Post-Game Talk: YoungStars - Canucks go 2-1; def. Flames 7-1, def. Oilers 5-2, lose to Jets 3-2 in an SO.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Hi everyone- is McWard expected to make the NHL team or play in the AHL? He's a local guy so I'm really looking forward to tracking his career!
AHL is very likely.

i don't think both hirose and wolanin make the lineup to start the season because there's a lot of overlap there.

he looked limited with his puck skills and overall in need of pro experience. he's also a bit younger for a college FA so i think that they'll want to get him reps in the AHL

even if we would benefit from his size in the lineup, you would assume juulsen and brisebois slot higher in the depth chart. especially juulsen.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
AHL is very likely.

i don't think both hirose and wolanin make the lineup to start the season because there's a lot of overlap there.

he looked limited with his puck skills and overall in need of pro experience. he's also a bit younger for a college FA so i think that they'll want to get him reps in the AHL

even if we would benefit from his size in the lineup, you would assume juulsen and brisebois slot higher in the depth chart. especially juulsen.
I wonder if Hirose will be the Hronek's partner by end of the season and we see Soucey anchoring a pair with like somebody/anyone else not Myers.

Reactions: mossey3535

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
I wonder if Hirose will be the Hronek's partner by end of the season and we see Soucey anchoring a pair with like somebody/anyone else not Myers.
I don't want to say that i'm down on Hirose, but I will say i lean in the "i'll believe it when i see it" line of thinking with him. His skating on retrievals and those high speed rushes looked off. He also wasn't overly strong in his own end. Wolanin is dog shit in front of his own net and lacks physicality but the skating is way better

Given that I don't think it would benefit to have hirose not playing every night working on those things, i think he should be in the ahl to start

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I don't want to say that i'm down on Hirose, but I will say i lean in the "i'll believe it when i see it" line of thinking with him. His skating on retrievals and those high speed rushes looked off. He also wasn't overly strong in his own end. Wolanin is dog shit in front of his own net and lacks physicality but he doesn't get struggle with the physicality aspect.
absolutely fair take, prospects are fickle.

Reactions: Indiana

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I don't want to say that i'm down on Hirose, but I will say i lean in the "i'll believe it when i see it" line of thinking with him. His skating on retrievals and those high speed rushes looked off. He also wasn't overly strong in his own end. Wolanin is dog shit in front of his own net and lacks physicality but he doesn't get struggle with the physicality aspect.

hirose is a very polished puck mover but he's got almost all the same issues as rathbone. i think he'll need some ahl time at the very least

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
absolutely fair take, prospects are fickle.
the end of the paragraph my adhd brain took over so i edited it to make sense but yeah overall gist remains the same

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
hirose is a very polished puck mover but he's got almost all the same issues as rathbone. i think he'll need some ahl time at the very least

Strongly disagree there.

Hirose is smallish/weak but very high IQ and positionally sound.

Rathbone is smallish/weak and also struggles considerably with IQ and positioning. And he panics with the puck on his stick against the forecheck because he doesn't like to be hit.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i meant in a more general sense not that he's exactly the same player as rathbone. bottom line is coaches aren't going to trust hirose given his current level of play in his own end

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i meant in a more general sense not that he's exactly the same player as rathbone. bottom line is coaches aren't going to trust hirose given his current level of play in his own end

Rathbone is *way* worse defensively.

Hirose is positionally sound and does all the right things but loses some puck battles. And Tocchet definitely ramped up his minutes very quickly in his look at the end of last year, so seemed to be a fan.

I do think that Wolanin is the frontrunner for that roster spot and Hirose probably starts the year in Abbotsford, but I think he's going to get a long look here in the next year.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I think the primary difference is hockey sense.

Rathbone has looked like a bad defensive forward playing the point on the powerplay and getting trapped in his own zone. Like he genuinely doesn't even know where he's supposed to go.

Hirose may well need more time to ripen and learn to make up for his strength shortcomings, but his reads are leagues ahead of Rathbone.

Reactions: Peen

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Want to give some cudos to the coaching staff for this tourney. Sure we had older guys with more experience, and that was a big part of how dominant we looked.

But the team did play with some consistent structure, especially on the rush and forechecking. Being more experienced helped with this, but the coaches clearly did a good job communicating and this bodes well from an organization pov.

Reactions: Indiana and MarkMM

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
A total of nine periods played over three days, plus a five minute OT, and I'd say the Canucks dominated seven of them and the OT against Winnipeg.

Probably the best team they've ever sent to the Young-stars tournament. Although given the number of players in their lineup with pro experience, the roster might have been a little unfair.

I know the Canucks prospect pool doesn't get high grades from most of the prospect sites, because the perception is that it's lacking in high-end talent. But in terms of 'depth' you can't argue that the Canucks have some very interesting prospects 23 and under.

Despite all the first and second rounders given up over the last three seasons, Allvin has done a nice job of infilling the prospect pool via NCAA and Swedish signings.

Do the Canucks quietly have the deepest under 23 prospect group in the league?

Sounds like a great topic for the main boards!!!

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Do the Canucks quietly have the deepest under 23 prospect group in the league?

Sounds like a great topic for the main boards!!!

I say no. Technically Hirose, McDonaugh, Sasson, Johansson, Plasek, and Tolopilo are over 23. We definitely sent an older and more experienced group.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
I say no. Technically Hirose, McDonaugh, Sasson, Johansson, Plasek, and Tolopilo are over 23. We definitely sent an older and more experienced group.
I don't actually believe it. I was just poking fun at this beauty that showed up last season on the main boards.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Just found out about this today thought perfect place to share yes this is a real team. They even rocked the blue green colour theme of Canucks until this past season. Junior A team if anyone curious.

1695435920053.png

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad