You are Jeff Gorton.

What direction are you taking this team...?

• Total voters

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Must trade:

Hayes
Zuccarello
McQuaid

Would trade:

Kreider
Shattenkirk
Namestnikov
Vesey
Fast
Strome
McLeod

Dream of trading:

Staal
Smith
Beleskey

I would trade Kreider of course I would be expecting a major return for him.

We need high draft picks and high end prospects. Zuccarello, Hayes and McQuaid aren’t going to get that done.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
The league nerdw to know he's willing to deal, but only if it's a good deal. He's been great at that thus far...he's not ripping guys off left right and center (who does?), but he's also not making terrible trades for no reason either
He loses some and he wins some, and that's what you want.

Not criticizing you, but genuinely curious (maybe I'm foregtting), which trades do you think he outright lost? For the most part I think he's one or at least gotten fair value. The only one he was panned for on here was the McD+Miller trade, that was ridiculous on the part of our fans. He got what was most likely market value (maybe slightly less) for those guys. I won't go into a deep defense of why this is, but I think people largely overestimated what McD was worth for 1.5 years and with really great prospects like Point and Sergachev felt we 'lost' the trade because they weren't included (which was always a bit of a pipe dream IMO).

I feel whatever return Fast would get would be less valuable than keeping him. He is a guy the younger players could learn from and his cap hit is small. We don't have to resign him for that next contract if we don't see fit.

But what's the point of losing him for nothing. We can easily sign older vets who the players can learn from. I think Fast can get a solid return and I just don't see any justification for keeping him on this team. He will be older and overpaid by the time we compete. If the only reason for keeping him is to have the kids learn from a good soldier, then we should surely jettison him ASAP.

Until Shesty is actually in the US, Georgiev should be on this team. Hank is signed for two more years. Someone is going to need to be the back up after he is gone and Shesty is the starter. Why not Georgiev?

I guess maybe I was thinking a bit longer term on this one. I don't think there's any need to trade him now unless someone throws out a ridiculous offer like a 1st or 2nd rounder. Still I don't see him having a future with this team once he finds his footing. Shesty will be here soon and the whole Russia thing and players not coming over is severely overblown.

I think Shatty and Pionk are redundant, I'd prefer to keep Pionk. Sure, for the right price he can be moved but I'm not sure the return would be more valuable to us than he would be. I don't want to trade Andersson but I would if the price was right.

So what is the price on Andersson? I mean there's the old adage if Gretzky can be traded so can anyone, but do you really see someone offering a package for Lias that would make you feel comfortable moving him? I don't.

I agree Shatty should be moved, but I also feel ADA and Pionk are redundant. ADA is far better already, he's younger and he has much more potential than Pionk. I guess if we didn't have ADA I might be more receptive to keeping him, but if they get an offer of anything more than a 3rd (E.G. 2nd+) they should move him. I'm probably lower than him on most around here, but I just don't see him being a good player down the line for us. I hope I'm wrong if we choose to keep him, but I think he's just been put in a perfect position this year to up his value. Seems to me to be more like a Raphael Diaz on steroids.

Last edited:

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
But what's the point of losing him for nothing. We can easily sign older vets who the players can learn from. I think Fast can get a solid return and I just don't see any justification for keeping him on this team. He will be older and overpaid by the time we compete. If the only reason for keeping him is to have the kids learn from a good soldier, then we should surely jettison him ASAP.

Fast isn't Kreider or Hayes nor does he have much value. If it came to that, do you really mind losing a guy who really doesn't hold much value? Let's say he is here until he is 30, does losing a 4th rd or later pick we might recoup for him, really matter all that much? Or you trade him then and see what you can get. It likely will be a very marginal return.

I guess maybe I was thinking a bit longer term on this one. I don't think there's any need to trade him now unless someone throws out a ridiculous offer like a 1st or 2nd rounder. Still I don't see him having a future with this team once he finds his footing. Shesty will be here soon and the whole Russia thing and players not coming over is severely overblown. I think outside of he and Shesty, and maybe the guy they took last draft our goal tending prospects are meh.

Goalies for some reason almost never have the value that positional players have, outside of the really good ones. See Raanta and Talbot for us. Most of us felt they would get higher returns. Georgiev is likely along the lines of them, likely less valuable due to less experience. Shesty may be here next season, maybe he spends a season in the AHL and comes in to split time with Hank in Hanks last season? I don't know how they will work that. I think Georgiev will be here this season and next.

So what is the price on Andersson? I mean there's the old adage if Gretzky can be traded so can anyone, but do you really see someone offering a package for Lias that would make you feel comfortable moving him? I don't.

I tend to agree with you here or the Rangers add Andersson to a package to attract a bigger fish. Maybe he becomes a piece to get a true top 2 or top 4 defender? I'd guess that Andersson holds at least similar value to Puljujarvi and I think Lias is the better, more complete player at this point. Just because I would trade him in the right deal does not mean I want to trade him. I'm not sure he is better than Howden right now, who I think will be a high end third line C at least and maybe a 2C....maybe. Andersson hasn't been given much of an opportunity but then he also hasn't shown much either in the AHL or with the Rangers.

I agree Shatty should be moved, but I also feel ADA and Pionk are redundant. ADA is far better already, he's younger and he has much more potential than Pionk. I guess if we didn't have ADA I might be more receptive to keeping him, but if they get an offer of anything more than a 3rd (E.G. 2nd+) they should move him. I'm probably lower than him on most around here, but I just don't see him being a good player down the line for us. I hope I'm wrong if we choose to keep him, but I think he's just been put in a perfect position this year to up his value. Seems to me to be more like a Raphael Diaz on steroids.

The reason I would tend to be inclined to hold on to both ADA and Pionk is that they likely don't hold tremendous value in trade and they are young enough and with enough experience to play for us until the next crop of guys are ready. They are young enough to be included in that, both are 23, I think their value increases from here. Somebody has to play D for this team for the time being.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Not criticizing you, but genuinely curious (maybe I'm foregtting), which trades do you think he outright lost? For the most part I think he's one or at least gotten fair value. The only one he was panned for on here was the McD+Miller trade, that was ridiculous on the part of our fans. He got what was most likely market value (maybe slightly less) for those guys. I won't go into a deep defense of why this is, but I think people largely overestimated what McD was worth for 1.5 years and with really great prospects like Point and Sergachev felt we 'lost' the trade because they weren't included (which was always a bit of a pipe dream IMO).

I guess maybe I was thinking a bit longer term on this one. I don't think there's any need to trade him now unless someone throws out a ridiculous offer like a 1st or 2nd rounder. Still I don't see him having a future with this team once he finds his footing. Shesty will be here soon and the whole Russia thing and players not coming over is severely overblown.

Definitely lost the hagelin trade..assuming that was him and not sather...who knows. Definitely not a fan of the staal trade..I'd call it a big old loss but that's me.

I'm sure there are others but I'd need to see em all.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
There's only 1 player on the roster I wouldn't be actively shopping...and that's chytil.

Anyone else I'd be all ears on.

Howden less so than most...I really love his game but he's clearly hit a wall. In 2 years I could see him being a 50 to 60 point 2 way center with some good skill level....maybe even more.

Lias....I'm less sold on him than most but it would take a nice offer for me to give him up...say a top 15 pick this year for him like the isles did with reinhart

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
There's only 1 player on the roster I wouldn't be actively shopping...and that's chytil.

Anyone else I'd be all ears on.

Howden less so than most...I really love his game but he's clearly hit a wall. In 2 years I could see him being a 50 to 60 point 2 way center with some good skill level....maybe even more.

Lias....I'm less sold on him than most but it would take a nice offer for me to give him up...say a top 15 pick this year for him like the isles did with reinhart

The acquisition of Howden has made Andersson somewhat redundant, which is a good thing, since that's how you build organizational depth. The problem is that Andersson carries the tag of "7OA" which is what his critics cannot look past, and use as the blunt instrument to hammer the Ranger drafting approach, even though every other 1st rounder they've selected has been for players with boom potential.

Reactions: Inferno and Riche16

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Gorton and other GMs constantly make the comment that once a player is drafted, where he was drafted is irrelevant. True statement unless ur a fan trying to criticize or praise a GM/scouting staff.

Andersson is a young player, currently in our system and we should all be hoping, fingers crossed etc.

Yet... we can also be honest about his development.

Where he was picked doesn’t matter tho. Where the supplies for the painting were bought is irelevant as long as the final piece is art.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
All depends whether they plan on going nowhere with this coaching staff or hire a legit coach like Quenneville.

If there are no good offers for Zucc, then re-sign him for 2 years cheap in hope he has a good season and then trade him.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
All depends whether they plan on going nowhere with this coaching staff or hire a legit coach like Quenneville.

If there are no good offers for Zucc, then re-sign him for 2 years cheap in hope he has a good season and then trade him.

The Zucc marriage is done.

That much is obvious.

It’s just a matter of when, and for what return.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
There was a Zucc deal to be made at last year's deadline... They were too busy with the McD deal going down to the wire.

Zucc offer was very last minute.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Definitely lost the hagelin trade..assuming that was him and not sather...who knows. Definitely not a fan of the staal trade..I'd call it a big old loss but that's me.

I still don’t look at the Hagelin trade like that because he wasn’t doinn well here at that point, and he flopped on the Ducks too prior to finding a niche with the speed of the Penguins.

The Eric Staal trade was definitely a stinker. He was a shell of his former self by then, and he hadn’t sniffed a playoff game in years.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Fast isn't Kreider or Hayes nor does he have much value. If it came to that, do you really mind losing a guy who really doesn't hold much value? Let's say he is here until he is 30, does losing a 4th rd or later pick we might recoup for him, really matter all that much? Or you trade him then and see what you can get. It likely will be a very marginal return.

I mean, I guess if it's a 4th or later I might not do it. But I really think we can get better than that for him. He is a really good bottom line guy. He has a lot of playoff experience. He kills penalties and is a good defensive player in crunch time. Fast is the exact type of rental cup aspirational teams go after and give up a 2nd for. I easily see him garnering a 3rd and maybe a 2nd+, that's why I'm sold on moving him.

Goalies for some reason almost never have the value that positional players have, outside of the really good ones. See Raanta and Talbot for us. Most of us felt they would get higher returns. Georgiev is likely along the lines of them, likely less valuable due to less experience. Shesty may be here next season, maybe he spends a season in the AHL and comes in to split time with Hank in Hanks last season? I don't know how they will work that. I think Georgiev will be here this season and next.

Agreed completely.

I tend to agree with you here or the Rangers add Andersson to a package to attract a bigger fish. Maybe he becomes a piece to get a true top 2 or top 4 defender? I'd guess that Andersson holds at least similar value to Puljujarvi and I think Lias is the better, more complete player at this point. Just because I would trade him in the right deal does not mean I want to trade him. I'm not sure he is better than Howden right now, who I think will be a high end third line C at least and maybe a 2C....maybe. Andersson hasn't been given much of an opportunity but then he also hasn't shown much either in the AHL or with the Rangers.

I think you need to double check his performance at the AHL level and come back around on this one. He has performed very well in the AHL and barely got a chance here with the nightly minutes Quinn was giving him. Also, he is only 19, the fact that he's on the cusp of the NHL right now is telling in itself. I understand what you're saying, but I really am against moving him unless the package is really enticing.

The reason I would tend to be inclined to hold on to both ADA and Pionk is that they likely don't hold tremendous value in trade and they are young enough and with enough experience to play for us until the next crop of guys are ready. They are young enough to be included in that, both are 23, I think their value increases from here. Somebody has to play D for this team for the time being.

Agreed, but again it's all about price. I think Tony D has and shows the potential to be one of the premier offensive D in this league. I just don't see that with Pionk. Moreover, whereas Tony D is underrated on defense, Pionk is severely overrated. He is just not that good. I'd like to see him with a capable D partner and not matched against top pairs to get a better assessment, but I just don't think he's good and would move him for anything 2nd or above.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY

Doh. Totally forgot those were even him, especially the Staal one. I guess the good thing is, that was a different time (I still think he didn't have full reign at that point) and over the past year+, when the situation has drastically changed and he is now the builder of this team, there has been some really good or really fair trades. I don't think he's lost one since the rebuild began.

The acquisition of Howden has made Andersson somewhat redundant, which is a good thing, since that's how you build organizational depth. The problem is that Andersson carries the tag of "7OA" which is what his critics cannot look past, and use as the blunt instrument to hammer the Ranger drafting approach, even though every other 1st rounder they've selected has been for players with boom potential.

I'm much more excited for Andersson than Howden. I still think people are riding high off of Howden's hot start, but I honestly felt that Andersson was the better player when he was up here. Howden hasn't looked good in quite some time imo and I'd be inclined to move him before moving Lias. Although I'd certainly hope to keep both at the moment (unless we decide to keep Hayes in which case I have no idea what to do).

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
3 penalties, -2, 6 SOG and zero points for CK last three games.

7X7 for a 29 year old..? I'm skeptical.

Mika hasn't scored a goal in the last 9 games. 8 of his last 9 games have been scoreless. -9 +/- last 13 games.

Neither one of these guys should be considered untouchable.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
If I am Gorton at this juncture I am sending Chytil, Howden, Georgiev and Nieves down and recalling something like Belesky, Fogarty, Lettieri, Tokarski.

I would be trying to use my AHL team as a developmental league.

(I actually would have went into the season like that, yet at this point I just can't really see anything good coming from keeping the youngest players up with the NHL squad.)

If the AHL squad does not do well from that point I am very interested in investigating why not. I mean I am going to be putting a bunch of prospects there over the next several years and I need to know if changes need to be made.

Most of them will probably be back post trade deadline, but between now and then is likely to be a stretch of terrible play and anxiety among the likely departing that I just don't think the youngest really need to play through.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

Mika hasn't scored a goal in the last 9 games. 8 of his last 9 games have been scoreless. -9 +/- last 13 games.

There are 0 players who are untouchable for this team. Every single one could and maybe should be traded outside of Chytil.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Because of his last 3 games you are skeptical? And Kreider is 27.

Are we really back to debating the +/- stat again?

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Because of his last 3 games you are skeptical? And Kreider is 27.

Are we really back to debating the +/- stat again?
He'll be 29 when he needs a new contract. And I'm not skeptical because of the last 3 games. Scroll back and read my reason's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad