Who the hell is backchecking on odd-man surges against?

The line is ABSURD.

Really, it is.
Well, Ovechkin will have to win some board battles then. He's a big guy who can throw a bodycheck. That line would have plenty of puck possession. They wouldn't need to win lots of board battles. Who was winning board battles on the KLM line? What about the Fedorov, Bure, Mogilny line?

I wasn't thinking of chemistry as much as putting together a lineup of players I want on the team. If you want to put together better line combos, using MY choices, please feel free.

Reactions: Dingo

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
In lieu of a full team since there so much duplication, I'll put my dream starting line up

Ovechkin - Lindros - Neely

Stevens - Shore

Hextall

The ultimate combo of skill and toughness. They'll score on you at will and break every bone in your body. My ideal hockey

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
In lieu of a full team since there so much duplication, I'll put my dream starting line up

Ovechkin - Lindros - Neely

Stevens - Shore

Hextall

The ultimate combo of skill and toughness. They'll score on you at will and break every bone in your body. My ideal hockey
Would Lindros want to play with Stevens?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I got this. :)

Dickie Moore - Wayne Gretzky (C) - Jari Kurri
Ted Lindsay - Frank Nighbor - Gordie Howe
Mark Messier - Bobby Clarke - Bill Cook
Jere Lehtinen - Joe Sakic - Jarome Iginla
Red Kelly

Doug Harvey - Ray Bourque (A)
Denis Potvin (A) - Bobby Orr
Larry Robinson - Slava Fetisov
Chris Pronger

Dominik Hasek
Patrick Roy

Notes:
  • It hurt to leave off supertalented but slow big guys away from the puck and awesome one-dimensional players!
  • Richard, Kennedy, Makarov, Yzerman were on the bubble.
  • Shore and Chelios just take dumb penalties at the wrong time; they aren't dynasty material.
  • noted historical chemistry Gretz-Kurri, The Production Line wingers and Sakic-Iggy Olympic magic.
  • Orr's ice time will be strategic: we don't want him getting hurt; let others carry the checking load situations.

I don't think Nighbor would be comfortable playing between those two guys.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Mark Howe-Gretzky-Gordie Howe
Bobby Hull-Lemieux-Kurri
Ovechkin-Trottier-Bossy
Messier-Beliveau-Maurice Richard

Lidstrom-Orr
Bourque-Harvey
Potvin-Shore

Hasek and Roy

Spares: Red Kelly, Robinson, Crosby

Kelly and Robinson may need to play when Potvin & Shore get into a fight in their locker room.

Reactions: BadgerBruce

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Federov
Gretzky
Kurri

Lemieux
Francis
Jagr

Ovechkin
Crosby
Neely

Gainey
Carbonneau
Keon

Orr
Lidstrom

Robinson
Bourque

Chara
Pronger

Roy
Hasek

Last edited:

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg

Are you off your rocker, bud? The Pony Line was the highest-scoring line in the NHL for the two seasons they played together.

You must just be messing with me. ;)

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Would Lindros want to play with Stevens?
Of course. They played together on the 96 World Cup team--after some already famous battles and fights. It was pre-nuke bomb to Eric's head, but there was some bad blood already by 96.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
The next twist for this type of fun exercise is to make dream teams where you can only choose one player with a jersey number. Meaning, you could only choose between Howe or Hull Sr. for #9. Even though Bobby wore #16 for a little--his primary number ws #9. This makes things more challenging--I've done it before when bored lol.

Mr Burns

LOL U MAD BRO? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 9, 2020
The next twist for this type of fun exercise is to make dream teams where you can only choose one player with a jersey number. Meaning, you could only choose between Howe or Hull Sr. for #9. Even though Bobby wore #16 for a little--his primary number ws #9. This makes things more challenging--I've done it before when bored lol.
It's a very interesting exercise to do indeed and make it even funnier to do. For me #9 is and will always be Maurice "Rocket" Richard but I agree it would be very difficult to choose for some like #4, #9 and #19 especially.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
It's a very interesting exercise to do indeed and make it even funnier to do. For me #9 is and will always be Maurice "Rocket" Richard but I agree it would be very difficult to choose for some like #4, #9 and #19 especially.
Exactly.

4s, 9s, 7s, 19s, 88s are hard.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Bobby Hull - Wayne Gretzky - Bill Cook
Alex Ovechkin - Mario Lemieux - Eric Lindros
Bob Gainey - Bobby Clarke - Gordie Howe
Patrice Bergeron - Frank Neighbor - Pavel Bure

Bobby Orr - Larry Robinson
Ray Bourque - Nicklas Lidstrom