Your 3 bad Islander episodes that solidified you bleed orange, white ane blue?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I guess I can see why 1979 hurts, but how come nobody is bringing up 1994? That year we played the Rags in the playoffs after an encouraging 93' run. We got swept by the Rags, and I think we lost two of the games 6-0. Ron Hextall was an absolute sieve. That playoff series is probably the worst ever in franchise history and to make matters worse the Rags went on to break our favorite chant. So in my opinion that is way worse than 79. WAAAAY WORSE!

I brought up 1994 at the top of the last page.

But having lived through the embarrassment of 1979, 1994 feels like a mosquito bite.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I brought up 1994 at the top of the last page.

But having lived through the embarrassment of 1979, 1994 feels like a mosquito bite.

I was a tad too young in 79 (8 years old) but felt the pain from my Dad. I do recall the rangers in the Sasoon commercial. Geez how pathetic. My image of 79 is JD playing above his head the Isles dejected at the garden after the series. Potvin and co leaning on the boards stunned.

in 94, man was Hextall terrible, Leetch, Messier and Kovalev just smoked us. If I recall 2 of the wins were for 6-0 blanks.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I was a tad too young in 79 (8 years old) but felt the pain from my Dad. I do recall the rangers in the Sasoon commercial. Geez how pathetic. My image of 79 is JD playing above his head the Isles dejected at the garden after the series. Potvin and co leaning on the boards stunned.

in 94, man was Hextall terrible, Leetch, Messier and Kovalev just smoked us. If I recall 2 of the wins were for 6-0 blanks.

Yup. We were just flat out outplayed in 1994 and Hextall was awful.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
1) Game 1 of 1984 SCF. We win that game, we win 5 straight Cups.

2) Game 5 of 1984 SCF. I was just finishing 3rd grade, still 8 years old, this was my realization that "you don't always win"

3) Game 6 of 1988 Patrick Division semi. We lost to the Devils. The GD Devils! We scrambled in the 3rd period to make it 6-5 from 6-1, and Pat LaFontaine almost scored in the final second. Sean Burke was a horrible human being for playing so well. This was also Denis Potvin's last game, and not coincidentally, the beginning of the end for this franchise as far as having a stoically winning culture goes.

Last edited:

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
when garth snow refused to trade travis hamonic for taylor hall

I'm sure there's more to this than we are privy to. Maybe it was Hamonic plus and garth didn't wanna give up anymore than Hamonic. The oilers may have valued Larsson more than they valued Hamonic, so they took Larsson straight up. Larsson had a pretty good year for them last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad