Your 1st round picks since 2014

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
Couldn't decide between Ehlers and Ritchie, but when the pick was just about to be made I was praying for Ehlers. I was okay with Virtanen, but he was my fourth choice.

Boeser

Tkachuk (but happy with Juolevi)

Glass (but happy with Pettersson)

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Surprised no one has said pastrnak yet.. he was picked 2 picks after us in 2014

It's not surprising at all. He wasn't really on the mainstream radar at the time. It was mostly Barbashev/Sherback/Ho Sang/McCann being discussed IIRC.

Ehlers + McCann (as above, didn't really know Pastranak, and with the 6 we needed highest skill possible. Monumental failure of a pick)

Konecny (didn't really know too much about Boeser but grew to love Boeser really quickly)

Tkachukâ€â€Took the wrong player from the London Knights. I'm *OK* with Juolevi, but drafting him at 5 is really poor value. Don't think he's going to be the top D man to come out of his class despite being the first D picked.

Pettersonâ€â€Great pick.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Excellent thread! I wanted:

Ehlers and Barbashev
(unsure)
Tkachuk. Was devastated at this pick like most of you
Vilardi..I'm a fan of EP though, so this pick was slightly easier to forgive.

Skriko

Jul 27, 2014
Took the wrong player from the London Knights. I'm *OK* with Juolevi, but drafting him at 5 is really poor value. Don't think he's going to be the top D man to come out of his class despite being the first D picked.
I have watched Olli until the age of 15 and I was a "fan" until last year: I dont't know what happened, but he still has a lot of time to develop - hopefully he go to TPS (with the Salo) and develop next season. He still has all the talent to be 1:st pair dmen in NHL.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
2014: 6th overall- Ehlers
10th overall(Kesler trade if done right) - Fiala
24th overall - Was hoping for Fabbri or Milano to fall but was happy with McCann

2015 - Boeser or Konecny
2016 - Tkachuk
2017 - Pettersson

Ehlers - Pettersson - Dahlen
Tkachuk - Horvat - Boeser

If we had 10 I would have taken Fabbri. I was super high on him and Sanhiem. Was happy with McCann even though I wanted Barbashev.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
I have watched Olli until the age of 15 and I was a "fan" until last year: I dont't know what happened, but he still has a lot of time to develop - hopefully he go to TPS (with the Salo) and develop next season. He still has all the talent to be 1:st pair dmen in NHL.

I agree that this is by far the best path for him. Salo is one of the smartest two way Canucks defenseman Ive had the pleasure of watching. Couldn't think of a better mentor for him moving ahead

Skriko

Jul 27, 2014
I agree that this is by far the best path for him. Salo is one of the smartest two way Canucks defenseman Ive had the pleasure of watching. Couldn't think of a better mentor for him moving ahead
Yep, i think if Olli training in Turku, he will get the best training what is possible to get. Salo teach him what it is to be NHL dmen and Hannu Rautala practice physics trainingh.

https://www.aamulehti.fi/urheilu/pa...hirmuraudat-tottelevat-maalitykkia-200177612/

I know that Juolevi's development means a lot to Finnish ice hockey, so they done everything to a good result.

Last edited:

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Yep, i think if Olli training in Turooku, he will get the best training what is possible to get. Salo teach him what it is to be NHL dmen and Hannu Rautala practice physics trainingh.

https://www.aamulehti.fi/urheilu/pa...hirmuraudat-tottelevat-maalitykkia-200177612/

I know that Juolevi's development means a lot to Finnish ice hockey, so they done everything to a good result.

Thanks for this info! I was really impressed by how clearly and effectively Salo taught when he was a guest coach during the prospects camp. This gives me lots of hope regarding Olli

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
2014: talked myself into Virtanen fully knowing Nylander was the better prospect.
2015: Boeser
2016: Tkachuk
2017: Glass

same as me. Even said as much......didn't think the gap would be this huge and was happy with Jake at the time.

2014 - Virtanen (see above)
2014 - McCann (was really bullish on Jared must have watched a half dozen SSmarie games and loved his potential literally fist pumping in the car)
2015 - Konecny (Was ok with Boeser but i really liked Travis' skating more at the time)
2016 - Tkachuk (Was screaming at my TV)
2017 - Necas (Wanted to trade down in fairness to me.....EP was probably the right pick at 5 i didnt want anything to do with Vilardi or Glass.)

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Nylander, didn't really pay attention too much in 2015 but was very happy when Boeser slipped to us, Tkachuk, and this year I wanted Vilardi or Peterson.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
2014: Nylander & Barbashev (though McCann was a close 2nd)
2015: Nick Merkley (I missed the boat on that one)
2016: Tkachuk (had Juolevi right behind)
2017: Vilardi (had Pettersson next)

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Ehlers / Barbashev (although I would have accepted Nylander / McCann)
Konecny
Tkachuk
???? - I had no idea who I wanted because I didn't know the prospects well enough. Most of this board had me convinced of Glass, though. So probably him?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
2014: Think I had either Ritchie or Nylander. PReached patience though when Virtanen was picked (my preaching has ended in this regard. Put up or shut up time). Couldn't tell you about the 24th overall other than I thought it should have been higher given the asset on the ice Kesler was.

2015: Was fine with Boeser. Late first round picks I'm happy as long as the team doesn't go off the board and they didn't.

2016: Tkachuk. Should have been a no brainer. That said, I noted at the time leading to the draft I had the belief that Benning was going to pick a D-man based on his interviews on 1040. I figured Sergachev or Chychrun should have been that target.

This past draft...I'll be honest and say I lost so much interest in what this team was doing I didn't even have a preference if they weren't picking first or second. Given Vilardi seemed to fall to them I'm a bit shocked they passed over him. But given the draft this year Pettersson doesn't seem a huge reach. Time will tell if the correct pick was made.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
It's strange that people are picking guys who were drafted before our drafting position, like Makar and Dubois.

Depends on what they're answering. I put down the picks I was hoping for in the days leading up to the draft, some of which ended up going before our pick. Similarly I didn't put down Konecny because I never expected he'd be available at 23.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Depends on what they're answering. I put down the picks I was hoping for in the days leading up to the draft, some of which ended up going before our pick. Similarly I didn't put down Konecny because I never expected he'd be available at 23.

I saw the question as one where you compare whether or not we would be better off than what we ended up getting. Which kind of defeats the purpose if we're listing guys who were never retroactively possible picks in the first place.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Nylander
Barbashev
Konecny
Tkachuk
Vilardi

This is exactly what I had too although I do like the Pettersson pick as well. But I had Nichuskin over Bo the year before which would have been a disaster.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I saw the question as one where you compare whether or not we would be better off than what we ended up getting. Which kind of defeats the purpose if we're listing guys who were never retroactively possible picks in the first place.

To be fair the thread title is simply "Your picks since 2014." Can be taken a few ways.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
2014:
6 - Ehlers, I was high on him in 2013 and thought for sure he'd climb too high for us to take when he came over to Halifax.
24 - McCann or Barbashev, was very high on Barbashev but McCann climbed like a rocket to end the year and showed incredible talent.
2015:
23 - Travis Konecny, he's a firecracker. Exceptional hands and skill, plays likes he's 6'3. Horvats cousin too.
2016:
5 - Matt Tkachuk. This pick should have been a no brainer.
2017:
5 - Gabriel Vilardi, powerhouse along the walls. Great talent. That said, I wanted Pettersson very badly. I would have tried to trade down for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad