GDT: You'll Shoot Yer Eye Out, Kid! Sabres @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Kinkaid has started 8 games this season, and 5 of them he has had a save% under .900. The other three were .935, .909, and .912. Just not good enough to be playing in a tight playoff race.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I'm so sick and tired of reading '' The coaching staff is out to lunch'' or '' Hynes is a idiot because of...''.

Do people realise we're one of two teams who are outperforming our expectations by a country mile? As of now, and yes I know it's still very early but still, Hynes (and Gallant) is probably the favorite to win the Jack Adams award.

Usually when a team out performs expectations it has little to do with the coaching staff. There is a reason why many Jack Adams winners are fired within 2 years when their teams come crashing back down to earth.

Reactions: Bleedred

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Kinkaid has started 8 games this season, and 5 of them he has had a save% under .900. The other three were .935, .909, and .912. Just not good enough to be playing in a tight playoff race.

It’s December. You can’t expect Schneider to play every game for the rest of the season. So if you don’t think you can win this game despite Kinkaid this game in this situation, when are you are you going to play the backup.

It makes little sense to not play Cory back to back three weeks ago against Columbus and the Rangers, but possibly play him back to back this weekend (or worse start Kinkaid vs the Caps)

Reactions: MartyOwns

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It’s December. You can’t expect Schneider to play every game for the rest of the season. So if you don’t think you can win this game despite Kinkaid this game in this situation, when are you are you going to play the backup.

It makes little sense to not play Cory back to back three weeks ago against Columbus and the Rangers, but possibly play him back to back this weekend (or worse start Kinkaid vs the Caps)
I don't expect Cory to play every game for the rest of the season, I expect Shero to get us a competent backup because the one we have isn't one.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I don't expect Cory to play every game for the rest of the season, I expect Shero to get us a competent backup because the one we have isn't one.

At this point it is what it is. A backup goalie isn’t worth spending assets on. You need to pick your spots for Kinkaid and play him vs bad teams you think win anyways or so-called bonus games vs out of division opponents where you can afford to lose.

Given the recent win streak and opponent...tonight is both.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
My guess is if Cory has an easy 20-25 save game he plays tomorrow. If he gets extended with a 40+ save game then it'll come down to 'how he's feeling' tomorrow, which still probably means he plays barring another supersecret minor injury.

If he has a bad game, maybe he gets rested anyway but it would be beyond mind-boggling if they play Cory tonight only to give Keith the division game with the second place team in the division.
God help us if we allow 40 shots or anywhere close to that to Buffalo!:shakehead

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
they just had a 3 day break and have their bye week next week. if cory is good to go you play him period

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

Save % is nearly worthless. Go back and look at the games. The 'Kincaid sucks' narrative is way overstated. He hasn't been good, but he hasn't been as bad as some say nor as his sv% shows.

@Ari: first goal unstoppable deflection screen, g2: moore blown tire, g3: carom off greene, g4: all alone between the circles; g5: terrible 5hole goal.

nyr:g1: should have had it- didn't cut the angle. g2: all alone in slot, no chance; g3:zuccarello breakaway no chance; g4: should have had it short side. g5: scramble at goalmouth. Not terrible, not good either.
made a couple of huge saves on Nash as well.

the @CHI .886 game was a ridiculous track meet. He had literally ZERO chance on just about every goal and he played his nuts off in the 2nd to keep us in it and give us a chance to come back and win, making some fantastic saves. 44 shots on goal against. g1: screened by Santini, never saw it, deflected top corner; g2:Severson fails to cut pass on 2-on-1 leaving debrincat alone in slot - no chance; g3: going wide, deflects off moore's back top shelf - no chance; g4:hishier leaves it in slot, deflects off Butcher's stick top shelf next to ear - no chance; g5: caroms off dasher behind net to hawk who backhands it top shelf. *maybe* he could have played that differently but its a tough chance.

in the @cgy .882 the only shots he faced in the early going were breakaways, penalty shots and wide open looks from the slot. Both he and Smith maybe had one they wanted back but Kincaid played great for the whole game. g1: ends up on frolik's stick in the slot. Maybe he could have had this by being tighter or with a better angle. g2: screened - maybe could have fought thru screen better? g3: all alone in the slot- no chance; g4: nice passing play, Bratt loses his man - breakaway - no chance.

ott: g1: 2-on-1 with Severson trying to make an circus ass-save instead of playing D. no chance. g2: oduya thru double screen + deflection. little chance. might have been out further. (stopped clean breakaway here too.) g3: 6-5, popped in the air - maybe he could have done something. g4: Terrible goal, not being tight to post and closing arm. he was brilliant in OT then and won the shootout.

He's had 4 goals he wants back and maybe 2-3 more that he could have done more on. That's not great goaltending, but considering the breakaways and shootouts and general mess in front of him, he's stopped a helluva lot more that he shouldn't have stopped, than ones he's missed.

All that said - glad Cory is in tonight... ride the hot horse.

Last edited:
Reactions: MartyOwns

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
If Cory can't handle 1 stretch of back to backs with a bye week coming up, then there are more serious problems with our goaltending situation. He's a big boy, he'll be fine.

Forget how early in the season it is, with how tight the division has been, it's the games like these you look back on towards the end of the season wishing we had gotten points here and have to take full advantage of.

Even if we don't come away with a winning record out of these next 2 games, you take the chance and ride what has been hot, not what has continuously let you down. There will be more chances for Kinkaid, but at this point in time given the circumstances, it should be a non-issue.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Trap game... but let's go boys. This is what good teams do... take care of teams at the bottom of the standings.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The fact that we’ve actually won a bunch of these games makes it a little easier. He almost blew it against Detroit (two stoppable goals and two goal blown lead in under a minute), two stoppable goals against Ottawa when we won in the shootout. One stoppable goal against Calgary and was really bad in the shootout.

I think he’s probably better than he’s played this year, but he’s been a liability in a lot of these games. He allows a bad goal a few minutes into the Rangers game, allows one other stoppable one later in that game. We played like that in front of Cory, and he’s allowed just one goal a couple of those times. It’s the difference between “Yeah, the D sucked tonight” and “The D was alright tonight”.

.893 is very poor goaltending, especially when the other goalie has a 30 points higher save percentage and one GAA lower behind the same team. If Kinkaid had only played 4 or 5 games, these numbers wouldn’t be quite as worrying, but he’s played 10 and started 8.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
eh, I get both sides…and I don’t care all that much either way. but I think the criticisms of kinkaid have been waaaay overblown. almost any backup goalie deserves a little more slack than this, and especially kinkaid. he’s made some ridiculous saves that offset the couple of clunkers he let in. now that we have an (almost) entirely healthy lineup, and we’re playing arguably the worst team in the league- why wouldn't we play him? cory may not need the rest, but if you don’t want your backup getting stale/rusty, a game against the sabres is exactly what the doctor ordered.

but again, i dont actually care that much. it's not like cory hasn't earned it. it's just going to be a bit silly if we 'waste' a cory game against buffalo and then throw kinkaid in there against washignton, so i guess my opinion could be swayed by tomorrow's decision.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Movie is fantastic, the father makes that movie. 'Fra-GEE-lay, must be Italian'....cmon people, thats GOLD.

V70gQTq.png

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Do you really think cory is gonna pull a Marty and play every game remaining. He's on a hot streak now, you ride him. If kk was on a hot streak, you ride him...thats coaching 101. Stats don't matter in that aspect

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
The fact that we’ve actually won a bunch of these games makes it a little easier. He almost blew it against Detroit (two stoppable goals and two goal blown lead in under a minute), two stoppable goals against Ottawa when we won in the shootout. One stoppable goal against Calgary and was really bad in the shootout.

I think he’s probably better than he’s played this year, but he’s been a liability in a lot of these games. He allows a bad goal a few minutes into the Rangers game, allows one other stoppable one later in that game. We played like that in front of Cory, and he’s allowed just one goal a couple of those times. It’s the difference between “Yeah, the D sucked tonight” and “The D was alright tonight”.

.893 is very poor goaltending, especially when the other goalie has a 30 points higher save percentage and one GAA lower behind the same team. If Kinkaid had only played 4 or 5 games, these numbers wouldn’t be quite as worrying, but he’s played 10 and started 8.
You have to look at the goals given up in each game... if theyre all deflections or he's screened, its no where near as bad as giving up goal on a clear shot with not interference. I get your obsession with cory, but every game I've watched that kk played (Minus the bad Arizona game), wasn't all his fault which you make it out to be. You know stats, but know nothing about playing the position (ie, weak goals claimed by you aren't in reality)...
And you can't do an even comparison of any goalie stats between a starter and a backup whose played less then 1/3 of the games (no matter which goalie)
I do think kk should start tomorrow, can t start cory every game.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
The hand wringing over Cory potentially playing back to back is just silly, I really don't get what the issue is. This was the last time he played back to back (at the beginning of our home stand) and it's exactly what you want to hear from your starter.

"It's almost an extension of that game," Schneider said. "So you gotta make sure you take care of yourself and have the energy, but I felt I competed hard tonight and working hard to find pucks. Sometimes it's better when you don't have any time to think and just go back and play. If they need me to play more back-to-backs, I've done it before and I can do it, and I love the opportunity."

"You look at any No. 1 guy in the league, and they go on runs," Schneider said. "They go stretches where they play eight, nine, 10 in a row, 14 of 15 or whatever. It's the time of year where if I'm feeling good and I'm playing, you gotta earn the net.

"I've always said that, you've got to deserve to be in there and play well and I feel like I am right now. I can't let that waver. I can't just assume I'm going to play. I have to maintain a high level of play and give them a reason to keep playing me."

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It is weird because the last time we spilt the back to back people were complaining loudly that Cory didn’t start both games to the point that the Fire Hynes crowd came out in force.

Thing is they split the back to back in division games (with no travel) that's the one time I would have been fine with doing back to back for Cory pre-March or later but of course he was nursing whatever, it's obvious now cause they're apparently playing Cory in a second back-to-back since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad