GDT: You'll Shoot Yer Eye Out, Kid! Sabres @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
I’m also still annoyed about the missed elbow to Palm’s head on the 2nd goal against. It shouldn’t have counted.

'.....and dont worry about the vase..... whats really going to bake your noodle later on is would you still have broken it if i hadn't said anything?'

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
No, they aren't perfect. Time to accept that Zajac isn't a top 6 player and is not skilled enough to play with Palms or MoJo and in fact kills any offensive chance they create. He had a wide open net to score on tonight, but because he is not just skating slow, but thinking the game slow, his stick wasn't on the ice and he missed a chance to score.

2 poins in 0 games with the amount of ice time and PP time he gets is pathetic.

I dont recall Zajac having an wide open net. I remember Greene had one on a pass from MoJo.

Also Zajac can play with skilled forwards he has done it his entire career, with Parise, Kovy, Hall, and Palmieri to name a few. He has the ability to play with these guys, but just like our top line they need to play together to develop chemistry. I get everyone is clamoring for Zacha to be moved up there but, while he has been MUCH better and i mean MUCH better Im not sure the result will be much different with him there vs Zajac right now. Not to mention your going to run Zacha out there against second line centers to face in the dot. I do believe Zacha can handle the D side of things but not as well as Zajac can.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hate to be that guy... but 2 goals on 3 second period shots is the reason we lost .
Cory should have had the Josefson goal, if only because it went through his arm and body when he was square to it and got a big piece of it. It wasn't a goal that I'd say was his fault, but it was definitely a goal that I'd say was stoppable, especially out of all 4 goals. The second goal he allowed that period (with a little over a minute left) was a fluke goal. It's funny, because I was saying earlier that sometimes Cory stops deflection goals, that a goalie like Kinkaid isn't gonna stop, even though they don't look like a bad goal when they're scored on Kinkaid or most goalies, just that Cory's supreme positioning stops them sometimes. Not all of the time, but maybe 50% of the, whereas an average goalie probably stops them 30% of the time. I wouldn't count that as stoppable though.

Absolutely no chance at all on goal 3. It was an atrocious attempt at a penalty kill. The Zajac, Greene Santini trio (Gibbons was out there too) were pinned in for what may have over a minute. Then after a whistle, the next unit proceeds to match them by getting glued in themselves. Maybe you'd like to see him get a little more aggressive on the OT winner? Wouldn't ding him on it though. He's been playing really awesome lately and was probably due for one of these games. The Sabres were also due for one of these games, probably because of that ''Lowest shooting percentage in the league, only one other team in the history of the NHL has finished the season with a lower shooting percentage than them!'' that Steve and Dano were talking up earlier.

Last edited:

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
Early morning here in Copenhagen and what do my eyes meet when I get in to HF boards at NewJersey Devils.

A bunch of mad, frustrated fans is it understandable, probably because it was our game to lose and we did. Haven't watch the game yet but I'm going to.

But we also need to see the big picture here guys and girls, I think we have 14/16 points (correct me if wrong) that is pretty good. We are going to have bad games and that's it, we got a point on almost every division rival after tonight's results.

I think they had one game in mind and that's the Washington game.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I don't blame Cory for any of those goals. They were all difficult to say the least. It just proves my point that an .852 SV% and a 4.00 GAA is misleading and doesn't reflect goalie play at all at sample sizes less than 82 games. There wasn't anything he should have done better on a couple of breakaways, and passes that cross the royal road, or point blank chances by their best player. He suffered the same thing Kincaid has been seeing - good plays by the other side, occasional bonehead moves by teammates, and just some bad puck luck.

We should just take our cautionary tale, and move on. I like the teams' reaction, though. You can see that Moore and Coleman were particularly pissed at themselves. I expect a good bounceback tomorrow.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Hate to be that guy... but 2 goals on 3 second period shots is the reason we lost .

And Cory had no chance on either one, so what exactly is your point?

Actually, I forgot the Josefson goal was one of them, but still it was a breakaway, so I can't exactly kill him for it.

The fact is we should have won this game, but didn't. It happens. On to the next one.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't blame Cory for any of those goals. They were all difficult to say the least. It just proves my point that an .852 SV% and a 4.00 GAA is misleading and doesn't reflect goalie play at all at sample sizes less than 82 games. There wasn't anything he should have done better on a couple of breakaways, and passes that cross the royal road, or point blank chances by their best player. He suffered the same thing Kincaid has been seeing - good plays by the other side, occasional bonehead moves by teammates, and just some bad puck luck.

We should just take our cautionary tale, and move on. I like the teams' reaction, though. You can see that Moore and Coleman were particularly pissed at themselves. I expect a good bounceback tomorrow.
I don't think an .852 save percentage and 4 GAA (it's probably slightly under 4:00 GAA, due to OT minutes played) is a big deal over one game or a small sample size. I've never thought that it was necessarily indicative of a bad game when just used as single game stats. That home game against Arizona and the second game against Edmonton? Cory played worse than he did tonight, but had a decent save percentage for the game in those two. Then he had a game against Winnipeg where he allowed 5 goals on 21 shots or something like that, right after that Edmonton game. Where I think only one of the goals he allowed that night he could have stopped.

Thought he could have had the Josefson goal, not because it's Jacob Josefson as much as the fact that it was a squeaker through the 7-hole. The Johansson goal on Lehner was pretty brutal. There wasn't a screen on that play at all. At least the screen wasn't obstructing where the shot came through at.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Zajac second most ice time among forwards last night. Playing him feels like one of those news stories where a high school team plays a special needs kid for a play or two.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Zajac second most ice time among forwards last night. Playing him feels like one of those news stories where a high school team plays a special needs kid for a play or two.

Were they matching him up against Eichel? Could be part of why his minutes were up there.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Were they matching him up against Eichel? Could be part of why his minutes were up there.
Yes Hynes was matching Zajac with Eichel. Which was also why he got shifts in OT against Eich.

I don’t mind if Zajac is used as a shut down center. Just do it with Coleman and Gibbons as linemates. Those two are discipline enough to play a defensive role. And best of all it will free up MoJo and Palmieri to play with a more skilled offensive player.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Yes Hynes was matching Zajac with Eichel. Which was also why he got shifts in OT against Eich.

I don’t mind if Zajac is used as a shut down center. Just do it with Coleman and Gibbons as linemates. Those two are discipline enough to play a defensive role. And best of all it will free up MoJo and Palmieri to play with a more skilled offensive player.

Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing them use Zajac and Coleman as a shutdown duo similar to Madden and Pandolfo (before Sutter decided to run them into the ground anyway). We've got enough skilled forwards to where we shouldn't need to rely on Zajac in an offensive role like we have in years past.

I think Hynes sometimes falls into the trap a lot of coaches do with leaning on the good soldier who has given you reliable play over the years a little too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bleedred

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Not really but:

Zajac played 14:30 of 5v5.

4 minutes vs the Eichel line.
9 minutes vs the Kane-O'Reilly-Okposo line.

So def still playing tough defensive minutes.

Zacha on the other hand played 14:10 of 5v5.

1:24 vs Eichel
0:55 vs O'Reilly
6:51 vs JJ
5:30 vs Pouliot.

Much easier minutes.

Straight possession #'s say Zacha was much better, but you have to consider competition.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Not really but:

Zajac played 14:30 of 5v5.

4 minutes vs the Eichel line.
9 minutes vs the Kane-O'Reilly-Okposo line.

So def still playing tough defensive minutes.

Zacha on the other hand played 14:10 of 5v5.

1:24 vs Eichel
0:55 vs O'Reilly
6:51 vs JJ
5:30 vs Pouliot.

Much easier minutes.

Straight possession #'s say Zacha was much better, but you have to consider competition.
Zajac has been facing tough competition for years now. This is the first time that he’s really been hammered by it.

Reactions: Blender

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Zajac has been facing tough competition for years now. This is the first time that he’s really been hammered by it.
Sure, not denying that, and maybe it's time to reign him in in that regard. But still, when evaluating how Zajac played relative to Zacha, we do need to consider opposition.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015

This is one of the rare occasions where Cory didn't let in a softy. I guess he could have saved the Josefson goal, but it was a clear breakaway and JJ had a ton of time so it's hard to put that on Cory.
More than anything you can say that Buffalo got more puck luck than we did and the zebras did the best to screw us with non-calls, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad