Post-Game Talk: Young Ducks beat Jets 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I really don’t think Gibson was much of a world beater tonight … we made it easy on him. It’s only one game so no cause for concern yet but it’s a bit disingenuous to claim we got goalied this game, I think.

Yep. Gibson wasn't challenged enough. He did a good job controlling the rebounds and not giving up 2nd and 3rd chances but the Jets didn't do much too make his life difficult. Too many shots from far out without any traffic in front of the net.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
The Ducks and Senators are playing all their first round picks in their first year, but we're going to be sending Perfetti down to the Moose ? I think he well belongs with the big club, right now. He certainly didn't look out of place tonight, and made some nice plays.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Quick thoughts....

81-25-26 Connor had a strong game. Was really the driver on this line. Stastny was okay, but played too much. Wheeler looked like he has broken ribs, or something. A lot of bad plays, and awkward with and without the puck.

9-80-27 I really liked a lot of Dubois' game. I thought he deserved more ice-time. He was fast and aggressive and showed good vision. Ehlers was really strong early, but was less effective as the game went later. Still one of the better Jets. Copp was pedestrian. Didn't really add much anywhere.

12-17-91 This line was fine, but nothing special. Harkins was probably the most dynamic, with some good quickness and vision. Lowry isn't going to provide offense. Perfetti was okay, but needs to play with higher quality linemates.

71-20-93 Didn't play much. Didn't do much when they did.

44-88 Really liked Morrissey's game - quick and aggressive. He continues to show signs of a bounceback season with a well-suited partner and less of a load. Schmidt moved the puck well, and gave Morrissey time and space to make plays.

5-4 Generally okay, but an occasional missed assignment by Pionk. Liked Dillon's physical play and gap control.

64-2 Awful game for Stanley. Very erratic. Just tossing hand grenades instead of making crisp passes. He needs to be much more composed. DeMelo was fine, I guess.

Hellebuyck looked shaky. Certainly outplayed by Gibson.

Overall, the Jets had the better of the play, but just didn't have any polish to their game offensively, and a but too loose on the PK. Looking forward to seeing a charged up Scheifele, and other players back to better roles. I think Maurice needs to lean on Dubois more. He looks fast and aggressive.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I thought we were the better team :dunno:
The better team doesn't always win.

I didn't watch as closely as I would have liked because I was doing a draft, but I feel like every time I looked up Ehlers was doing something impressive.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Quick thoughts....

81-25-26 Connor had a strong game. Was really the driver on this line. Stastny was okay, but played too much. Wheeler looked like he has broken ribs, or something. A lot of bad plays, and awkward with and without the puck.

9-80-27 I really liked a lot of Dubois' game. I thought he deserved more ice-time. He was fast and aggressive and showed good vision. Ehlers was really strong early, but was less effective as the game went later. Still one of the better Jets. Copp was pedestrian. Didn't really add much anywhere.

12-17-91 This line was fine, but nothing special. Harkins was probably the most dynamic, with some good quickness and vision. Lowry isn't going to provide offense. Perfetti was okay, but needs to play with higher quality linemates.

71-20-93 Didn't play much. Didn't do much when they did.

44-88 Really liked Morrissey's game - quick and aggressive. He continues to show signs of a bounceback season with a well-suited partner and less of a load. Schmidt moved the puck well, and gave Morrissey time and space to make plays.

5-4 Generally okay, but an occasional missed assignment by Pionk. Liked Dillon's physical play and gap control.

64-2 Awful game for Stanley. Very erratic. Just tossing hand grenades instead of making crisp passes. He needs to be much more composed. DeMelo was fine, I guess.

Hellebuyck looked shaky. Certainly outplayed by Gibson.

Overall, the Jets had the better of the play, but just didn't have any polish to their game offensively, and a but too loose on the PK. Looking forward to seeing a charged up Scheifele, and other players back to better roles. I think Maurice needs to lean on Dubois more. He looks fast and aggressive.
Nice summary, as always.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ok it's the first game of the year. There were a lot of good things and some areas they need to clean up.

Helle had an off night, I'm sure he'll regroup so not going to comment on it much.

Morrissey/Schmidt: Pairing was really good tonight and retrieved and moved it out of our end extremely well. Schmidt had a few hiccups early in our end but settled and was good in transition and keeping the play alive in the ozone. Morrissey was fantastic all over the ice and looks to be back to playing an extremely smooth game with the puck. Loved how he jumped into the play offensively and easily could have had 3 goals if Gibson wasn't on fire tonight.

Pionk and Dillion: They had an OK game but imo both have another level in them. I thought Pionk wasn't as good as he usually is moving the puck or defending. No idea why he's on the PK. Dillion needs to up his aggression.

Stanley/DeMelo: Pretty poor night by this pairing. Stanley wasn't moving the puck well and he wasn't using his size to clear the crease on the PK or during ES. DeMelo just an uncharacteristic bad defensive effort. His reads where off and he also wasn't hard on his checks infront of the net.

Conner/Wheeler/Stastny: Conner played well and was making things happen most of the times he had the puck. I liked that he was trying to drive more offense. Stastny was good off the puck and does some little things well with it but isn't good at creating grade A chances any longer and really isn't a fit on that top line. I think he can bring a lot to our third line though. Wheeler outside his assist and some work on the PP was real bad. He was behind the play all night, had real poor hands and isn't very quick any longer. His coach really should have cut his minutes down the stretch. Hopefully this is just typical slow start Blake because if it's not we are in trouble as I doubt Moe stops overplaying him.

Ehelers/Dubois/Copp: Can the Copp in the top 6 experiment end please. He just doesn't do anything out there to foster offense and that is what the team needed tonight. Dubois with a strong start to the season. Showing great speed, good skill and he is shooting a lot and regaining puck possession. He just needs to find the range on that shot as he had a few misses that he needs to bury. Fly was up and down, had some great looks but also tried to do too much and turned pucks over. He'll dial it in.

Lowry/Harkins/Perfett: You could see Cole's intelligence on display a lot tonight. He was making the right reads, made some nice smart plays with the puck and was very hard on it all our the ice. You can tell that it hasn't fully slowed down for him yet though and it will be interesting to see if Moe gives him enough of a leash for him to adapt. Lowry was ok, good defensively but no offense. Harkins played well and was busting his but again. Definitely an NHL player there.

Ves/Nash/Svech: thought the line was good but barely got any minutes so not much to say.

We have a lot of work to do on our systems. Our PK seems to allow the opposition to set up shop infront of the net and have easy tips. This needs to be quickly addressed.

As a team we still don't get to those high danger areas in the offensive end enough and we don't get the goalie moving enough.

Hopefully with more practice and game time we see improvements in our execution.

I won't lie but I'm a bit concerned with our top 6. If Wheeler has lost another step and of Moe insists on Copp in it we may struggle to score enough.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Everyone looked like it was the first game of the season.
Chaos ruled after the first 10 minutes.
Refs were almost decidedly better in the preseason, which is all kinds of special...noted a few embellishment type reactions by ducks, refs bit on some. Whistle did go off before puck was put into the net...just sayin.
Blake was off, as usual the first 10-15...but he really was fighting the puck tonight.
Bucky looked sucky.
Copp was meh in his first game in the new role... hopefully that corrects.
Though I didn't like the call on him, Getz had his stick in front of Copp's feet, hand in his back...
Timing of everyone seemed off.
Conner was good, noticed him back checking a lot.
Ehlers was moving, shooting, and pickin passes off.
Doobee was doing some things, still looked stronger than most of last year.

Put that game in the hot garbage turd bin and move on.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ok it's the first game of the year. There were a lot of good things and some areas they need to clean up.

Helle had an off night, I'm sure he'll regroup so not going to comment on it much.

Morrissey/Schmidt: Pairing was really good tonight and retrieved and moved it out of our end extremely well. Schmidt had a few hiccups early in our end but settled and was good in transition and keeping the play alive in the ozone. Morrissey was fantastic all over the ice and looks to be back to playing an extremely smooth game with the puck. Loved how he jumped into the play offensively and easily could have had 3 goals if Gibson wasn't on fire tonight.

Pionk and Dillion: They had an OK game but imo both have another level in them. I thought Pionk wasn't as good as he usually is moving the puck or defending. No idea why he's on the PK. Dillion needs to up his aggression.

Stanley/DeMelo: Pretty poor night by this pairing. Stanley wasn't moving the puck well and he wasn't using his size to clear the crease on the PK or during ES. DeMelo just an uncharacteristic bad defensive effort. His reads where off and he also wasn't hard on his checks infront of the net.

Conner/Wheeler/Stastny: Conner played well and was making things happen most of the times he had the puck. I liked that he was trying to drive more offense. Stastny was good off the puck and does some little things well with it but isn't good at creating grade A chances any longer and really isn't a fit on that top line. I think he can bring a lot to our third line though. Wheeler outside his assist and some work on the PP was real bad. He was behind the play all night, had real poor hands and isn't very quick any longer. His coach really should have cut his minutes down the stretch. Hopefully this is just typical slow start Blake because if it's not we are in trouble as I doubt Moe stops overplaying him.

Ehelers/Dubois/Copp: Can the Copp in the top 6 experiment end please. He just doesn't do anything out there to foster offense and that is what the team needed tonight. Dubois with a strong start to the season. Showing great speed, good skill and he is shooting a lot and regaining puck possession. He just needs to find the range on that shot as he had a few misses that he needs to bury. Fly was up and down, had some great looks but also tried to do too much and turned pucks over. He'll dial it in.

Lowry/Harkins/Perfett: You could see Cole's intelligence on display a lot tonight. He was making the right reads, made some nice smart plays with the puck and was very hard on it all our the ice. You can tell that it hasn't fully slowed down for him yet though and it will be interesting to see if Moe gives him enough of a leash for him to adapt. Lowry was ok, good defensively but no offense. Harkins played well and was busting his but again. Definitely an NHL player there.

Ves/Nash/Svech: thought the line was good but barely got any minutes so not much to say.

We have a lot of work to do on our systems. Our PK seems to allow the opposition to set up shop infront of the net and have easy tips. This needs to be quickly addressed.

As a team we still don't get to those high danger areas in the offensive end enough and we don't get the goalie moving enough.

Hopefully with more practice and game time we see improvements in our execution.

I won't lie but I'm a bit concerned with our top 6. If Wheeler has lost another step and of Moe insists on Copp in it we may struggle to score enough.
Good summary.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
I'm not panicking yet, because there are certainly some good things to take away from this game: they're finally getting back to an uptempo game that will suit their best offensive players, but look sloppy since it's been 2.5 years since they've done so; overall all four lines actually played pretty decently; Scheifele set to return from a suspension (lol) for the next game; Perfetti looks to be a NHL player until proven otherwise and should get to play the rest of this roadtrip.

However, on the other side of the coin: Wheeler and Stastny certainly aren't getting younger, and Connor looks even worse off the puck than the previous season. The PP1 has stunk outside of Connor converting on his chances and Ehlers is left to toil on the PP2, as usual. The PK somehow still trots out Pionk even though he's by far the worst PKer on the team. Stanley had an awful night and if he's injured, he shouldn't be playing and Heinola should be getting that time because this uptempo style of play is his bread-and-butter.

The signs are there that this could turn out well in the long run. There are also warning signs that this could get out of hand quickly because they coach like it's the 2017-18 versions of Wheeler and Stastny and Morrissey, et al. Jets will have to break the very, very bad habits they've established over the last three years and mostly during the time of their truncated defence - it will be interesting to see how they attempt to accomplish so.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm not panicking yet, because there are certainly some good things to take away from this game: they're finally getting back to an uptempo game that will suit their best offensive players, but look sloppy since it's been 2.5 years since they've done so; overall all four lines actually played pretty decently; Scheifele set to return from a suspension (lol) for the next game; Perfetti looks to be a NHL player until proven otherwise and should get to play the rest of this roadtrip.

However, on the other side of the coin: Wheeler and Stastny certainly aren't getting younger, and Connor looks even worse off the puck than the previous season. The PP1 has stunk outside of Connor converting on his chances and Ehlers is left to toil on the PP2, as usual. The PK somehow still trots out Pionk even though he's by far the worst PKer on the team. Stanley had an awful night and if he's injured, he shouldn't be playing and Heinola should be getting that time because this uptempo style of play is his bread-and-butter.

The signs are there that this could turn out well in the long run. There are also warning signs that this could get out of hand quickly because they coach like it's the 2017-18 versions of Wheeler and Stastny and Morrissey, et al. Jets will have to break the very, very bad habits they've established over the last three years and mostly during the time of their truncated defence - it will be interesting to see how they attempt to accomplish so.

Well atleast Morrissey looked like that version tonight, can't say the same about the other two. We shall see how things progress moving forward. Some stuff was good but lots of things to iron out. I figured we'd need a good 10 gamed to really get our new schemes down anyhow so I'm not really panicking.

Reactions: hn777 and Atoyot

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yeah once the game slows.down for him watch out. If hes allowed to adapt I think you see what happened on the Moose where after about 10 to 15 games it clicked and he took off.

He needs to be on the PP and he needs more ice time then he got tonight.
And there are so many guys he could be on pp instead of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad