Your 1st round picks since 2014

Dissonance

Feb 27, 2002
Cabbage Patch
Visit site
Kind of amazing that not a soul here had Pastrnak on their radar in 2014 and he's currently looking like one of the best players from that draft (and wasn't really an off-the-board pick, either; McKenzie had him at #22, Button at #25).

Not a criticism, I certainly didn't have a clue who he was and was swayed by the Barbashev hype at #24. Just funny how these things shake out.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Still can't believe Gabe fell to stinking LA at 11. Lot of GMS will regret this

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Kind of amazing that not a soul here had Pastrnak on their radar in 2014 and he's currently looking like one of the best players from that draft (and wasn't really an off-the-board pick, either; McKenzie had him at #22, Button at #25).

Not a criticism, I certainly didn't have a clue who he was and was swayed by the Barbashev hype at #24. Just funny how these things shake out.

Barbashev has lived up to the hype though. A two way beast, plays as hard and tough as anyone.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Barbashev has lived up to the hype though. A two way beast, plays as hard and tough as anyone.

Speaking of St. Louis picks, I think Dunn will show everyone how good he is this year, brilliant skater and offensive player, also plays hard in his own zone. They also took Robbie Thomas, another one of my favorite prospects.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.

Some scouts, like Pronman IIRC, were quite high on Pastrnak and talked about how his underlying (and overlying) statistics compared very favourably to Nylander, the general belief at the time was that he performed at the benefit of Willie.

To be frank, Pasta and Willie are a huge part of why I was so high on Pettersson all season. The Allsvenskan is a legit league for U18 guys in regards to showing upside.

westvandal

Sep 18, 2008
I was all about Ehlers, and a bit about Nylander in 2014. Virtanen, at the time was a distant third but I was ok with the pick. I loved the McCann pick at the time.

I was working heavily during the lead up to 2015 so I was kinda checked out of my usual research...Boeser seemed like a good pick then and still seems like it!

I liked Joulevi in 2016, but was super hoping to get one of Dubois or Tkachuk.

I love the Petersson pick.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
2014 Ritchie and McCann
2015 Jeremy Roy
2016 P.L Dubois
2017 Makar and or Pettersson.

LovemyNucks

May 26, 2009
England
2014 Virtanen (if not available Nylander) and Ho Sang as he was still available at that time
2015 Barzal
2016 Dubois (if not available Tkachuk)
2017 Pettersson (if not available Liljegren)

I remember posting a pipe dream before this year's draft saying something to the effect of if only JB could get Pettersson and Liljegren this draft I'd defend him to the death. How good would have the 1st plus Kapanen for Tanev looked then? JB would have taken him for sure. Not to be though #Nucklyfe

Scholarships

10 Piece
Apr 3, 2016
6th - Nylander. Would have been okay with Ehlers but Nylander was my guy.
24th - Pastrnak. One of the few picks I was bang on with :laugh: . I really wanted Fabbri but he went. Pastrnak oozed skill but was undersized and not talked about much in the media. A real under the radar guy that didn't get talked much in comparison to other guys like Ho-Sang. He was one of the skilled picks that I think teams should draft in the 20s range.

23 - Konecny. My thoughts are pretty similar to others. Although, to be honest I will admit that I didn't watch/scout this draft year much. My opinion is mostly off of consensus rather than what I've seen in game (unlike 2014)

5 - Tkachuk. He had some concerns at the time (skating, and the is he a product of Marner/Dvorak line narrative) but he was BPA for me. I wanted Puljujarvi and to a lesser extent PLD but they went. Post-draft I convinced myself that Juolevi was a good which remains to be seen.

5 - Pettersson. I was pretty high on Vilardi (I still think he should have went higher) but Pettersson has the huge potential that couldn't be ignored. I would have been okay with either Pettersson or Vilardi. I could have also convinced myself of Mittlestadt and Glass too haha

Last edited:

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
2014: Fleury
2015: Konecny
2016: Keller (My most confident pick, and I believe he will be the 3rd best player from that draft)
2017: Petterrsson

Last edited:

Nov 1, 2011
2014: Ritchie + Barbashev
2015: Konecny
2016: Tkachuk
2017: Glass

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Ehlers, although I tried to get on board with the virtanen pick as I wanted a hometown hero to cheer for.

Barbashev, although I was fine with McCann.

Boeser, although I was tempted by the falling Konecny, who should never have been available to us. Am very happy with Boeser. Hope he proves me right.

My main goal was to get a D in this round of the draft. I would have preferred trading down, but that's not exactly realistic. Juolevi was my #1 guy tho I would have been fine with the others. I wasn't on the Tkachuk bandwagon at all because we already had Virtanen, who is a very similar player. I think Olli will be a great Canuck.

I thought Petterson was the best player in the 17 draft and was very happy when we took him. Yay!

Dissonance

Feb 27, 2002
Cabbage Patch
Visit site
Some scouts, like Pronman IIRC, were quite high on Pastrnak and talked about how his underlying (and overlying) statistics compared very favourably to Nylander, the general belief at the time was that he performed at the benefit of Willie.

To be frank, Pasta and Willie are a huge part of why I was so high on Pettersson all season. The Allsvenskan is a legit league for U18 guys in regards to showing upside.

Oh interesting. Seems like this is a pretty common occurrence: When you have two top prospects playing together, scouts sometimes struggle to figure out which linemate is actually driving the play and who's carrying who. I wonder if that hurt Pastrnak's stock a bit (though reading back on draft reports at the time, it seems like people were also worried about his poor defensive play and season-ending concussion, which is fair enough).

IIRC this was an issue with Brad Richards and Vincent Lecavalier when they played together in Rimouski — people thought Richards was a product of Lecavalier rather than a star player in his own right. And it came up a bit in 2014 with the question of whether Drouin was carrying Ehlers or not, though obviously it didn't hurt Ehlers' draft position too badly.

Kuzmenkshow

Big smile, big hair, big time player
Jun 21, 2006
Kelowna, BC
2014 - Nylander or Ehlers/Barbashev
2015 - Konecny
2016 - Tkachuk
2017 - I was pretty happy with a number of guys here, just really wanted a center. Glass or Petersson were probably my top choices.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
2014 - Nylander or Ehlers/Barbashev
2015 - Konecny
2016 - Tkachuk
2017 - I was pretty happy with a number of guys here, just really wanted a center. Glass or Petersson were probably my top choices.

The only draft that really stings is 2014.....really thought the Canucks had hit it out of the park with Virtanen, McCann, Demko and Tryamkin....but today, not so much.

Boeser was clearly the best pick for them in 2015 considering where they drafted in bottom half of the first round....And I'm a lot less hung up on the Tkachuk-Juolevi pick than many posters.....Juolevi is a legit top-four d-man... and pumped for the Pettersson pick in '017

And grabbing Goldobin ('014) and Dahlen ('016) mitigates some of the other 'misses' in the draft.....but it's still a 'mixed bag' for the Canucks, which is pretty well the story with lots of NHL teams who would probably do things differently if they all had a draft 'do-over'.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Speaking of St. Louis picks, I think Dunn will show everyone how good he is this year, brilliant skater and offensive player, also plays hard in his own zone. They also took Robbie Thomas, another one of my favorite prospects.

I'll look out for him, thanks for the heads up...their drafting is really top class. Always a contender and still draft better than most lottery teams. Loved the Thomas pick. He has a really Horvat type feel to his game. I think he breaks out big time this year with a bigger offensive role

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC

Yeah in 2014 I had McCann in my top 15, close to my top 10, was really surprised to see him at our pick. Really sad he hasn't worked out as I loved his play in juniors.

In 2015 I had Dunn in my top 15 and was absolutely flabberghasted to see him slide to 56th.

Didn't really have one of those guys in 2016. Guess I was surprised Adam Fox went out of the top 2 rounds

But yeah St. Louis picks super well, their scouting staff is top notch and every year they grab a few guys who I really thought would go earlier and they work out

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
To be fair the thread title is simply "Your picks since 2014." Can be taken a few ways.

Fair enough, technically it can be interpreted any way, but I do think that thinking about it in that sense makes the thread question seem more pointless and a bizarre one to ask. What hindsight interest can be gained from compiling a list of players that fans wanted to draft over the past few years but actually couldn't because the team turned out not to be in position to do so anyways? It only seems like a sensible question to ask as a "how well have your assessments fared?" thread, to me.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Fair enough, technically it can be interpreted any way, but I do think that thinking about it in that sense makes the thread question seem more pointless and a bizarre one to ask. What hindsight interest can be gained from compiling a list of players that fans wanted to draft over the past few years but actually couldn't because the team turned out not to be in position to do so anyways? It only seems like a sensible question to ask as a "how well have your assessments fared?" thread, to me.

Sure but you can also do the same with guys that you thought/hoped would be available but were nabbed earlier. I mean unless people are writing down names like Matthews or Ekblad then it's probably just as good an indication of your "drafting prowess" in hindsight. I put down Guryanov as one of my picks in 2015 cause I had hoped he'd be there at 23. The fact that he went earlier doesn't change that he's not looking great as a pick for me :(

Conversely I didn't put Konecny down because I never expected him to be there at 23 and so saying I "wanted him" isn't really indicative of my pre draft targets.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

It is odd. Not to toot my own horn, but he was certainly on my radar in 2014 and he was definitely in my range for pick 24. Like Nylander, it should have been obvious he was the real deal based on his level of play in Sweden on pro teams.

As for the topic of the thread:

2014: Nylander, Scherbak (yah I messed that one up b/c I read an article about his IPP, I did have Pastrnak as my #2 at that spot but you can only choose one so...oh well.)

2015: Beauvillier (Was Mr. Do-it-all in Junior, by far the best player on his team and insane high danger shot rates)

2016: Keller (so skilled, so good, I think I'll be vindicated on this one)

2017: Vilardi (Just a very smart, possession dominant guy)

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

The fact that nobody is listing Pastrnak has me pretty confident that these are the guys people actually wanted, not just drafting with hindsight by picking the best player another team found later in the draft.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
When Benning took over. Thought it'd be fun to see.

2014: Ritchie, Ho-Sang
2015: Dunn
2016: Tkachuk
2017: Mittelstadt

I would have missed out on Boeser but overall I like these players better than the ones we got.

2014: Trade up for Sam Reinhart depending on offer.
2015: Brandon Carlo
2016: Pierre Luc Dubois first choice. Matthew Tkachuk if Dubois got selected.
2017: Heiskanen as first choice. Glass as 2nd choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad