Your 3 bad Islander episodes that solidified you bleed orange, white ane blue?

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Might as well start a meaningless summer time Islander thread

Back in the dynasty era. The 4th cup run in the Finals vrs the Hot Shot Oilers . Think it was Game 1. Thomas Jonsson our small skilled swede d-man was on the PP cruising through the neutral zone with his head down and a freight train #11 a young Messier with hair and something to proved hit him with a vicious elbow. Too lazy to youtube it but man did that make my 50 lb 11 year body bow up and want to fight the moose himself. I remember screaming at the TV. If I recall Messier didnt even get a penalty. Times were differant than

#2 Going to the draft party 2000 I believe (sorry I am pathetic), when we traded luongo and drafted Ricky the Kid from Boston. Thought he looked like Herman Munster's kid . I was a pretty angry young adult that day.

#3 This one is comical. Back in 2006 I moved and built this house on 2 acres in Northeast Florida in the Suburbs of Jacksonville, FL. Anway, just had to get my center ice package on comcast. Remember the night Simon hacked Hollweg from the ragies? Ref gave us a 5 minute major to which the blue shirts scored and we lost a huge game. No doubt it was a penalty but I remember screaming and just whailing the couch with my pitching wedge. How could it be such injustice! It was not that bad! Ref, there is 5 minutes to go, let them play it out! My wife at the time thought I was nuts and I realized the day after that probably no one within 1000 miles cared about my rather annoying situation

there are a ton more but thought I would share

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
The fact that we continue to watch these sacks of feces even though they haven't done squat in almost 30 years says it all.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
No specific order

Hunter hit on Turgeon
Tucker hit on Peca

You want bad, staying up for an 11pm start on a school night to watch the Isles on a 13" black and white tv
Play the Kings in their Purple and Gold uniforms back in the 70's. Show me another elementary
school kid to do that.

You want bad. Neil Smith hired , Neil Smith fired

Let's name our goalie as GM

Kevin Colley breaks his neck in a game vs Washinton . That kid had balls on the ice . What a shame .

Dale Purinton sucker punches Cairns then turtles

how bout this - when Visnovsky refused the trade here . I was like F him and I was proud of my team.
I don't care how they twisted the story later . He did not want to play here.
Same with Nabokov. F him too.

Can't leave out 2/11/11. Look it up .
Soooo bad but soooo good.

We play on the Rangers named TV network . Could it be worse.
They took Billy Jaffe away from us to call Rangers games
They took Deb Placey away from us to go to the Devils . Both were good
Having to look at and listen to Butch Goring - BAD JUST BAD.

More than 3 .Oops I Did It Again .
I'll think up some old school ones

Last edited:

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
You want bad, staying up for an 11pm start on a school night to watch the Isles on a 13" black and white tv
Play the Kings in their Purple and Gold uniforms back in the 70's. Show me another elementary
school kid to do that.

I can do you one better. I did the same thing but our building in Queens didn't get hooked up to cable until 1993! So I watched what I could on channel 9 and WHT and the rest I would listen to on my radio. Not only that but I would record the games on tape cassette and play them back listening to the highlights.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Yes WOR channel 9
Before there was a thing called Sportschannel

After the game the channel would play the national anthem then shut off for the night . Just static

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
3 things? Try 3 decades of grief no normal person ever puts up with.

We are beyond abused. We are the victims of a german sheisse movie.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
No specific order

Hunter hit on Turgeon
Tucker hit on Peca

school kid to do that.

You want bad. Neil Smith hired , Neil Smith fired

Let's name our goalie as GM

Kevin Colley breaks his neck in a game vs Washinton . That kid had balls on the ice . What a shame .

Dale Purinton sucker punches Cairns then turtles

how bout this - when Visnovsky refused the trade here . I was like F him and I was proud of my team.
I don't care how they twisted the story later . He did not want to play here.
Same with Nabokov. F him too.

Can't leave out 2/11/11. Look it up .
Soooo bad but soooo good.

We play on the Rangers named TV network . Could it be worse.
They took Deb Placey away from us to go to the Devils . Both were good
Having to look at and listen to Butch Goring - BAD JUST BAD.

More than 3 .Oops I Did It Again .
I'll think up some old school ones

Kevin Colley.....ahhhhhh the mad irishman

that kid had guts...

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

Billy Jaffe was not renewed by the network (probably at the behest of Wang as Billy didn't sugar coat it when the Isles played like ****). Joe Micheletti was taken off the Isles for the Rangers. Billy Jaffe replaced him.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Billy Jaffe was not renewed by the network (probably at the behest of Wang as Billy didn't sugar coat it when the Isles played like ****). Joe Micheletti was taken off the Isles for the Rangers. Billy Jaffe replaced him.

Yes yes yes Joe M . I goofed

Thank you

MartyC

Jul 15, 2013
Listening to John Sterling on the radio....
"Islander goal Islander goal islander goal."
'75 or '76 losing to Blues by a bunch, they tied it -maybe went ahead-
12 year old running around the house at 11 at night.....dad was pissed, thought we
were being robbed or house was on fire.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
A low point was when the isles were trying to auction Ziggy Palffy off to the Rangers for a couple of solid pieces and extending the cable deal.

The Luongo deal made me so pissed.I have never disliked a gm more then Milbury.

Wang's stubborn refusal to remove Milbury, despite the team's lack of on ice success was also frustrating.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
A low point was when the isles were trying to auction Ziggy Palffy off to the Rangers for a couple of solid pieces and extending the cable deal.

The Luongo deal made me so pissed.I have never disliked a gm more then Milbury.

Wang's stubborn refusal to remove Milbury, despite the team's lack of on ice success was also frustrating.

man that's right, forgot about the Ziggy potential firesale to the rangers.......geez that was close..

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Code:
Listening to John Sterling on the radio....
"Islander goal Islander goal islander goal."
'75 or '76 losing to Blues by a bunch, they tied it -maybe went ahead-
12 year old running around the house at 11 at night.....dad was pissed, thought we
were being robbed or house was on fire.

funny and now I'm that dad trying to calm my 9 year old at 11 pm as well

listening to Isles games on radio was outstanding for a kid. Up and down action all night it sounded like

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
1- Lanny McDonald's 1978 game 7 quarterfinal overtime winner for the Leafs over Chico's shoulder. The Isles were expected to go far into the playoffs. I hacked my mylec goal into several pieces and threw it into my pool. Then sobbed for hours.

2- Hunter's cheap shot on Turgeon.

3- Hiring Don Maloney as GM.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I had a bad black and white TV and had to watch Isles games (when televised on Channel 9) on that, and remember being up until 12:30 on a school night and seeing Walt McKechnie and the California Golden Seals beat us, the only team that was typically as bad as us.

My 10 in order

1) Lanny McDonald... that goal ouch
2) Dan Cloutier nearly murdering Tommy Salo
3) Trading Pierre Turgeon or a jack arse
4) Brad Dalgarno's hopes going down with a Joey Kocur punch
5) Seeing Glenn Healy in a Rags jersey after leading the Isles for a run
6) Trading Billy Harris (sad to see him go) we win the trade and the cup though
7) Peca going down to dirty hit
8) Turgeon being cheapshotted by Hunter
9) Dipietro getting his face broken by Johnson
10) Steve Sterling

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I just have one:

I believe it was 1997 or so and a friend wanted to go to a game. I laughed because the Islanders were so bad at the time. I told him I would just watch it at home. He showed me a a flyer where you could get tickets for $7 with a student ID. So I agreed, but I wore a paper bag over my head with eye and mouth holes. Watched the entire game with it on and as I was leaving walking through the concourse a guy came up to me and laughed and said, "that's great!" and shook my hand. I took off the bag and said you'll laugh even harder because I'm your neighbor. He lived just around the corner from me. That whole three year span was dark, dark days.

msv957

Aug 3, 2005
1- The goal by Messier when the Oilers beat the Isles in the finals. Messier was just blew by the defense and I think undressed Potvin and sniped it past Smitty... Right there I realized the dynasty could be over

2- Turgeon trade was just awful...

3- Trading Tonelli was a big reminder that things are changing

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Years of mismanagement by owners, GMs, and coaches.

Countless choices, where do I even begin.

Overall the lean years with an 18 million dollar payroll.

Followed by mediocrity during the Yash Peca years.

Followed now by more mediocrity.

Draftman

Feb 28, 2002
Long Island, NY
Visit site
Might as well start a meaningless summer time Islander thread

#2 Going to the draft party 2000 I believe (sorry I am pathetic), when we traded luongo and drafted Ricky the Kid from Boston. Thought he looked like Herman Munster's kid . I was a pretty angry young adult that day.

I was one angry old bugger that day. Plus, drafting Scissons in 1990. I knew on draft day that was a big mistake.

Also:

Spano

Fishsticks

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
school kid to do that.

We had 1 TV and it was in the basement. I was allowed to lay in bed and listen to games on the radio. I was allowed to come down and watch the Nystrom OT, though. School was out, if I remember.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
We had 1 TV and it was in the basement. I was allowed to lay in bed and listen to games on the radio. I was allowed to come down and watch the Nystrom OT, though. School was out, if I remember.

Wasn't that goal in the daytime... that year was surreal for hockey with the Olympic win and then Isles win... remember that game being a day game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad