Post-Game Talk: Young Ducks beat Jets 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Bingo! Well said. The playing our top guys a ton obviously did not work last game and hasn't worked in key games.
Spread the ice time a little more and have a fresher so-called top group who may be able to score. Although, Ehlers fifth in ice time amongst forwards is ridiculous.
They way Ehlers continues to drive the play and create shots, scoring chances, the Dude should be double shifted 2 of 3 periods. He would be challenging McD and Drai in Edm for top Dawg.

Reactions: hn777 and AlaskaJet

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
All I know is Paul stastny at 21+ a game is not sustainable and it’s a bit scary to see Wheeler, stas, Connor on the PK more than Ves, Harkins or Svech

smells like mo
So we're going to be running Stas 21+ a night on the top line?
Do we normally see Wheels, Stas and KFC killing?
Maybe there was a (insert shift, equipment, player, etc) issue or a tactical reason.
It was game one, it was chaotic, mostly caused by a very young ducks lineup and I doubt they would be able to reproduce that game with the same results with the possession and shots so heavily skewed in the jets favour...ducks are bubble team at best this year.

Sometimes you can do almost everything right but not come up on the winning side... that's sports.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Funny comment considering three of those had just under 10 mins in a game that was played largely on special teams or 4v4.

Ice time wasn’t even that lopsided if people would actually look at the numbers. Only two forwards broke 15mins at ES(Connor and Stastny) and they were also the only two to break 20 mins overall. Considering how much of the game wasn’t at 5v5 the management of ice time was largely much better then recent years.
Hey, I wonder how much time Anaheim was playing special teams...

I don't think @ThinIce61's point is about even strength minutes; it's workload. You're right, though - it's been worse in the past. That's a pretty low bar.

Maurice could have tried others on the PP, especially when we weren't getting results. It's not like we don't have guys with better hands/offense than Copp and Lurch...

And WTF was Wheeler, KFC, and Stats even doing on the PK at all??

I'm sure we'll get some bounces next game and frustration levels will drop here. This was a winnable game, and I'll take any little optimizational edge - better deployment is one of those little things that is actually controllable...

Maurice has mentioned in the past that he only looks at ice time during the intermissions, IIRC. If that's still true, we need someone that tracks it and gives him a heads-up.

Last edited:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Yep I’d rather pk trusted guys on 4th line tonito than svech if that means limiting stats minutes especially pk.
That’s what’s coming - maurice will call up Toninato etc for help on the PK before even giving the new guys a shot...

we will hear that Svech is not getting ice time so we will go 7-11 and insert booboo on pk

Reactions: AlaskaJet

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
Ok it's the first game of the year. There were a lot of good things and some areas they need to clean up.

Helle had an off night, I'm sure he'll regroup so not going to comment on it much.

Morrissey/Schmidt: Pairing was really good tonight and retrieved and moved it out of our end extremely well. Schmidt had a few hiccups early in our end but settled and was good in transition and keeping the play alive in the ozone. Morrissey was fantastic all over the ice and looks to be back to playing an extremely smooth game with the puck. Loved how he jumped into the play offensively and easily could have had 3 goals if Gibson wasn't on fire tonight.

Pionk and Dillion: They had an OK game but imo both have another level in them. I thought Pionk wasn't as good as he usually is moving the puck or defending. No idea why he's on the PK. Dillion needs to up his aggression.

Stanley/DeMelo: Pretty poor night by this pairing. Stanley wasn't moving the puck well and he wasn't using his size to clear the crease on the PK or during ES. DeMelo just an uncharacteristic bad defensive effort. His reads where off and he also wasn't hard on his checks infront of the net.

Conner/Wheeler/Stastny: Conner played well and was making things happen most of the times he had the puck. I liked that he was trying to drive more offense. Stastny was good off the puck and does some little things well with it but isn't good at creating grade A chances any longer and really isn't a fit on that top line. I think he can bring a lot to our third line though. Wheeler outside his assist and some work on the PP was real bad. He was behind the play all night, had real poor hands and isn't very quick any longer. His coach really should have cut his minutes down the stretch. Hopefully this is just typical slow start Blake because if it's not we are in trouble as I doubt Moe stops overplaying him.

Ehelers/Dubois/Copp: Can the Copp in the top 6 experiment end please. He just doesn't do anything out there to foster offense and that is what the team needed tonight. Dubois with a strong start to the season. Showing great speed, good skill and he is shooting a lot and regaining puck possession. He just needs to find the range on that shot as he had a few misses that he needs to bury. Fly was up and down, had some great looks but also tried to do too much and turned pucks over. He'll dial it in.

Lowry/Harkins/Perfett: You could see Cole's intelligence on display a lot tonight. He was making the right reads, made some nice smart plays with the puck and was very hard on it all our the ice. You can tell that it hasn't fully slowed down for him yet though and it will be interesting to see if Moe gives him enough of a leash for him to adapt. Lowry was ok, good defensively but no offense. Harkins played well and was busting his but again. Definitely an NHL player there.

Ves/Nash/Svech: thought the line was good but barely got any minutes so not much to say.

We have a lot of work to do on our systems. Our PK seems to allow the opposition to set up shop infront of the net and have easy tips. This needs to be quickly addressed.

As a team we still don't get to those high danger areas in the offensive end enough and we don't get the goalie moving enough.

Hopefully with more practice and game time we see improvements in our execution.

I won't lie but I'm a bit concerned with our top 6. If Wheeler has lost another step and of Moe insists on Copp in it we may struggle to score enough.
Please mail this to Maurice Surixon, really!!
Thankyou so much..It makes me cry to read it, but it’s time he read this..
Really, please just find an email address for PoMo and do it?
We love what you do, brother!

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
My grandad was a Lt Col of the Fort Garry Horse in WWI and lads, he would not have approved of so many guys wanting to climb into the tanks so early..
Pipes up, pipes ready, hang in there boys..
Reading this thread , i thought it was the tank thread. It's 1 game, the first game of the year, i still think if Helly plays a little better we win . Helly is going to win some games all by himself this season, i'm not worried.

Potential

Nov 11, 2017
Good point about Copp & PLD together. I'm still willing to give it a few more games, but the experiment does not appear to be working so far.

Maybe it is time for .......
Copp - Scheifele - Ehlers
Connor - Dubois - Perfetti
Stastny - Lowry - Wheeler If Wheeler is a slow starter, leave him there until if/when he gets going.
Harkins - Nash - Svechnikov

Or not.

If I had my way it would be:

Connor - Scheifele - Ehlers
Svechnikov - Dubois - Perfetti
Stastny - Lowry - Wheeler
Copp - Nash - Harkins

I believe we would give teams fits with this grouping - 2 balanced, elite scoring lines, along with solid, skilled third and fourth lines.

I'm sorry Wheels, I love ya man and I know the third line might seem harsh, but this is what we need to succeed.

BrokerD

Apr 13, 2012
5 of 12 forwards didn't hit 10 minutes in time on ice. By comparison Anaheim only had 1.

That is all.

Ducks were also playing with a lead - big difference. But I do agree that there needs to be a better utilization of the bottom 9.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
5 of 12 forwards didn't hit 10 minutes in time on ice. By comparison Anaheim only had 1.

That is all.
who do you think will score to goals to help us get back in the game? nash, lowry, svech et al? or wheeler, kc etc?

You make lots of great points. My counter would be yes Wheeler wasn’t replaced before because he was too good, but, as players age they take steps back so why should the fact that laine couldn’t replace wheeler then have to with wheeler now? If laine came a few years later with wheeler where he is now, would Laine have had a stronger case?

no, b/c ehlers is>laine, and wheeler back then>wheeler now. so likely no one will ever have a case.

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
That’s what’s coming - maurice will call up Toninato etc for help on the PK before even giving the new guys a shot...

we will hear that Svech is not getting ice time so we will go 7-11 and insert booboo on pk
But I guess that’s how they plan to get stats’s minutes considering next game he’s back to third line. I’d rather they didn’t and would rather tomato come in as 4th line minutes don’t count for much on this team.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Reading this thread , i thought it was the tank thread. It's 1 game, the first game of the year, i still think if Helly plays a little better we win . Helly is going to win some games all by himself this season, i'm not worried.
The tank thread would be happy with the result and not be trying to suss out how to increase our odds for a better result.

The bar should be high this year - we improved our team's roster significantly. I expect improvement, especially defensively. I also expect it to take a while for the new systems to settle in - most of our players are used to playing our crappy old systems. If we're not executing by Christmas, then it should be crystal clear what needs to be improved next...

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Another coaching thread I see -
Same complaints - same tired arguments
And we're one game into the season

Hopefully we win the next one so that the discussions can shift back to how great our players are :sarcasm:
Isn't that funny? Players don't perform: coaches fault. Players perform: despite coaching :laugh:

Reactions: ps241 and sipowicz

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
In the best season that this franchise has had in Winnipeg so far... 2017-18 52-20-10 (114 points)

they lost the first two games of that season.

Tor 7-2
Cal 6-3

way too early to panic yet. Let's see where we are after a week or two.

I was behind our net for 2 periods when Toronto clubbed us.
I still have retinal afterimage burn in from the goal light :laugh:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

That is all.
Except that is not all. The teams are in drastically different points in their competitive cycle. As to that the Jets were playing from behind for most of the night.

I have some issues with Mo's player utilization but your comparison is completely without context.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
In the best season that this franchise has had in Winnipeg so far... 2017-18 52-20-10 (114 points)

they lost the first two games of that season.

Tor 7-2
Cal 6-3

way too early to panic yet. Let's see where we are after a week or two.
Steve Mason was starting goalie and Bucky ended up setting a record that year for wins by American goalie. 3D chess.

Reactions: DRW204 and Jets 31

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Not a hot take at all. It is complete disagreement with the OP's statement. They did not play well enough to win. Period.

The way they played led to a 4-1 score against them - against one of the weakest teams in the league. How does playing like that ever win a game?

Are you saying the 4 goals against were flukes? I disagree. Are you saying it was puck luck that kept the puck out of the Ducks' net? I disagree.
I vehemently disagree. Jets score first and we get some early saves from 37 and this is a completely different story

Last edited:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
It took 2 games before the first Habs fire sale thread on the mainboards.........it took few Jets fans 13 mins into the 2nd period of the first game to start talking the sky is falling......maybe if we lose game 2 like the Habs have we will see a fire sale thread also for the Jets.
:popcorn:

Reactions: Jet and tbcwpg

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
If I had my way it would be:

Connor - Scheifele - Ehlers
Svechnikov - Dubois - Perfetti
Stastny - Lowry - Wheeler
Copp - Nash - Harkins

I believe we would give teams fits with this grouping - 2 balanced, elite scoring lines, along with solid, skilled third and fourth lines.

I'm sorry Wheels, I love ya man and I know the third line might seem harsh, but this is what we need to succeed.

That team would be like the Oilers from 2 years ago. A one line team that literally would have no hope of scoring outside the top line which would see the toughest matchups.

Interesting how narratives change, past seasons people were bitching and moaning about the talent and icetime not being spread out and now you want to load up one 1 line? Loading up Ehlers/Scheifele/Connor on one line is a the nuclear measure of last resort option, if that line starts getting deployed to start games it would be indicative of the Jets having a rough few games leading up to it.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
The tank thread would be happy with the result and not be trying to suss out how to increase our odds for a better result.

The bar should be high this year - we improved our team's roster significantly. I expect improvement, especially defensively. I also expect it to take a while for the new systems to settle in - most of our players are used to playing our crappy old systems. If we're not executing by Christmas, then it should be crystal clear what needs to be improved next...

Serious and maybe naive question…..Did Maurice actually say that they were implementing “new” systems?

Reactions: TEH FIRST NOEL

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
That team would be like the Oilers from 2 years ago. A one line team that literally would have no hope of scoring outside the top line which would see the toughest matchups.

Interesting how narratives change, past seasons people were bitching and moaning about the talent and icetime not being spread out and now you want to load up one 1 line? Loading up Ehlers/Scheifele/Connor on one line is a the nuclear measure of last resort option, if that line starts getting deployed to start games it would be indicative of the Jets having a rough few games leading up to it.

well, PLD is supposed to be a line-driver offensively down-the-middle. the guy was a 1C for a PO team with strong 5v5 scoring production and rates. some of that was due to Panarin or Bjorkstrand of course, but he did spend time away from those 2 and his underlying stats were still solid (for example with Bemstrom+Milano/Wennberg or J.Anderson). id consider Copp/Perfetti (if he's still on the team)+Wheeler a better linemate mix.

svech/harkins/ves (ill just lump these 3 together) should not be ahead of wheeler. wheeler is still superior than those guys.

wheeler still rates not bad at driving offense, defensively though.....
however - his best defensive season since '16 was 2nd line minutes/role as the 2C in 19-20 :dunno:

Last edited:

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021

Yeah. If Ehlers and Schief are together you need to 'carry' someone on that line and spread the scoring.

I also don't understand Stasny / Lowry / Wheeler; two playmakers and... Lowry... seems like a bad time to me. If Wheels and Stastny play together I think they need someone like Harkins on their line.

I'd still like to see ESW reunited and put Connor with Dubois and Perfetti.

Or Ehlers - Schief - Perfetti... but I don't like Connor and Wheeler together.

I'll be interested to see the permutations this year. Hopefully there is at least a little bit of experimenting.

Reactions: JetsFan815
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad