GDT: Your Albany Devils vs Toronto Marlies: Game-7

oxman44

Dec 1, 2015
Hunterdon
After having a good time watching all the ngames in both series Ive come to some conclusions about our players both the ahl vets and prospects. So im going to make a list here Clearly just my opinions. Ill ommit the obvious guys like the PL3's Pelleys etc. because, well we should know that already lol.

Players that should never sniff nhl ice again:
MAG - (EVER)
O'neil - For his size not fast or skilled enough , No thanks
P. Thomson - (although he was great this game, garbage the other 10)
Sislo - (MAYBE as a fill in a few games here and there)

Guys that were OK and Might be able to play in a limited fill- in capacity at best:
Helgeson ( and hes close to being on the previous list IMO)
Black
Kujawinski
Lorito

Guys That Showed most promise or played well enough for a tryout:
Severson - thought hed be better, but was awesome at times and made some bad plays others
Mozik - Liked his game alot, needs to shoot more as hes got a good shot
Blender - needs to get his mental game in order but clearly has the skill
Boosh - was really snakebit this series, was dangerous first round
O'Brien - was he only "AHL'er" that impressed me. good in the circle, d and o zones
Lappin - Really liking his potential, good size, decent speed and skill. Clutch
Zacha - obviously
Pietila - Great physical game and speed, showed a little finish too

everyone else that was not mentioned was just an AHL lifer, too small of a sample size or just were to meh to mention, allthough I thought Mcpherson played well just couldnt put him in the second category but he could be.

Last edited:

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
After having a good time watching all the ngames in both series Ive come to some conclusions about our players both the ahl vets and prospects. So im going to make a list here Clearly just my opinions. Ill ommit the obvious guys like the PL3's Pelleys etc. because, well we should know that already lol.

MAG - (EVER)

Guys that were OK and Might be able to play in a limited fill- in capacity at best:
Black
Kujawinski
Lorito

Severson - thought hed be better, but was awesome at times and made some bad plays others
O'Brien - was he only "AHL'er" that impressed me. good in the circle, d and o zones
Zacha - obviously

everyone else that was not mentioned was just an AHL lifer, too small of a sample size or just were to meh to mention, allthough I thought Mcpherson played well just couldnt put him in the second category but he could be.

No mention of Pietila?

kevinchoi

Sep 22, 2014
Newark

MAG - (EVER)

Black
Kujawinski
Lorito

Zacha - obviously

the fact u mentioned mcpherson makes me laugh and you forgot pietela! hes awesome

kevinchoi

Sep 22, 2014
Newark

he'll go else where unless they offer him big money and the C...6 years with the organization and not even a cup of tea the show! hes not an nhl but a recognition gmae for allt he years of service is worthy hell even the canadiens gave john scott! (nhl allstar lol) a recognition game...

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
My thought on the goals against.

Connor Brown Goal - May 16, 2016

This one is all on Gragnani. No one else to blame.

Edit: I think I may be a bit too harsh on Gragnani. He was put in a tough spot, but he shouldn't have tried to force a play.

Kasperi Kapanen Goal - May 16, 2016

Scarlett could have done better to prevent the shot, but Wedgewood needs to save this one.

Connor Carrick Goal - May 16, 2016

I'm not sure what Blandisi is doing here. All five Devils on the right side of the ice and gives up the easy backside goal.

Rich Clune Goal - May 16, 2016

Severson's a bit out of position here. The forward covered up for him, but it wasn't a good matchup.

From the leafs board.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
What an awful goal to let in to lose the series.

Just got done watching, still don't know where Scarlett & Severson were but Wedge was awful in the 3rd. Two horrendous goals against.

Obviously Sislo and JOB were nowhere near 100% which hurt.

I don't want to see Helgeson anywhere near NJ going forward.

A shame they just couldn't get to OT and had to let in such a weak goal to lose it.

Great season for the team, but I was not impressed at all with Blandisi who was awful away from the puck and didn't do much of anything offensively.

Carrick also showed much more than Severson from the blueline all series but Toronto has so much more speed and talent so the Devils deserve much praise for taking it to 7.

Felt like they gave it away late in the 3rd with that soft goal.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Thanks!

So you're saying that Warsofsky will be played, while Severson is a healthy scratch or sent to Albany? :sarcasm:

no im saying warsosky will be 8th d...called up and down, like harold was.... severson will be top 4 hes a good player guys

Harrold was never called up and down, nor the 8th D. Except for for the first 25 games of the lockout season, when he played only like one or two of the first 25 games and we had 8 D on the roster that year.

Little did I forget though, he was actually waived after camp in 14-15. Then promptly called back up when Salvador was injured for good?:laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Now, I don't really care about pissing off some AHLers, Jacobs, White and Speers would've been huge additions.

At this point I'm glad they didn't play with the **** luck our prospects have been having with injuries :rant:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wedgewood didn't have the greatest playoffs, a lot of bad goals I saw.

Which is why I wasn't sold on him after this pretty good season he had and the great 4 NHL games he had. Hopefully he continues what he did this season into next, but I'm a little worried this bad playoffs was just the numbers evening out and him regressing to the mean.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Wedgewood didn't have the greatest playoffs, a lot of bad goals I saw.

Which is why I wasn't sold on him after this pretty good season he had and the great 4 NHL games he had. Hopefully he continues what he did this season into next, but I'm a little worried this bad playoffs was just the numbers evening out and him regressing to the mean.

His was one of the key reasons this series went seven games. Hanging this on Wedge is extremely unfair and not true.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Wedge was very good on Game-1 & had an excellent Game-6.

I didn't like the 2nd goal tonight at all, nor his reaction time on the game losing goal.
But, yeah it's tough to point fingers at him as he had a tremendous season that was interrupted by injury too.

I am concerned with Blandisi's development though.
He hasn't been the same player since the diving incident.

Would have been nice to see how Zacha could have contributed tonight.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Not going to blame Wedge on the last goal. It was a broken play where the puck took a funky bounce off the boards.

9 times out of 10 that puck never ends up there.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Not going to blame Wedge on the last goal. It was a broken play where the puck took a funky bounce off the boards.

9 times out of 10 that puck never ends up there.

Especially when the shot from the point was deflected down with a high stick (uncalled) and Sevs & Scarlett were out of position.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Not impressed at all with Severson defensively, he just floats around with no urgency and often out of position, he needs to get his **** together.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
His was one of the key reasons this series went seven games. Hanging this on Wedge is extremely unfair and not true.

Just from the highlights throughout the playoffs, I saw a decent amount of goals that he wasn't allowing earlier in the season. His save percentage was also quite a bit lower this playoffs than it was during the season.

Now 12 games doesn't mean anything, it's not a large enough sample size. It's just worrying to me because his play as a pro was not very good before this season.

But the game winner wasn't a bad one to me, that was some fluky goal. Right up there with that Bieksa series winner off the stanchion for the Canucks against the Sharks in the 2011 WCF.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm hoping Wedgewood did turn a corner this season, as I really want him to at least give Kinkaid a kick in the ass during preseason and camp.

The goaltending we got from Kinkaid wasn't cutting it this year, I'd certainly welcome Wedgewood if he was able to outplay him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad