Your All-Time NHL Team

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
This thread is pretty simple. Put together the roster you would build if you were given the opportunity to put together a team made up of any players you want from any point in the NHL. Build it however you want. It could be the players you believe to be the greatest at their positions, the players you feel were best at their peak, personal favorites, or whatever. I'll kick it off with my picks.

First Line: Alex Ovechkin, Wayne Gretzky, Gordie Howe
Second Line: Bobby Hull, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr
Third Line: Ted Lindsay, Jean Beliveau, Maurice Richard
Fourth Line: Frank Mahovlich, Howie Morenz, Guy Lafleur

First Pair: Bobby Orr, Doug Harvey
Second Pair: Eddie Shore, Nicklas Lidstrom
Third Pair: Ray Bourque, Denis Potvin

Goaltender: Dominik Hasek, Patrick Roy

Healthy Scratches: Stan Mikita, Paul Coffey, Ken Dryden

Last edited:

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
Lemieux - Gretzky - Jagr
Ovechkin - Crosby - Howe
Hull - Forsberg - Bure

Orr - Lidstrom
Bourque - Harvey
Potvin - Chelios

Hasek

I want everyone of those guys playing 20 minutes, so I don’t need a fourth line.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Two questions:

1. When is this team playing? Today's rules? 80's rules? 90's? O6 era?

2. Am I building this team for a 1-game "winner takes all"?... or for a "best-of-7 tournament"?... or am I building a team from scratch that is looking to compete year after year?

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Two questions:

1. When is this team playing? Today's rules? 80's rules? 90's? O6 era?

2. Am I building this team for a 1-game "winner takes all"?... or for a "best-of-7 tournament"?... or am I building a team from scratch that is looking to compete year after year?

I'm not looking to create set rules for it. Basically, the concept is, whatever criteria makes it feel like "the" team to you. Mine was created from my personal view of who are the greatest players at their various positions, which is obviously pretty subjective, but if you want to follow the theme of mine when I started the post, you can go that way, but I don't think it's necessarily the only "right" way. Someone else might set it up as to how good they feel the players were at their best, and another person might build it according to which players they think would work together well. I don't want to dictate the exact parameters for everyone. Basically, build it to whichever format you prefer. More than anything I just like the idea of having thoughtful lineups that have the potential to create discussion.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I got this. :)

Dickie Moore - Wayne Gretzky (C) - Jari Kurri
Ted Lindsay - Frank Nighbor - Gordie Howe
Mark Messier - Bobby Clarke - Bill Cook
Jere Lehtinen - Joe Sakic - Jarome Iginla
Red Kelly

Doug Harvey - Ray Bourque (A)
Denis Potvin (A) - Bobby Orr
Larry Robinson - Slava Fetisov
Chris Pronger

Dominik Hasek
Patrick Roy

Notes:
  • It hurt to leave off supertalented but slow big guys away from the puck and awesome one-dimensional players!
  • Richard, Kennedy, Makarov, Yzerman were on the bubble.
  • Shore and Chelios just take dumb penalties at the wrong time; they aren't dynasty material.
  • noted historical chemistry Gretz-Kurri, The Production Line wingers and Sakic-Iggy Olympic magic.
  • Orr's ice time will be strategic: we don't want him getting hurt; let others carry the checking load situations.

Last edited:

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
I got this.

Dickie Moore - Wayne Gretzky - Jari Kurri
Ted Lindsay - Steve Yzerman - Gordie Howe
Toe Blake - Frank Nighbor - Bill Cook
Bobby Clarke -

Doug Harvey - Bobby Orr
Denis Potvin - Ray Bourque
Chris Pronger

Patrick Roy
Dominik Hasek

Undressed: Red Kelly

On smartphone, building this post as i go...
I didn’t know we could undress players. You can have Kelly, Ill take Spooner.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I'm not looking to create set rules for it. Basically, the concept is, whatever criteria makes it feel like "the" team to you. Mine was created from my personal view of who are the greatest players at their various positions, which is obviously pretty subjective, but if you want to follow the theme of mine when I started the post, you can go that way, but I don't think it's necessarily the only "right" way. Someone else might set it up as to how good they feel the players were at their best, and another person might build it according to which players they think would work together well. I don't want to dictate the exact parameters for everyone. Basically, build it to whichever format you prefer. More than anything I just like the idea of having thoughtful lineups that have the potential to create discussion.

Alrighty. In that case, I'll go with a well-rounded team comprised of some personal favorites, all-time greats, and balanced lines with defined roles.

FORWARDS
Mario Lemieux - Wayne Gretzky - Jari Kurri
Bobby Hull - Phil Esposito - Maurice Richard
Mark Messier - Peter Forsberg - Gordie Howe
Bob Gainey - Bobby Clarke - Dave Keon
*Extras: Bryan Trottier, Mats Sundin

DEFENSE
Bobby Orr - Doug Harvey
Denis Potvin - Raymond Bourque
Larry Robinson - Chris Chelios
*7th: Chris Pronger

GOALTENDERS
Patrick Roy
Dominik Hasek
*3rd: Jacques Plante

My top scoring line is headlined by the Gretz-Mario magic from Canada Cup 87 with the responsible Gretz sidekick, Kurri on the right. Second line is centered by the ultimate slot machine, Espo, flanked by two of the most determined goal scorers in history. Third line is a scoring/checking hybrid line that will be a nightmare to play against--Forsberg bookended by Mess and Gordie--this line can skate, pass, shoot, score, hit and fight if needed. My shutdown line is self-explanatory. My extras are versatile forwards in Trottier and Sundin (a personal favorite).

On defense, I'm going with a pair of the all-time greats in Orr and Harvey--followed by a "do it all" Potvin-Bourque pairing and a physical Robinson-Chelios pairing. Pronger is my 7th D and will be slotted in as/if needed... and can play on any pairing.

In goal I have two of the best in Roy and Hasek. Both could be unbeatable and fickle at the same time--so I have the calm and cool Jacques Plante on standby in the even he needs to right the ship.

Reactions: Dingo

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Slava Fetisov
The OP said "NHL players" or Fetisov would have made my club as well--but prime Red Army Fet, not homesick Devils/Wings Fet.

Great call on Fetisov though--one of most brilliant players of all-time--and one of my personal favorites.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
I'm already noticing something I find interesting in this thread. There are two selections of Lemieux and Messier at left wing. I know that Mess played the left side early in his career and that Lemieux did at times, and I do believe that left wing lacks the historical depth of other positions, but I'm interested in the thought processes behind choosing guys who typically played center to fill in the left side. Do you think that the gap between the positions' depths is more important than the familiarity and experience at the position?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I'm already noticing something I find interesting in this thread. There are two selections of Lemieux and Messier at left wing. I know that Mess played the left side early in his career and that Lemieux did at times, and I do believe that left wing lacks the historical depth of other positions, but I'm interested in the thought processes behind choosing guys who typically played center to fill in the left side. Do you think that the gap between the positions' depths is more important than the familiarity and experience at the position?

I think the quality of the center position is too much not to move guys rather than take natural positions. Similar to what team Canada does in international tournaments.

More referring to the whole "undressed" hockey players thing overall. I tend to think of guys when I think of hockey players.

I already thought it was about Ryan

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
Although I believe that Mario forechecked hard, to my eyes, in 87, he floated a ton in my memory as a Penguin. I like two way play down the middle, and I’m happy to let wingers cheat towards the offensive zone and also save their energy for offence. My team features 6 great goal scorers on wing. Wayner is not my typical center - were i to keep my outline of a Forsberg or Crosby type, it would Trottier, Clarke, Beliveau or Fedorov. However, Young Wayne had great endurance and skated hard, sneaking out interceptions and steals like Datsyuk without as strong a stick..... also, he is so much better than those four. And finally, Mario and Jagr together was the best offensive combo I’ve seen regularly, Wayne and Mario was the best I’ve seen for a short tournament. I don’t know which wing Mario played in 87, in fact I assume it was RW, however, I just let Jagr keep his spot. I figure Mario can work his magic from any forward position, really.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I'm already noticing something I find interesting in this thread. There are two selections of Lemieux and Messier at left wing. I'm interested in the thought processes behind choosing guys who typically played center to fill in the left side.

My thinking is this--Gretz and Mario were absolute titans when paired together in 87. They were both unstoppable, especially Lemieux. They also both processed the game on the same level--as did Kurri--which is why he had such wonderful chemistry with Gretz in Edmonton. The initial inclination is to give Gretz and Mario their own scoring lines, but I'm going all in. There is so much talent to choose from, I'll stack my top "dream line" with Mario on the wing and call it a day.

As for Mess--he's as versatile as you get--he can play middle and Left. In a dream team scenario like this, you can never have enough versatile forwards who are Center-capable. Foppa gets kicked out of the dot, Mess steps in. The ultimate insurance when taking a key draw. Prime Mess also loved to punish dudes in the corner--skating on the left side gets him that much closer to blowing someone up.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
My thinking is this--Gretz and Mario were absolute titans when paired together in 87. They were both unstoppable, especially Lemieux. They also both processed the game on the same level--as did Kurri--which is why he had such wonderful chemistry with Gretz in Edmonton. The initial inclination is to give Gretz and Mario their own scoring lines, but I'm going all in. There is so much talent to choose from, I'll stack my top "dream line" with Mario on the wing and call it a day.

As for Mess--he's as versatile as you get--he can play middle and Left. In a dream team scenario like this, you can never have enough versatile forwards who are Center-capable. Foppa gets kicked out of the dot, Mess steps in. The ultimate insurance when taking a key draw.
Forsberg played some left wing, too. Those two could interchange at will.

Reactions: quoipourquoi

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I think the quality of the center position is too much not to move guys rather than take natural positions. Similar to what team Canada does in international tournaments.

No doubt--as long as the player is fine suiting up on the wing--it's a great luxury to have.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Forsberg played some left wing, too. Those two could interchange at will.
Yep, exactly. Forsberg sometimes played Left in International tournaments when paired with Sundin. And Sundin could play RW too--which is why he's one of my extras--big guy, 6-5, 235.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
I got this. :)

Dickie Moore - Wayne Gretzky (C) - Jari Kurri
Ted Lindsay - Frank Nighbor - Gordie Howe
Mark Messier - Bobby Clarke - Bill Cook
Jere Lehtinen - Joe Sakic - Jarome Iginla
Red Kelly

Doug Harvey - Ray Bourque (A)
Denis Potvin (A) - Bobby Orr
Chris Pronger

Dominik Hasek
Patrick Roy

Notes:
  • It hurt to leave off supertalented but slow big guys away from the puck and awesome one-dimensional players!
  • Richard, Kennedy, Makarov, Yzerman were on the bubble.
  • Shore and Chelios just take dumb penalties at the wrong time; they aren't dynasty material.
  • noted historical chemistry Gretz-Kurri, The Production Line wingers and Sakic-Iggy Olympic magic.
  • Orr's ice time will be strategic: we don't want him getting hurt; let others carry the checking load situations.

I see a lot of things that interest me here. First, I love the respect for Frank Nighbor. Second, I like the thought that you put into your combinations. I'd say that Fetisov is eligible, considering that he did end up in the NHL, but this selection does make me wonder just what he would have looked like over here earlier in his career. Also, I'm curioius about the Jere Lehtinen selection. I can't say that I expected to see any non Hall-of-Famers come up.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Lemieux - Gretzky - Lindros
Bobby Hull - McDavid - Bure
Ovechkin - Crosby - Jagr
Yzerman - Forsberg - Sakic

Pronger - Orr
Stevens - Bourque
Potvin - Chara

Hasek

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Kharlamov - Gretzky - Howe
Hull - Lemieux - Richard
Messier - Beliveau - Lafleur
Ovechkin - Crosby - Jagr

Orr - Harvey
Lidstrom - Shore
Potvin - Bourque

Hasek
Roy

Scratches: Morenz, Lindsay, Kelly, Robinson, Sawchuk

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I'm curious about the Jere Lehtinen selection. I can't say that I expected to see any non Hall-of-Famers come up.
4th line role player.

We are building a successful team not an all-star game lackadaisical line-up.

I'd put my soul on the line with God and the Devil with that line up. It truly is what I think I could win a series with. (Though it is bothering me big time that I have Sakic-Iggy in the line-up due to chemistry over warriors Kennedy-Richard. I could go to hell for that.)

Reactions: Professor What

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Just for the record, I edited my original post to fix a couple of mistakes. I had Stan Mikita listed twice. I intended Howie Morenz on the fourth line. Then, I realized I somehow managed to leave off Maurice Richard.........................................................................................

Brain fart of all brain farts on that second one................................................................

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad