Post-Game Talk: Young Stars Classic: Canucks 3, Jets 2

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
Juolevi was pretty good, that one play that resulted in a shorty against stands out but it was very uncharacteristic.

Stetcher still plays like he always has, good hands, motor, and creativity. Will be interesting to see if he amounts to anything.

Garteig was very good.

Connor was disappointing, especially since he spent a lot of time with another high profile player in Roslovic.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Stecher looked like a Tyson Barrie clone in the game this afternoon....will be an intriguing story-line at the main camp.....he'll definitely be one of Travis Green's 'go-to' guys in Utica and should see some NHL games this season.

SaltyKesler

Sep 3, 2015
Vancity
So can someone post how well coached they looked and if Green did a good job of matching up lines or anything Willie sucked at last season

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Travis Green loves the kid and that is the only opinion that matters here really. Green doesn't really throw praise around that much.

Guess you don't live in Utica. Green NEVER throws a kid under the bus. He rarely has a negative thing to say about one of his players in public and then it's phrased so the player is still able to hold his head up.

He hands out praise whenever it's due. He simply never overdoes it and won't hand it out if it's not earned. His players know what to expect from him and they know they will hear it behind closed doors when they **** up. Not for mistakes. They are for learning.

Screw up after having been given multiple chances to correct the same thing and he will be there to dish out serious reprimands, at first some bench time and if it recurs longer bench stints, and can culminate in the form of a night in the press box. Yet in all instances the next day he will be right there to instruct them once again on how he wants it done in video, on the white board, and on the ice. He is in their corner. He's a player's coach, yet a tough task master at the same time. It takes a lot for him to give up on you. Ask Shinkaruk, Jensen, Cassels, Subban, Grenier, Friesen, Pedan, Baertschi, and many others. Every one of these guys had horrible ups and downs, but he stuck with them through the good and bad and they all became much better for it and are still getting better and everyone of them today plays with a high level of confidence instilled in them by their coach.

Baertschi arrived in Utica a shell of his former self that Green had previously coached. The Flames organization had virtually emasculated him. He gave him freedom to play his game, but held him to a strict level of defense. He was great and he's coming along well for the Canucks. Thank Green, not WD.

Sorry for the diatribe, but I get sensitive when I read comments about Green from guys who don't really know him. I was hesitant about him for the first 3 months here, but it was just Green being Green.

He gave them what he wanted and then he just stood there and watched. He gave them time to get it. Then all of a sudden after several games of inert coaching, the cardboard cutout I called it, he was up and down the bench talking in ears and motioning with his hands and gesturing to certain areas as explained what they were or weren't doing, still teaching. Then the serious bench lectures started. Then the missed shifts for the slow learners. Finally, if he had to, the press box for the hard heads.

They all got it and every guy he has coached has it down. That included the multiple PTOs last season and it doesn't take long to learn he means it. They play a very disciplined defensive structure. Their offensive game is move the puck up the ice quickly, carry it if possible, dump if it's the only out, dig, dig, dig, fore check, fore check, fore check, shoot, shoot, shoot, and follow your shot, go to open space whenever you don't have the puck, and when it turns over back check, back check, back check and take away all the passing lanes you can. In your face, difficult to play against hockey.

His teams can be beaten just like any other team, but you won't usually do it if you don't outwork them and that's not easy to do. More skilled players willing to pay the price can outplay his less talented guys who never give you an inch. When the battle is between his guy of equal value, his guy wins more often than not.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Juolevi was pretty good, that one play that resulted in a shorty against stands out but it was very uncharacteristic.

Stetcher still plays like he always has, good hands, motor, and creativity. Will be interesting to see if he amounts to anything.

Garteig was very good.

Connor was disappointing, especially since he spent a lot of time with another high profile player in Roslovic.

I always thought Connor was a bit overrated and his huge success wont translate into the NHL. I get laughed at for it but i think ill be right and i think Boeser who puts up pretty amazing numbers does it against way tougher competition and his success will translate MUCH better. Not saying Connor will be Glass but defy wont be on Boesers better level

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
No doubt, he needs a ton of time, give him a year in the OHL then 1 year in the AHL.

Don't rush this kid

"Don't rush this kid"

I am in full agreement with this. Many saying this mean this season in Jrs. and then Vancouver.

Trevor was quoted as saying they are not going to rush this kid. they are going to give him the proper amount of time to develop. I don't think I really believe this.

He should start in the AHL his first year of eligibility and then go up as soon as he shows he's too good to be there. We haven't had a guy do that in three years.

Why don't I believe it? Because he's only 19 come next season and will be ineligible for the AHL and would have to go back to Jrs as most real good ones who can't just step on the ice at 19 and make a serious impact.

They didn't follow that line of thinking with McCann or Virtanen. Don't mention Hutton. He wasn't 19. He was 22. I see them pushing the envelope with Olli and making him a Canuck at 19 ready or not. His play in this tournament doesn't look like an NHL player who belongs on the roster. He's playing real good, mostly, against guys his age or older many of whom have no chance of being in the NHL. He's also making mistakes. Pool Party beat him wide once and a lesser player did it as well. He's way too raw for NHL skilled players.

JC, let him get really GOOD before throwing him to the wolves. Getting Willie rookie time won't develop him any where near as well as playing every situation (even strength, PK, PP) game after game for a season. if he's too good for where he is move him up, but make that be the rule of thumb.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
I always thought Connor was a bit overrated and his huge success wont translate into the NHL. I get laughed at for it but i think ill be right and i think Boeser who puts up pretty amazing numbers does it against way tougher competition and his success will translate MUCH better. Not saying Connor will be Glass but defy wont be on Boesers better level

The real question is, do you guarantee it ?

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
So can someone post how well coached they looked and if Green did a good job of matching up lines or anything Willie sucked at last season

I don't think there is a lot of line matching going on during a prospects tournament. Green was quoted that he planned on rolling four lines and that he wants to get a look at everyone over the course of three games.

They did look like they were playing Travis Green up tempo forechecking hockey though.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Can't say I was impressed with anyone but Stecher. Interesting watching him work in the offensive zone, he likes holding and carrying the puck from his own end but that seems to change once up ice. He still wants the puck to come to him but when he has it he really wants it off his stick - fast. Catch and pass or a quick shot, it all happens fast. Interesting contrast to some of the offensive D that like to hold onto it. Really enjoying his play.

Connor has some nice skills and looked like he might take over but never did.

Joulevi was decent, but didn't stand out apart from that flub that led to the goal against (fumbles happen to the best of them occasionally).

Carcone had a good game. Not sure it is an NHL though.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I haven't been paying attention at all. Who have been the standouts so far through 2 games, both positive and negative?

Thanks!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Can't really see the Canucks offering a contract to any of the invitees to this tournament....but can now understand now why they were anxious to sign Carcone coming out the prospects development camp earlier this summer.....if he was a UFA at this tournament some team would step up and sign him for sure.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Just watched the whole thing since I had hockey practice earlier.

Juolevi was interesting to me. I liked how he took his time on some plays but there was obviously that error on the 1st Winnipeg goal along with some instances where he tried to do a little too much. But I still came away generally pleased by his passing ability and patience.

Stecher was very reliable once again. He wasn't quite as dynamic as he was in the first game but I think that has more to do with the fact that he was paired with Candella instead of Juolevi. Reminded me a lot of Barrie that game.

Garteig played well enough. Neither goal was really his fault.

Abols definitely lacks footspeed, but I thought he positioned himself well and used his big frame to his advantage. He's definitely a defensively responsible player.

Carcone looked pretty good as well and I definitely understand why he got a contract. Seems to never give up on a play and he has some pretty good wheels.

Roy was good again and he's clearly looking to prove something. He's a man on a mission and he was everywhere.

Cassels is clearly a smart player but he looked significantly slower in this game than he did in the Edmonton game.

It was a good team win though and it honestly wasn't that much different from the Oilers game. We just got better results. Keep it up.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I haven't been paying attention at all. Who have been the standouts so far through 2 games, both positive and negative?

Thanks!

Stetcher looks very impressive. Could be a NHLer as soon as this season.

Orange Juice has shown some flashes but looks extremely raw.

Carcone has impressed and shown he's going to be a factor in this organization.

Subban has been hot and cold.

I think that's about it.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Roy sounds very intriguing
From this game and last
Hope we get him into our system
Hopefully on an ahl contract

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Beat the jets no biggie EVERYONE beats the lowly jets. Im not impressed. Beat calgary and will talk

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Canucks thwarted by the empty net!!!!

That was comical actually from both teams.

Canucks were in the winnipegs zone for almost the final minute of the 3rd, while having a man up on us, we on the other hand couldn't put it in the empty net.

But awesome game by the Canucks. Clearly the better team. Sure they didn't deploy laine, canucks didn't deploy boeser either.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Juolevi will stand out more in a more organized game. Kid is gonna be a stud. He's the smartest player on the ice..

Yeah. I think Travis Green hit the nail on the head with his post-game comments about Juolevi:

Travis Green said:
"He's calm, smart, really good hockey sense. --- I think he's one of those players that'll be better as the competition gets higher and the game gets cleaner".

I did think Juolevi played a weaker game in this one, looked like he was trying to do a bit too much at times...which isn't really his jam. Think he also at times looked a bit confused by some of the reads and incoherent stuff going on around him.

I think he's probably catching a bit too much flak on the shorthanded goal he "caused" tbh. He's the one who's stick the turnover came from and he probably could have made a better play there (maybe a diagonal dump to the opposite RW corner but it's hard to tell exactly when he had the puck because camera work is a bit suspect). But it was less a "flub" or a "bad play for no reason" and more just a sub-optimal outcome to a scrambled situation where teammates weren't doing things that made a lot of coherent sense as a unit. There was some systems breakdown stuff going on there as well. Stuff that led to Olli isolated on the point with a hot potato, backed into a corner against the blueline. With 3/5 of our players down below the hashmarks and no viable puck supporting outlet (despite having the man advantage at the time :dunno:).

The kind of breakdowns that are inevitable and frequent in a tournament like this. But i don't think it's the sort of game that really suits Juolevi's strong suit as well as a more cohesive and systematic "higher level" game does.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Yeah. I think Travis Green hit the nail on the head with his post-game comments about Juolevi:

I was thinking the exact same thoughts during this game, playing with high end guys who can make the best of his skills. Still, you want a top 5 pick to be able to dominate at this level. The preseason games are usually not that great either, lots of AHL guys and try outs trying to find form and chemistry with random people thrown together on random lines.

I think he's probably catching a bit too much flak on the shorthanded goal he "caused" tbh. He's the one who's stick the turnover came from and he probably could have made a better play there (maybe a diagonal dump to the opposite RW corner but it's hard to tell exactly when he had the puck because camera work is a bit suspect). But it was less a "flub" or a "bad play for no reason" and more just a sub-optimal outcome to a scrambled situation where teammates weren't doing things that made a lot of coherent sense as a unit. There was some systems breakdown stuff going on there as well. Stuff that led to Olli isolated on the point with a hot potato, backed into a corner against the blueline. With 3/5 of our players down below the hashmarks and no viable puck supporting outlet (despite having the man advantage at the time :dunno:).

The kind of breakdowns that are inevitable and frequent in a tournament like this. But i don't think it's the sort of game that really suits Juolevi's strong suit as well as a more cohesive and systematic "higher level" game does.

I filed under **** happens. Even the best players lose the puck occasionally, he's just unlucky it ended in the net.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I think Green means that Juolevi will play better with better players where players are thinking the game better and are more predictable. Juolevi wants to play a strategic game where the puck is doing the work. A player that is more efficient than he is dynamic. Need these types of players to play a good team game.

Thought Stecher was again good. Has very quick three or four strides that allows him to create space. Moves the puck very well. Does a good job of jumping up at the blue line to force the play. We'll see how he does against stiffer competition but right now looks like a good prospect.

Say what you want but Stewart was pretty decent in this game. Made the simple play all the time (mostly banging the puck off the boards) but it was consistently the right play. Far from the disaster expected. Don't see him making Utica yet he should get a look with and may help the Alaska team.

Cassels was a little better but still mostly a non-factor. Also, he made some terrible give-aways in his end. He is better than he was last year at the tournament and looks more like the player who played in the year previous to last year. Still you don't see the type of development you expected based on that first tournament. Right now if I was looking at Valk and Cassels, I would say Valk should be the one playing in Utica.

Tried to keep an eye on Stukel and thought he again showed good speed and made a couple of nice rushes. However, seemed to get tied up in traffic and didn't always react well when players jumped up on him quickly in his own end. Can see the talent but needs to find better ways of exploiting it at this level.

Carcone continues to impress. Real buzz-saw in this game and created lots of offensive chances. Very hard to tell what the Canucks have here. He is smallish (although combative) yet the wheels are there. So far so good with this player but any higher expectations here are way premature. Don't know if he is eligible to return to Junior but that might be the best place for him to go. Gets a little bigger and gets year to excel (which he should in the Q.) and he would probably be better for it. Also thought Moynihan played well along the boards and might get a contract in the ECHL with Alaska.

Candella had some problems in his own end but I thought he showed some good range in his game and looked pretty mobile. This player should have an excellent year at the Junior level

Sautner was merely ok. Like Subban he is looks to be going thru the motions and recognizes the true test will come at Canuck camp.

Roy played well enough to think he has some chance to push for a spot in Utica if invited to their camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad