Your 1st round picks since 2014

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
2014....Nylander
2015....Didn't really have a player in mind..was still cheesed off about the Calgary playoff loss
2016...Tkachuk....PLD was my first choice.
2017....Glass

Reactions: AlexEdler23

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
To Buffalo: both first round picks, Thatcher Demko To Vancouver: 2nd overall

2014: Sam Reinhart
2015: Travis Konecny
2016: Clayton Keller

To Vegas: 5th overall, 2nd round, pick 2017, Jordan Subban To Vancouver: 13th and 15th overall

2017: Cal Foote, Tim Liljegen

These were my honest wants at the time, if this had been done we would have Reinhart and Horvat as our centers of the present forming the nucleus of our new core. Konecy and Keller could both be in Utica for one more year, laying waste to the AHL, then once brought up could play wing till injuries happened, then they slot in at center. But we would have FOUR centers to anchor our forward group for years, and the also in Utica we would have two D prospects on their way to being impact players in the near future.

My draft philosophy is simple BCA (Best center available) than in years where you feel you are stocked with centers you try and grab as many first round D men as possible, here I go for quantity over quality, they need to be first round material, but unless there is a sure thing where you are picking go for as many defensemen as possible, trade down if someone has two late 1sts, or keep yours and acquire assets during the year to flip for a late first. Again it must be MULTIPLE defencemen of late first round pedigree, then see which ones rise to the occasion.

If you can help it, NEVER take wingers or goaltenders in the first round, and unless it's the 2nd coming of Ray Bourque, don't take D-men with high picks, trade down and get a few.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Surprised no one has said pastrnak yet.. he was picked 2 picks after us in 2014

Yeah, In hindsight it's a good pick, but I don't remember hearing much about him at the time, plus isn't he a college guy? I'm always suspicious that they will play out their school years earn the degree and then go U.F.A, why Bosser didn't do it I have no idea, he could be working on his degree and becoming the undisputed best prospect outside the NHL right now.

Instead, Travis Green appears to be punishing him for being a talented prospect who is going to succeed at becoming an NHL scoring star, It would seem that Green wants to grind on him at but for being able to succeed where green was a failure.

"So, he thinks he's going to come into this league and just SCORE huh? Ha! ....what? He already did? How many goals in how many games?.......huh....and how many does he have this preseason?.....oh.....well tell that arrogant little punk he's BENCHED, you can't just come into the league and SCORE, If I couldn't do it then neither can HE!"

Sad when a team feels it has to humble it's best young players, especially the one who ALREADY HUMBLE

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
When Benning took over. Thought it'd be fun to see.

2014: Ritchie, Ho-Sang
2015: Dunn
2016: Tkachuk
2017: Mittelstadt

I would have missed out on Boeser but overall I like these players better than the ones we got.

I don't believe half the people here who say they would have taken him, he was off the radar and a US Colledge player to boot.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
I don't remember there being any talk at all about Petterson prior to the pick, he wasn't even on my radar, nobody mentioned him so I never thought about him.

I still say he's waaaay to much Henrik and not enough Towes, does this team want presidents trophies or Stanley Cups?

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
I don't remember there being any talk at all about Petterson prior to the pick, he wasn't even on my radar, nobody mentioned him so I never thought about him.

I still say he's waaaay to much Henrik and not enough Towes, does this team want presidents trophies or Stanley Cups?

Easy big fella. We're more than happy w one of these bad boys
participant.jpg

ItalianCanuck1

Italian Canuck
Mar 8, 2016
Italy
Great thread.

2014: Nylander
2015: didn't follow the prospect class that year
2016: Tkachuk
2017: Petterson (change my mind a week before the draft, my first choice after the lottery was Mittlestadt)

Blueangel1891

Nov 24, 2007
Belgium
Nylander or Ehlers. Was fine with Virtanen at the time though.
Konecny, but really happy with Boeser
Tkachuk. It really was a no-brainer.
Glass or Necas, but still loved Pettersson because he probably has the highest ceiling

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I don't believe half the people here who say they would have taken him, he was off the radar and a US Colledge player to boot.

Who, Boeser? Not off the radar at all. We had a mock draft thread in 2015 and most had him in the top 30, a few of us (me :D) even had him as our pick. Of course no one expected Konecny to be sitting there at 23 either so that’s likely skewing some people’s original picks.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
the only one i had a strong opinion of was the virtanen pick. of the guys available at that spot i had him fourth, behind ritchie, ehlers, and nylander in that order.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Yeah, In hindsight it's a good pick, but I don't remember hearing much about him at the time, plus isn't he a college guy? I'm always suspicious that they will play out their school years earn the degree and then go U.F.A, why Bosser didn't do it I have no idea, he could be working on his degree and becoming the undisputed best prospect outside the NHL right now.

Instead, Travis Green appears to be punishing him for being a talented prospect who is going to succeed at becoming an NHL scoring star, It would seem that Green wants to grind on him at but for being able to succeed where green was a failure.

"So, he thinks he's going to come into this league and just SCORE huh? Ha! ....what? He already did? How many goals in how many games?.......huh....and how many does he have this preseason?.....oh.....well tell that arrogant little punk he's BENCHED, you can't just come into the league and SCORE, If I couldn't do it then neither can HE!"

Sad when a team feels it has to humble it's best young players, especially the one who ALREADY HUMBLE

tbf, travis green put up a point a game in ‘96 and followed that up with 23 goals and 64 points in the first DPE season, finishing second on the admittedly crappy islanders both years behind ziggy palffy.

green wasn’t a star but he could score. for ex, if jake ends up that good, aren’t we all doing cartwheels?

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
2014 Nylander, McCann (not sure I'd have wanted McCann after Nylander because of their similarity, but after Virtanen would have taken McCann where he was taken)
2015 I was high on Beauvillier but if had taken Nylander/McCann in 2014 this would probably have been Juulsen
2016 Tkachuk. Sergachev was a close 2nd choice, 3rd choice was Chychrun.
2017 Glass, with Mittelstadt the next choice. I don't mind swinging for the fences with Pettersson as a high risk/high reward gamble but it really hadn't occurred to me until after he was picked.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
2014: Jake Virtanen
2015: Brandon Carlo
2016: Matthew Tkachuk
2017: Cody Glass

Not the most skilled group, but I value grit a lot.​

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
My personal picks at the time.
2014 - Nylander & Scherbak
2015 - Roslovic (although I was *REALLY* sad we didn't trade up to grab Barzal - I was waiting for it so hard when they announced there was a trade - thought for sure our pick + Lack+ was going to Edmonton)
2016 - Tkachuk.
2017 - Mittlestadt

Last edited:

Sheik Yerbouti

Sep 12, 2008
2014 - Ritchie
2015 - Didn't pay attention
2016 - Tkachuk
2017 - Vilardi

We definitely would have had some serious grit in our lineup, not as much skill and speed though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->