You can only keep 1

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
OK some head to head show downs here.

You can only keep 1 of each head to head show down.

Keep in mind contract status and future re sign value. Age.

Keep in mind what you could get for the other player on the open market in a trade.

Gunner----Franson

Kostka----Fraser

Kamarov---Kulemin

McClement----Grabo

Brown,---Orr---McLaren (only 2 can stay)

JMcLeaf

Gunner----Franson

Kostka----Fraser- I like Kostka but I think Fraser is better suited for bottom pairing than Kostka and brings toughness

Kamarov---Kulemin

McClement----Grabo

Brown,---Orr---McLaren (only 2 can stay)- don't really care which 2 tbh

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Franson
Fraser
Kulemin (toughest call)
Grabo
Orr/McLaren

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario

Keep in mind what you could get for the other player on the open market in a trade.

Gunner----Franson

Kostka----Fraser

Kamarov---Kulemin

McClement----Grabo

franson- i like gunnerson but franson is more dynamic in what he can bring the team.
fraser- big and strong excellent #6 D who knows his role.
Komarov- imo Kulemin is going to be traded, but i would like him to stay he is a great checking line winger, but komarov is grittier and if kulemin was as gritty i would prefer him
mcclement- if we have kadri and grabo not that #1 C (although i wish they would try that again for an extended period of time) so for that mcclement
Orr + McLaren- Brown is good but for what they bring orr and mclaren are far superior fighters.

AuGsY

Nov 7, 2011
Franson, Kostka, Komarov, Mcclement, Orr, Mclaren.

I like Fraser as well, choosing Kostka over him was tough. Mcclement at 1.5 vs Grabo at 5.5.....very easy decision there.

Last edited:

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Franson, Fraser, Komarov, McClement, Orr, McLaren

Reallllllly close with Komarov/Kulemin. But Komas trolling ability gave him the slight edge.

Took McC over Grabo because of the huge cap difference. 4+ mil could be used to sign a pretty good FA/give raises to our FA's

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
Franson - Gunnar is a great defender, but with Franson finally getting the opportunity to play top PP he shows his value to this team. The guy is just money. Also brings size to the lineup and his skating has vastly improved under the tutelage of Underhill.

Fraser - This was an easy one. Fraser is the perfect #6 defenseman: he plays a simple game, throws his body, clears the front of his net, and sticks up for his teammates. While Kostka is great, he suffers from the depth we have on defense. We have guys that are better offensively (Franson, Gardiner, Phaneuf, Liles) and he isn't really known for his defensive acumen. Fraser has more value to us relative to what both he and Kostka bring to the game.

Komarov - This was the hardest decision of all. Kulemin is an excellent player but the physical presence Komarov brings to the game is the deciding factor. Kulemin has the size advantage but he mostly uses his size for protecting the pick rather than pulverizing opposing defensemen on the forecheck. I feel Kulemin will be dealt at the deadline for futures and Komarov will be on this team for years to come.

McClement - Like one poster said, the $5.5M price tag that comes along with Grabo made this decision for me. I remember I was a little upset over the summer when McClement was the only FA acquisition by Burke, but boy has Jay made a strong case for himself. The guy is an absolute stud on the PK and barely ever loses a puck battle. He is CONSISTENT. Grabo has had trouble with being consistent his entire career, which is a big problem. Don't get me wrong, I love Grabo and the way he gets concussed every game by opposing defensemen, but this one goes to McClement.

Orr, McLaren - With Orr, we have one of the top heavyweights in the game. You know when he's out on the ice the opposition knows it, and they adjust their play accordingly. With McLaren, we get a top light heavyweight that can actually skate and play hockey. Very impressed with his play, as I was a little puzzled when Nonis picked him up on the waiver wire. Yes, Brown is a sparkplug on the fourth line but I find he has a big issue with staying in control and playing within the confines of the rules of the games. He takes too many crippling penalties.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca

Gunner----Franson

Kostka----Fraser

Komarov---Kulemin

McClement----Grabo

I only have a prob with McClement----Grabo. Love em both but they are two different players. Grabs is picking up the slack, doing 3rd line duties and he shouldn't be, but that is not his fault.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
don't really understand the McClement Grabo pairing why wouldn't you actual make a close comparison and say keep one of Bozak or Grabo

Well, i wanted to see what folks thought was the best option for that checking line, C.

Right now i don't see any other option to C kessels line, other then Boz.

Sure Kadri could fit, but then the other line losses it's O flare.

A Kadri---Bozak face off would be mute, it would be Kadri in a land slide.

Plus these very well could be head to head face offs our GM will have to face. Kinda why Holzer is not part of it, he still has waiver options left, Kadri,Frat,Gards,Dion,JVR,Kess,Lups are not in any head to heads because i don't see any position conflict or need/want to move out any of them.

Given the roles they share and the likes.

Last edited:

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
Gunner----Franson

Kostka----Fraser

Kamarov---Kulemin

McClement----Grabo

Franson has been terrific so far last year but are you guys forgetting how good Gunnarsson was on the top pairing last year?

mohare

Dec 13, 2010
Gunner----Franson
Better offense, right handed shot.

Kostka----Fraser
Like them both, but I think Fraser is a cheaper re-sign and does his role to perfection. I think Kostka is not quite offensive enough and not quite big enough to be a big shutdown guy.

Kamarov---Kulemin
This one isn't really that tough. Komarov hits more and is a pest, but Kulemin does everything else better.

McClement----Grabo
I really really like McClements game.

I think we have enough players like Brown on our team, and of all of the similar type players, I think he brings the least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad