GDT: You play to win for Haula at Boston

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Gardiner was good tonight, until that turnover that is. Of course it was him that committed that mistake. Such a shame, as I think he really could have used the confidence this game potentially could have been. Ah well, sit him against San Jose, let him reset.
He needs to sit for a few games. He's been so bad so consistently this year that he just doesn't warrant being played anymore. If he didn't have the contract he does, there's no way he's getting starts right now. He's getting PT based on his reputation not his actual play, and that needs to change.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Even with his typical coach speak you could tell Brindy was pissed at Gardiner for this one.

"You want guys to make a play to win, but sometimes you have to know when to play it safe and live to fight another day"

That's the most I've heard him criticize a player all year. Usually it's all in defense of his guys, which you like to see out of a coach, so any kind of comment like that is noteworthy.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Even with his typical coach speak you could tell Brindy was pissed at Gardiner for this one.

"You want guys to make a play to win, but sometimes you have to know when to play it safe and live to fight another day"

That's the most I've heard him criticize a player all year. Usually it's all in defense of his guys, which you like to see out of a coach, so any kind of comment like that is noteworthy.
Rod doesn’t usually call out guys, but we know who he was talking about here.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
We've scored seven goals in our past five games.

This.

They desperately miss Haula. Wallmark held the 2C/3C fort down last year, but he’s just not, nor will he ever be a scoring line C. They also desperately miss what Necas brings. J Staal has turned into a larger offensive black hole. NN can’t buy a goal. Dzingel has been completely ineffective without Necas and Haula.

Gardiner deserves the crap he’s going to get from this one, but there are 19 other guys who have also been shutout in 2 of the last 3 games. At least TOR also lost tonight. I think they and PIT will be the main competition for the Canes for the last 2 wildcard slots...

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
This.

They desperately miss Haula. Wallmark held the 2C/3C fort down last year, but he’s just not, nor will he ever be a scoring line C. They also desperately miss what Necas brings. J Staal has turned into a larger offensive black hole. NN can’t buy a goal. Dzingel has been completely ineffective without Necas and Haula.

Gardiner deserves the crap he’s going to get from this one, but there are 19 other guys who have also been shutout in 2 of the last 3 games. At least TOR also lost tonight. I think they and PIT will be the main competition for the Canes for the last 2 wildcard slots...
Toronto gave up 5 goals in the last 10 minutes of a tie game

That roster might be needing a blow up in the near future

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
MDwbxtKH_bigger.jpg
FOX Sports Carolinas‏Verified account @CanesOnFSCR 2m2 minutes ago

"It was solid game until the last couple minutes, and unfortunately you got to play 60 minutes.It was one of those where 'which team was going to make the error,' and we did."
Rod Brind'Amour following tonight's 2-0 loss in Boston.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008

They -- and we -- are talking like they played the perfect game until that one mistake. We scored zero goals. It was not a *perfect* game to that point. We were going to lose. We may have gotten a loser point, but we weren't winning the way we played. We weren't scoring.

And I get wanting to sit Gardiner. He's been horrible. And when d-men make mistakes. they often cost goals -- and losses. But when do we talk about sitting Staal, who's been *at least* as responsible for losing games as Gardiner has. When do we talk about sitting Dzingel? Foegele? McGinn? Niederreiter? Aho?

The fact that we're 16-11-1 when, like, five guys have showed up for the first two months of the season, is pretty damn impressive.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
We may have gotten a loser point, but we weren't winning the way we played. We weren't scoring.

....And until Gardiner went full Gardiner neither were they....

But I guess only focusing on the Canes for not scoring up to that point is the drum you are going to beat on tonight.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
....And until Gardiner went full Gardiner neither were they....

But I guess only focusing on the Canes for not scoring up to that point is the drum you are going to beat on tonight.

Yes, shutting them out and going to OT tied at zero was a great game plan.

I don't know why we don't do this every night.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I’ll take the blame for this one. Only one of my teams is allowed to be good at a time, and the Wild have somehow looked competent lately.

The Canes, however, have started to look like the Wild used to.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I mean I love to argue with Kev as much as the next guy, but if you’re take away from this game is anything but, they got shut out for the 2nd time in 3 games and that’s bad, what the f*** are you thinking?

As Ned Braden famously said “We win games because I score goals you f***ing has been!”

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Just like the last season. Nothing new. At least our PK is f***ing legit. Our PP is much better. But we aren't very gifter offensive team, just like before last Christmas. We need Necas and Haula, we need improvements from everyone - Aho, Dzingel, NN, Staal and Gardiner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad